DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
0 members and 563 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Honda civic question....
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Honda civic question.... - May 1, 2007, 12:33 AM

Hey just wondering if I can put a hitch on my car. I have a 2000 honda civic SI. Im probably gonna be moving to Florida begining of August and was thinking about just renting a U-haul trailor to bring my bike and things down but i dont have a truck. So just seeing if I can and should just get a hitch. I want to buy a truck before I head down there but not sure if that is gonna happen yet. Thanks!

~~Jenny~~
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SpankyJB  
Unread
  (#2)
DCSB.net NC division

May 1, 2007, 12:52 AM

is it possible? = sure.
would i recommend it? = not if you like your bike or your car

the problem is the type of trailer hitch that you can get for a compact car isnt sufficient for towing anything more than one of those small trailers - 400-500 lbs max before you're risking not being able to stop, or breaking something and possibly losing the trailer.

What i did was rent the Uhaul truck and used the trailer hitch setup on there to tow a whole other car. You could probably pack the bike in the back of the uhaul with all your stuff if you really wanted to - its got a pull-out ramp.

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#3)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

May 1, 2007, 05:43 AM

this might work for you... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154

check out sportbikerchic's (SBC) car and trailer
http://dcsportbikes.com/forums/3/852891/ShowThread.aspx

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

May 1, 2007, 06:08 AM

I'm thinking she doesn't want to keep the trailer once she gets to FL and since she's getting the truck.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#5)
Street Bonk Bum.....

May 1, 2007, 06:51 AM

i have seen people at the track trailer with a civic. you should be fine. http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2000_Honda_Civic.htm here are some hitches. if it makes you feel better i have even see someone tow a bike with a geo metro LOL i bet that guy probably avoided all steep hills . like stated before i would double check to see if your brakes are in good condition and pads are in good shape. but as long as you leave alot of following space for the car in front of you should be good.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Like a clown car on fire

May 1, 2007, 07:20 AM

If you're just towing a bike on a small open trailer, then the civic will pull it fine with a hitch kit. If you want to pack up a larger trailer with boxes of stuff, furniture, your tv, mattress, etc (typical apartment sized move), I would not use a civic to pull it. I'd agree with boost on renting the truck itself, throw your bike in there and just tow the civic.

You can also try one of those services where they bring an empty shipping container to your house, you pack it with your stuff (inc. bike), then they pick it up and ship it to your new address. I've never looked into it specifially, but i've heard it's comparable in cost to the whole u-haul thing, especially for longer distances.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#7)
Typical Stripper

May 1, 2007, 07:22 AM

Integra

Civic to follow shortly.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

May 1, 2007, 09:14 AM

neon

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#9)
Road Kill

May 1, 2007, 09:21 AM

My roomate tows with his LS Integra... but its got about 40 more lbs of torque than the B16 you have in your Civic. The brakes should be ok if you get yourself some aftermarket pads. But again, your motor is considered the torqueless wonder, its not going to like being a tow bitch. My advice would be to get a Uhaul truck, tuck the bike in the back with the other things, and tow the civic down on a dolly or flat bed.

I put the bike in the back of my Uhaul when i moved... just use a blanket and some ratchet straps... it wont even move.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

May 1, 2007, 09:29 AM

Civic
Quote from Jeff:

Quote:
Got my hitch from this place online and installed it myself, pretty easy and used a Uhaul wiring harness.
==> http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

The trailer is the mini Harbor Freight one, modified a bit to support the bike and add some length to the tongue.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

May 1, 2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdemon
is it possible? = sure.
would i recommend it? = not if you like your bike or your car

the problem is the type of trailer hitch that you can get for a compact car isnt sufficient for towing anything more than one of those small trailers - 400-500 lbs max before you're risking not being able to stop, or breaking something and possibly losing the trailer.

What i did was rent the Uhaul truck and used the trailer hitch setup on there to tow a whole other car. You could probably pack the bike in the back of the uhaul with all your stuff if you really wanted to - its got a pull-out ramp.

+1 on this.

I suggest renting a uhaul truck and a uhaul car trailer.

Load all your junk in the truck, including the bike. Put your car on the trailer and down to florida you go. Much much easier, less wear and tear on your car.

just my opinion.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#12)
Street Bonk Bum.....

May 1, 2007, 09:59 AM

you could just not move and save ur self the trouble.....moving sucks
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

May 1, 2007, 10:16 AM

Fuckin put it on your car... don't listen to these pussies.

Make sure your car can deal with the extra load (oil, fluids, brakes), but beyone that there are no fuckin mountains on the way to florida... You'll be just fine.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

May 1, 2007, 10:48 AM

hell Elena towed her bike to the track with an old CRX. she did just fine.
Unread
  (#15)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 1, 2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I might just go with renting the truck and all.. I dont need to pack much cause the apt is gonna be fully furnished but my jobs gonna pick up the tab on moving expensese so what the hell!

~~Jenny~~
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SpankyJB