DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
4 members and 536 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
how are so many car's able to "run away"?
Unread
  (#1)
Traction Control

how are so many car's able to "run away"? - March 10, 2010, 08:21 AM

With all the stuck gas pedal stories, why don't people put the fucking car into neutral and stop the vehicle? Are they not able to shift? Are people just that fucking stupid? I know that some wear out the brakes by trying to hold them, then the car breaks free, but still they could shift to N and just coast it out instead of hurdling at top speed into a car or something.

RIP to the victims, but seriously, is there some other factor that I'm missing?

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#2)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 10, 2010, 08:26 AM

people are stoopid and cant drive....thats the bottom line to it...

CCS AM # 204
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 10, 2010, 08:32 AM

Yes people are stupid! I was thinking the very same thing. What about the state trooper with 3 people in his yota and the 911 call. He was on the phone for what 10 minutes and he never thought to put it in neutral? Hell the 911 operator should have told him to do that. He and his 3 friends died cause of stupidity! I told my wife to put it in neutral and let the motor eat it! Just stop get everyone out and let her burn!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#4)
Owner of the Site Owner

March 10, 2010, 08:35 AM

ppl dont have your leet natural instincts Joesph

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#5)
just some dude

March 10, 2010, 08:46 AM

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03...by-chp-another

"Radio traffic indicated the driver was unable to turn off the engine or shift the car into neutral."

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#6)
SUPERBITCHIN'

about turning the key?

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#7)
Knarly Adventurer

It's all fabricated bullshit. Everyone's looking for their 15 minutes of fame and their hand out.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 10, 2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
about turning the key?
On the Prius there is no key just a button.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
The last urrbendah

March 10, 2010, 08:49 AM

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#10)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 10, 2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
It's all fabricated bullshit. Everyone's looking for their 15 minutes of fame and their hand out.
Yes, by dying.

Dodge, thanks didn't know they were push starts.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#11)
Traction Control

March 10, 2010, 08:52 AM

So how does a stuck gas pedal prevent the car from shifting into neutral? are those cars that fucked up?

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#12)
Open your mind

March 10, 2010, 09:01 AM

iirc, the Prius also does not have a mechanical shifter. Since it's all electronic it's possible that people weren't able to shift into neutral if the computer is screwing that up too.
Unread
  (#13)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 10, 2010, 09:02 AM

With these new fancy cars. it seems everything is electronic. When we think of putting a car into neutral we think of a manual lever moving a shift fork into the right location. These silly new cars don't have that. They have some fancy computer that operates a solenoid that puts it in the proper gear. These controls also have lock outs. There may be an algorithm that runs and If/Else statement. Something like If mph is over 10mph restrict manual gear change, else complete.
By law the only control component on car that is required to be hard fabricated is the steering system (which you have never heard of them failing) all other components can be controlled electronically thus opening the flood gates for problems.

Lets not forget that completely automated cars are coming someday. Can you imagine a semi truck fully automated having a glitch and taking out an entire city block or school?

This is probably just the beginning of what will become a problem for decades. God i wish i was a lawyer.
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

March 10, 2010, 09:06 AM

Um, before we go bashing people upside the head with the "stupid stick" - think how many motorcyclist you've heard of wrecking their bikes when the throttle stuck. All they had to do was hit the kill switch or pull in the clutch. But under surprise panic situations, not everyone has the presence of mind to do the obvious.

I think what we all forget is that shifting into Neutral on a newer car does nothing - The gear shift and parking brake are no longer mechanical on today's cars. They're simply physical controllers for "by wire" interfaces. So if the car's computer is malfunctioning, which is what I truly believe is Toyota's problem and the one they're either covering up or refusing to admit, you're pretty screwed with the first 2 or 3 things that may jump into your mind to do.

So, when the computer goes bat shit - slapping it into Neutral, pushing the E-brake button, or standing on the brakes do nothing until the error resolves itself. And the fact that people are STANDING on the brakes and Toyota's supposed "engine cut-out override" isn't activating points even more to the fact that it's a computer issue.

Not to mention - Toyota's Hybrid gear shifter and pattern is wackier than hell until you become accustomed to it.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 10, 2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Um, before we go bashing people upside the head with the "stupid stick" - think how many motorcyclist you've heard of wrecking their bikes when the throttle stuck. All they had to do was hit the kill switch or pull in the clutch. But under surprise panic situations, not everyone has the presence of mind to do the obvious.

I think what we all forget is that shifting into Neutral on a newer car does nothing - The gear shift and parking brake are no longer mechanical on today's cars. They're simply physical controllers for "by wire" interfaces. So if the car's computer is malfunctioning, which is what I truly believe is Toyota's problem and the one they're either covering up or refusing to admit, you're pretty screwed with the first 2 or 3 things that may jump into your mind to do.

So, when the computer goes bat shit - slapping it into Neutral, pushing the E-brake button, or standing on the brakes do nothing until the error resolves itself. And the fact that people are STANDING on the brakes and Toyota's supposed "engine cut-out override" isn't activating points even more to the fact that it's a computer issue.

Not to mention - Toyota's Hybrid gear shifter and pattern is wackier than hell until you become accustomed to it.

WTF is "B"

CCS AM # 204