DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
1 members and 554 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

View Poll Results: How Much Music Do You Have?
1 GB or less 1 7.69%
Under 5GB 2 15.38%
Under 15GB 1 7.69%
Under 25GB 2 15.38%
Under 40GB 3 23.08%
Under 50GB 2 15.38%
Under 75GB 0 0%
Under 100GB 0 0%
100GB+ 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
How Much Music You Got?
Unread
  (#1)
Bling Blang Blaow

How Much Music You Got? - June 30, 2010, 01:24 AM

I'm looking at a new MP3 Player and I'm trying to figure out if I want an ipod of I need something else. How much music do you have and what do you all use? I think I'm going to go with an old Gen3 ipod with a 60gb hd

2003 Honda VTX 1800R - Modded to the MAX
2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

'You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in life time' --Burt Munro

RIP Wayne Thomas (AKA Godson) ...ride on my brother, ride on.

CheapMotorcycleDeals.com - My blog where I search for the best deals on Motorcycles for sale in the DC Metro Area (Updated daily).

Last edited by benlt1000; June 30, 2010 at 01:32 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Get Tarded!

June 30, 2010, 01:47 AM

It really depends on your compression format which also dictates what kind of headphones will actually sound better with you device. Personally I have a 16gb nano (I went nano for the size mainly sports, and the reason for the I pod for was the interface)

I have a external hard drive for backup and use only lossless compression formats, and every time I add a new album I set up the media manager to add it to my I pod, when I listen to it I rate it and the next time I plug it in to charge on my computer it removes poorly rated songs and refills it with new songs and rotates through ones I have rated highly.

So depending on your application you may not need a large device, but 60gb is a fair amount of storage to keep you entertained. FYI apple gives good discounts on referbs sometimes if you call them and Woot.com has I pods every so often for really killer deals.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 30, 2010, 01:52 AM

I had a 30gig ipod and filled it up, with tons of music not on the ipod. my comp crashed and i lost everything. I now just load what music i feel like listening to on my phone and listen to it there.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#4)
Agitator

June 30, 2010, 05:11 AM

150gb or so? Hmm...I'll have to check, but well over 100gb

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 30, 2010, 06:31 AM

I forget how much music I have on my computer, some 2000 songs I think. But I have a cheap mp3 player with only 2GB of space. I never fill the thing up. I never really got the point of having every song you own in ur pocket. Just my .02

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
TPG og

June 30, 2010, 07:49 AM

Around 30 gb I think. Put it on shuffle and go, everythings backedup from my 80gb ipod (soon to be Zune!) on 1tb external janks..... all of Lil waynes music alone is like 7gbs. I hate him but the ladies like him so I keep it around. Alotta long azz trance, hardcore and DnB mixes, alotta punk and rap.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#7)
Its me bytches..

June 30, 2010, 08:30 AM

Look at how much music you have now.. and how much you add on a yearly basis and do the math. When MP3's first became popular I downloaded every CD I could find. Problem is I have about 2500 albums.. and realistically only listen to less than 50.

I think a 60gig iPod is a great place to start. You can always sell and upgrade later.. Apple products hold their value pretty well so you wouldnt lose much if you decided to upgrade a year or 2 from now.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

June 30, 2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
Look at how much music you have now.. and how much you add on a yearly basis and do the math. When MP3's first became popular I downloaded every CD I could find. Problem is I have about 2500 albums.. and realistically only listen to less than 50.

I think a 60gig iPod is a great place to start. You can always sell and upgrade later.. Apple products hold their value pretty well so you wouldnt lose much if you decided to upgrade a year or 2 from now.
Yup, same albums get played out on mine, new albums get played from my fav artists when they release something new. Too much music, but then again when the mole people apocalypse occurs we will be stocked with tunes.

@ the OP - do you ever watch videos? Small screen sucks but helps pass the time on Metro. Average xvid movie is about 700mb a piece and a tv show episode is around 50mb.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
Its me bytches..

June 30, 2010, 09:01 AM

Dude I downloaded so much.. I had a few albums 3 or 4 times. In different kbs quality levels and a few in FLAC. Had some in mp4 format and more than a few in AAC that I've purchased off iTunes.

Itunes does something pretty cool for people like 'us' with way too music and not enough time to listen to it all. It keeps track of how many times you play certain songs.. Considering I now have several iWhatever devices.. the biggest of which being my new 32gb iPhone. I can fit most of my favourite music on there, but when I sync the other devices.. iTunes keeps track of everytime you play a song (or album) and installs the music you listen to most.

Its always interesting when I pull out my 2gig 6year old iPod Nano and watch it update the songs. Real easy way to see that I pretty much listen to the same stuff over and over.

You make a good point about video. I've just started putting video on my phone and it is a great way to pass time commuting. I have all the Family Guy Episodes from season 1-8 and simply laugh my azz off to work and back. If video is your thing.. you may want to consider an media player that has a bigger screen (3-4" screen). That way you can listen to music OR watch movies/video.

Last edited by Daekwan; June 30, 2010 at 09:03 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan