DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
3 members and 519 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
House problems
Unread
  (#1)
Owner & Creator

House problems - June 3, 2008, 10:26 PM

MY gf owns a condo in Alexandria, she has been renting out to tenants. Well with all the rain and stuff, the roof kinda fell down, and the walls have water seeping through. The place basically has water damage. The HOA or condo people, said they wouldn't do any work until she paid the condo fees which she owed. She paid all the condo fees and now they are making her go through loops and it is raininig now.

They are saying that HOA only has $1000.00 budget for each house to fix, and they are trying to get all the board of directors to come up with a plan.

Now the tenants don't want to pay rent for this upcoming month, and want my gf to pay for their tv and furniture and what not. My gf works in the ER so she get no service. She's been calling them and emailing them everytime and they keep on pushing her to the side. Is there someone else she can talk to? The complex is located in Alexandria, Pembrook Village.

What are her options?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Popplers!

June 3, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage
MY gf owns a condo in Alexandria, she has been renting out to tenants. Well with all the rain and stuff, the roof kinda fell down, and the walls have water seeping through. The place basically has water damage. The HOA or condo people, said they wouldn't do any work until she paid the condo fees which she owed. She paid all the condo fees and now they are making her go through loops and it is raininig now.

They are saying that HOA only has $1000.00 budget for each house to fix, and they are trying to get all the board of directors to come up with a plan.

Now the tenants don't want to pay rent for this upcoming month, and want my gf to pay for their tv and furniture and what not. My gf works in the ER so she get no service. She's been calling them and emailing them everytime and they keep on pushing her to the side. Is there someone else she can talk to? The complex is located in Alexandria, Pembrook Village.

What are her options?

and
Unread
  (#3)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 3, 2008, 10:34 PM

First off she is not responsible for her tenants property even though they are living in her house. Thats what renters insurance is for.

I would suggest she calls her home owners insurance company to get the ball rolling on the repairs and than she sticks her foot up the HOA ass just for good measure

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#4)
Banned!

June 3, 2008, 10:35 PM

first thing is to immediatly repair the issue...cover the hole and take lots of pictures...

take the thousand and get the cheapest repair...maybe i can help with that...ran a HI business for 4 years...i even know how to kill termites for $2.95

then if they say pay for my tv,

TELL THEM TO FUCK OFF.

theres a thing called RENTERS insurance...morons these days.

all i know is that the damage needs to be repaired because if moisture goes to the foundations of the walls...(2x4's) everyone is screwed.

exposed 2x4's to water goes bad real fast...i think you saw a 2x4 laying outside for a week while it rained...itll warp discolor and weaken instantly.

drywall and shingles are semi cheap, but carpets or wooden floors take the big hit.

2 cents
Unread
  (#5)
old fat and slow

June 3, 2008, 10:36 PM

laywer, homeowners insurance, renters insurance, eviction.

laywer for the homeowners assoc.

homeowners insurance to cover other damage caused by leak to structure of condo, walls etc.

renters insurance for their personal items if they dont have it sorry about their luck.

eviction if they dont pay rent, lawyer also helps with this and collecting money owed after they trash the place before they leave.

anyone that has rental property should require renters insurance as part of the lease. it is for the landlords protection as well as the renters. it's cheap and covers more than most people think.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 3, 2008, 10:42 PM

I require all my tenants to have renters insurance. Its in their lease I at time do not in force it because if they do not have it i can use it to break the lease and get them out of the building before the lease has reached it expiration date

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
a.k.a. Batman?

June 3, 2008, 10:50 PM

A couple years back the same thing happened to my old roommates house.
the roof caved in due to a water leak. Later that day the insurance company sent out people to start cleaning up the mess. Her insurance company should cover the damages to the property assuming they cover flood damage. Also another thing to look out for, my mom's insurance company pretty much doubled their rates when they found out she was renting out her house.

As far as the rent.. If the residence is uninhabitable they can legally back out of the rent, but only for the days not lived in. Va is a renters state. Good luck with all that. hope you find your answers..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Madman  
Unread
  (#8)
facebook what is that?

June 4, 2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs
I require all my tenants to have renters insurance. Its in their lease I at time do not in force it because if they do not have it i can use it to break the lease and get them out of the building before the lease has reached it expiration date
+1 I purchase an extra insurance i.e. "renters insurance" from state farm before we had our condo rented. Its not that expensive but it goes a long way.

\O/
/ /
|\ Seattle Mariners
/ |
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to gixxernoob  
Unread
  (#9)
need more knee down

June 4, 2008, 05:03 AM

everyone covered the basics. Good luck.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#10)
Largely Unsupervised....

June 4, 2008, 07:47 AM

If the place is a condo (where you own airspace, but not the structure), the Condominium Association is supposed to have a MASTER INSURANCE policy in place to repair any structure as each unit can have an effect on a neighboring unit. Of course, not paying the condo dues is problematic, especially if it is a common trend among condo owners. I've seen condo associations go bankrupt and the community spiral uncontrollably into disrepair, taking property values with it. I've never heard of a condo association setting a monetary limit per unit on repairs...makes me wonder if they've been paying the master insurance policy or misappropriating funds.

The Tenants can lump it, they took a chance by not acquiring Renters Insurance, it is fairly common for Landlords to require that Tenants provide proof of Renters Insurance within so many days of lease signing as part of the terms of the lease.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#11)
Owner & Creator

June 4, 2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbett
If the place is a condo (where you own airspace, but not the structure), the Condominium Association is supposed to have a MASTER INSURANCE policy in place to repair any structure as each unit can have an effect on a neighboring unit. Of course, not paying the condo dues is problematic, especially if it is a common trend among condo owners. I've seen condo associations go bankrupt and the community spiral uncontrollably into disrepair, taking property values with it. I've never heard of a condo association setting a monetary limit per unit on repairs...makes me wonder if they've been paying the master insurance policy or misappropriating funds.

The Tenants can lump it, they took a chance by not acquiring Renters Insurance, it is fairly common for Landlords to require that Tenants provide proof of Renters Insurance within so many days of lease signing as part of the terms of the lease.
She's done everything they've asked her to do, and they just keep on making her run in circles. Is there anyone she can talk to above them?
Unread
  (#12)
Spike

June 4, 2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs
First off she is not responsible for her tenants property even though they are living in her house. Thats what renters insurance is for.

I would suggest she calls her home owners insurance company to get the ball rolling on the repairs and than she sticks her foot up the HOA ass just for good measure

This is EXACTLY right Jonathan!!! They should have renters insurance, it is not expensive at all and whatever damage is done to their property is THEIR liability!

She needs to call her insurance company, have their lawyers go after the HOA. She also needs to keep up the fee's to them.

As for the rent for the deadbeats...if she made them sign a lease then she can take them to court for the full amount. Legally, the only way they can get out of the lease is if 1) she allowed a lease-break clause, and 2) if the government condemns the property.

(I never knew that workin in property management would come in handy!)

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

June 4, 2008, 08:06 AM

exterior: master hazard insurance policy (if the condo has it). If not, homeowners policy

interior: condo policy

tenants items: renter's policy
Unread
  (#14)
TEAM.SUKUZI

June 4, 2008, 08:28 AM

=( I wanted to say something but everyone beat me to it...
I also rent my home to people, and it's a headache. Just make sure u have a good lawyer...like Madman says, VA is a renters state. Insurance can only do so much...good luck.

sex addict