DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
6 members and 529 guests
BigDaddyShoo, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
How to buy a new mattress...
Unread
  (#1)
Still here

How to buy a new mattress... - February 5, 2007, 10:45 PM

Anyone have any suggstions on how to do this? Yes, I know...go to the store, find one you like, lie down on it, and buy it. Is there a way to comparison shop though or work deals?

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

February 5, 2007, 11:18 PM

i've tried alot. Sealy posturepedic is the best for me. its a little on the soft side if ur down with that. otherwise goto mattress discounters and anchor stores in the mall. Try out the beds they have there, then shop online. I don't really trust reviews because everyone has different preferences on firmness or softness of the mattress.

I bought my mattress from Costco. pretty good deal it was like a grand i think. Ur gonna have it for years so might as well take ur time and spend some dough on it.

i dont care
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

February 6, 2007, 12:29 AM

Like a bike you want to lay on them. Find the one that is comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#4)
Pleased to meet me

February 6, 2007, 07:02 AM

You could probably work a deal with the sales person but it may mean you have to "break in" your mattress before ya get home.
Unread
  (#5)
DCSB.net NC division

February 6, 2007, 07:17 AM

i read e-opinions for a few hours and decided. Not disappointed either. I've had a Select Comfort mattress and currently have an IsoForm memory foam mattress that i love.

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#6)
Republicans for Voldemort

February 6, 2007, 07:45 AM

I got to one of those mattress wearehouse places and check em out... ie lie on em... When the sales person comes by ... tell em you are shopping around - less you have a deal... If you already know the prices - they will usually come down cheaper than anywhere else

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#7)
Golf Pro

February 6, 2007, 07:51 AM

i tried them out at the stores and bought it online. Ended up with a queen size Tempur-pedic.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to EDness  
Unread
  (#8)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 6, 2007, 07:56 AM

Sealy posturepedic is what we bought at the mattress warehouse. Vstar buy a king size man are they comfy
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#9)

February 6, 2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95
Like a bike you want to lay on them. Find the one that is comfortable.
I buy my bikes for performance - not comfort.... hmmmm... might not be a bad way to judge a bed either...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 6, 2007, 08:54 AM

Check out a Sleep Number bed also. They have a store in Fair Oaks Mall as well as Potomac Mills. Try all the activities you would normally do on a bed.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#11)
Still here

February 6, 2007, 09:14 AM

LOL, the problem I've read about comparison shopping is that they change the names from store to store. So what might be a Sealy Pillow Top Fabulousness at Mattress Warehouse will be a Sealy Pillow Top Extrodinaire at Costco...making it hard to compare.

As for doing "all" of the activities on one that I would do at home....uh NO.
As for a King sized mattress...would be great, but I have a queen sized bed.

From what I've been reading it's all somewhat of a scam when it comes to buying mattresses

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#12)

February 6, 2007, 09:21 AM

Does it really matter what the name/model/brand is - if it feels right....

If you are looking for something specific - like to alleviate back pain - etc... Check out the select comfort bed - this is the one that allows you to adjust settings on either side... My g/f has one - and we use it in the house and it rocks... I love the different adjustments... I have a f*cked up back - and it allows me to get a decent night sleep .. It's not cheap - but it's worth it's weight in gold..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Unread
  (#13)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 6, 2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstargidget
LOL, the problem I've read about comparison shopping is that they change the names from store to store. So what might be a Sealy Pillow Top Fabulousness at Mattress Warehouse will be a Sealy Pillow Top Extrodinaire at Costco...making it hard to compare.

As for doing "all" of the activities on one that I would do at home....uh NO.
As for a King sized mattress...would be great, but I have a queen sized bed.

From what I've been reading it's all somewhat of a scam when it comes to buying mattresses
Costco changes the names on the products so companies can't price match based on the name. If you look at the features of comparable products, you can deduce they are the same. Plus Costco will always take it back for whatever reason as long as you have the receipt.

I just bought a Sealy Posturepedic Belmont at Costco for 500 OTD. They was a coupon for $120 off it's normal $599 price, but I think that may have expried on Feb 4th. This is actually about a $1200 (it's called Belmont Heights at other stores) mattress set for half the cost.

They way I researched it without sitting on a gazzillion beds was to figure out what type of sleeper I am (back, stomach, side, etc...) and then go from there. That's how I got away with buying my new matteress at Costco without ever sitting on it. Below is some of the research I dug up. I love this bed BTW.

First you will want to choose your support system. Your sleep position will dictate which support system is right for you.

Side Sleepers- People that sleep on their side need a very conforming support system that will evenly distribute their support along the entire length of their body. Too firm of a mattress for a side sleeper will create pressure points in your hip and shoulder. These pressure points will make a person toss and turn during their slumber. Eventually you will fall asleep but will awaken with circulatory issues like their arm falling asleep or their hip bothering them. Most of the time these circulatory issues are followed by lower back pain. The lower back pain is usually because the pressure in your hip will force you to twist your body slightly to relieve the pressure. This twisted sleep position creates the lower back pain.

Back Sleepers- Back sleepers can sleep on almost anything level. Most back sleepers enjoy a firm support and prefer a softer more luxurious surface.

Stomach sleepers- Stomach sleepers need a very firm support. Too soft of a support system will allow a stomach sleeper's back to sway down into the sleep system. This sway will kink the lower back and create lower back pain. Normally neck pain follows as your neck starts to get effected by the same downward sway. To prevent this sway you will need an extra firm support.

Hope this helps.

~dan
Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

February 6, 2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDness
i tried them out at the stores and bought it online. Ended up with a queen size Tempur-pedic.
How are you liking the Tempur-pedic? Ive heard mixed reviews about them...like they arent very good for people who tend to toss and turn throughout the night because of the foam. Basically, because the bed retains its position for a while after weight is removed, if you roll from say your back to your side, you would essentially be laying in an impression of your body laying on your back. Does that make sense? I havent layed on one to test this for myself, but I know I move around so damn much in my sleep im surprised I even wake up in my bed.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#15)
Playing with toys

February 6, 2007, 07:47 PM

Okay,
I just bought 2 King sized beds in December (on sale at Matress warehouse - buy 1 get one free).
First rule - Don't buy frames from that place (I picked up a set from Costco for $30 each - Universal for all sizes).
And secondly, shop around for a mattress pad - Matress warehouse was 2x everyone else was.

Check this out:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...ews/index.html

Also, its recommended that you lay on the bed your trying out for at least 20 minutes to really get a feel for it. Oh, and don't check em out sleepy (just like the rule of thumb of shopping for groceries when your hungry - you'll want em all).

Look for financing if you can get it (I pushed the guy for 1 year no interest). And Matress Discounters next to the Wendy's on 234 isn't the best place (I walked in literally at close w/the door open and they sent me out). So F'em, they lost out.

Last - Don't pay for delivery ($50+ is a joke). With my truck n' trailer I got all 4 box frames & two matresses in one load to the house). So seriously, hollar.

n8

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER