DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
3 members and 568 guests
beatle, davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
How to save on GAS!
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

How to save on GAS! - June 30, 2008, 08:47 AM

I copied and pasted this from an email I received. I can't confirm the validty of the information but I'd definitely try it out. It seems like some very useful information to me.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
Only buy or fill up your tank in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has 3 stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

June 30, 2008, 09:29 AM

I appreciate the concept of conserving energy, but most of this, in a practical sense, falls into the catagory of "urban myth". First of all, gas is normally stored in tanks buried at least four feet underground. Dirt provides very good insulation! The daily variation of temperature at that depth is close to zero. Even if the air temperature varies from 60 to 100 degrees from night to day, the temp of the contents down in the storage tank is not likely to vary more than a fraction of a degree at most, and not much more from summer to winter, either. It is unlikely that you will see any difference in fuel volumetrics during the transfer from underground tank to car (within the car's tank it could occur as the fuel warms or cools, but that has no impact on this issue). The only situation where this could have a practical impact is at a gas station with above-ground tanks, which is rare, but does occur in some rural scenarios. But then again, would you even notice a 1% change in your consumption?

As for filling up at the half tank mark, there is also a disadvantage to that. All fuel and gas tanks contain some small degree of "contaminent" material (solid particles of rust, dirt, water, etc.). A fair percentage is in suspension in the fuel when the car is moving (shaking the contents of the tank) but some settles when the car is at rest. By burning the stored fuel to a very low level most of the suspended stuff is burned out thru the engine and less settles in the tank to cause problems in the future. This problem is more acute with diesel fuel, which tends to be dirtier than gasoline, and the owners manuals of diesel vehicles frequently suggest burning to at least 1/4 of a tank before refueling to help prevent excessive tank fouling. Besides, if half is good, why not fill up at the 3/4 mark, or 7/8? That should be even better!

And for the rest of the ideas, some may be technically true, but unlikely to provide you with any noticeable or measureable impacts with the exception of the fill rate issue...fast fill into a mostly full tank can result in excessive spillage which does waste gas, so after the first auto-shutoff, complete your fill slowly. There won't be much fuel recycling prior to that, but may be some into the recycle system as well as spraying out of the filler if you aren't careful.

If you really want to conserve, drive more smoothly (anticipate stops and avoid hard braking), drive a little slower, and ease up on the accelerator and you'll save ten times as much as these other techniques!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

June 30, 2008, 11:52 AM

thank you for the clarification. i feel more comfortable about carrying on with my regular refueling methods.

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#4)
Agitator

June 30, 2008, 12:02 PM

Pitpig is correct...and a few other corrections to this chain o' urban legend

1. pumping slower will generate less vapor? The vapor is created by heat exchange, and the heat exchange is so slow the amount of new vapor (i.e. from gas that you have put in) is effectively zero--its the vapor on top that you are forcing out (bear in mind, we are talking the equivalent of at a maximum, 1/24th of a gallon (roughly)...and in fact, pumping slower means that the process takes longer, which results in MORE evaporation and loss.

2. vapor collecting in the gas tank is absorbed in a charcoal canister and re-introduced into the intake...so you are going to burn it anyway (and we are talking at most, the 1/24th of a gallon that would collect--the canister only is used to keep the pressure in the tank reasonable and to account for volume / pressure changes relative to the outside

3. if the gasoline pickup is at the bottom of the tank, you would get the sediment anyway...which is why its filtered before it gets to the pump, and filtered in your fuel tank by your fuel filter anywayas for stiring up sediment...where is this sediment comign from anyway?

overall, this email can be put into three categories...wrong, very wrong, and the exact opposite of what actually happens. yet pieces of tripe like this are continued to be passed around and passed around. Do your duty smart people of .net, save people the heartache and something out...that way, you can go "a-ha!" and not post/forward and save someone else the trouble of believing the crap out there.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#5)
.RJ
Project Mayhem

June 30, 2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
overall, this email can be put into three categories...wrong, very wrong, and the exact opposite of what actually happens.
But I read it on the internets it MUST BE TRUE!!1!!

Why are you such a party pooper with your stupid "science" ??!?!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to .RJ  
Unread
  (#6)
2 wheels for life

June 30, 2008, 03:45 PM

A similar post was there last year ..but some info is new tx
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Go Team Venture!!!

June 30, 2008, 03:57 PM

Great responses! How bikers get the rep of being uneducated risk takers, I will never know. Some of the smartest people I know are on this board and ride.

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#8)
Agitator

June 30, 2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
Great responses! How bikers get the rep of being uneducated risk takers, I will never know. Some of the smartest people I know are on this board and ride.

don't worry, I make up for smarts with slow riding

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#9)
Playing in the dirt

June 30, 2008, 07:00 PM

reminds me of explaining to people about octane ratings and why puting 94 in their car desigined for 87 actually hurt their performance...

"But it says super premium.. it must give me more power I could FEEL it."

or better yet "on XXXday dont buy gas... it will bring the oil companies to their knees"
Unread
  (#10)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 30, 2008, 07:58 PM

I had to explain this BS to a coworker that showed me it.

Ever notice how your balls get chilled after filling up?

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#11)
starbucks ADV rider

Smile June 30, 2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
that feels sooooo good!!
Unread
  (#12)
idiot

July 1, 2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
I had to explain this BS to a coworker that showed me it.

Uh, no?

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
08 Honda CBR600RR (wrecked)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)