DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
5 members and 547 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Sal_the_man, TonUp, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 22, 2004, 08:35 PM

I'm thinking of getting my bathroom and kitchen done. Can anybody recommend me a good contractor for the job.

Metropolitan Bath & Tile quote me $3700 to replace my bathtub. That's replacing the tub (regular ceramic tub), replace the faucets (moen) and re-tiling. Is that too much?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Banned

July 23, 2004, 06:51 AM

it all depends on the quality of work, its just like bikes, you can pay a fortune for something that is a pos, or little for something amazing if you know people in the industry, ill say this, never get someone you dont KNOW is exceptional at what they are going to do work for you, even if they charge you an armand a leg, its ALWAYS cheaper to do it once

i work with a GC that charges a ton, we do 500k home renovations, dont be stingy it will bite you in the ass, half of the jobs are houses just full of shoddy work, the home owner get pissed off at his/her house looking like a mismatched jigsaw puzzle and we tear it all out and down and rebuild it better, faster, newer, stronger, etc etc

make sure you hire someone competent or learn to do it yourself, its not worth it to pay, then have to pay again and pay even more to make sure you get someone qualified and competent
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 08:21 AM

My neighbor does that for a living. Ive seen his work in some of the other townhomes in my neighborhood. Had him quote to finish my basement and bathroom.

I havnt really compared prices, so couldnt tell you if his bid was good or not comparitively. I can vouch for his good work though!

If you want his name and number, let me know.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 23, 2004, 04:22 PM

Yeah, I understand about being cheap or else it'll bite back. At the same time I don't want to overpay for something that can be done for less than $3700 for the same quality of work.

On another note, How is Metropolitan Bath & Tile's reputation?
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 24, 2004, 11:15 PM

Unless your bathtub is inlayed with marble and there are some other complications (perhaps space constraints), $3700 is pretty damn expensive. Putting in a bathtub is not rocket science.

The best advice I can give you is to keep in mind that ALL contractors skimp on materials and worksmanship and the best thing you can do is outline EVERYTHING you can think of in your contract agreement.

Write down EVERY detail and every requirement. Write down how you want it done, and how you expect it to look. Include deadlines, and penalties.

People often end up with shoddy work no matter who they hire, because they never made their requirements clear, and the contractors followed their own rule of doing the least they can for the most money they can get.