DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 321
1 members and 320 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
I am NOT smarter than a Fifth Grader..
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

I am NOT smarter than a Fifth Grader.. - February 28, 2007, 09:04 AM

So who else checked out this show “Are you smarter than a fifth grader?”

Let me tell you, I turn this on with the pre-conceived notion that I am gonna ace this and how smart can a fifth grader be? I mean after all I am almost 43 years of age and have been around the block a few times.

UM….I barely made it past when Columbus Day is recognized. Now here is my question since I don’t have kids. Are all kids today this smart or did they just pull the cream of the crop for this show?

I mean come on! I thought Calculus was Caesar’s Barber until I was in 10th grade. They asked this fifth grader “If the base of a triangle is 8 inches and it has an area of 16 inches how high is it”? Little genius knew instantly the answer was 4…of course the adult contestant didn’t.

Now how did that young boy know that? Why did he know that? Better yet…. why do I need to know that? In case I get the urge to build a Teepee in my front yard and need to avoid the power lines? I mean seriously, when I was a fifth grader in math class I would rely on an Origami Fortune Teller for the answers when I was called on by the teacher. Went something like this, the teacher would ask:

“Craig (that was my Maiden name) if Johnny had four apples, gave one to Sally and threw one away because of a worm, how many would he have left?” I would be like “No problem teach, I got this one…My mother told me to pick the very best one and it is YOU!” I would lift up the flap and confidently yell out “SEVEN?”

I saw a lot of corners that year….opps I mean Right Angles.

Honestly, when I was that age I thought Dewey Decimal was just another guy trying to make a point… bawhahahaha. I crack myself up….. Ok Bad joke. Besides that everybody knows that Dewey Decimal was some librarian guy that ran for President of the United States against Truman.

Anyway…..This fifth grade stuff is more challenging than I remember. You people with kids have your hands full. Seriously, they asked these kids who the first U.S. President ever impeached was and they all knew it was Andrew Johnson, however I do wonder if you ask them what they know about Condoleezza Rice, if they won’t answer “Oh yeah, my mother makes that with chicken”. I don’t even want to know.

Oh well that’s my rant. Now I have to get to the going..... I just learned that the bank isn’t adjusting my interest rate using prime numbers.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
Busa Squid

February 28, 2007, 09:12 AM

Dude trust me. those kids are out there but not the norm. i know of typical teenagers who dont know what a triangel base is. that is more the norm.

-SeaTec
05' BUSA
07' ZX10R
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
DAS BOOT

February 28, 2007, 09:16 AM

I watched that last night! I didn't get Colubus day either... it AMAZED me that the guy who bragged about being from UCLA and going to Law school didn't know some of these things! He did make it passed the 3rd question!
At least he got $5K out of it

And honestly, kids (now) are way smarter than we were in 5th grade. My son has already disected two animals...and I didn't touch one until 9th grade!

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#4)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

February 28, 2007, 09:16 AM

I got the REM question right
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#5)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

February 28, 2007, 09:21 AM

the only answer i got was columbus day....

i sux on history....LOL

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

February 28, 2007, 09:26 AM

I'm with you on this. the kids on the show probably are smarter than the norm! I thought I was smart but over the years, i've forgotten everything i learnt in high school and hell, some of college
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

February 28, 2007, 09:30 AM

Here is my take on schools today. Im 32 years old. Grew up in Miami and went to school in different locals. Elementary part time in private school and part time public school in a poverty stricken area. junior (middle) and senior in the suburbs (middle class).
When I went to school we breeched different topics based on a curriculum. You learned a broad spectrum. There was no specific subject or test to aim towards.
Today's students are taught to pass a standardized test. There is no learning involved. This brings up another sore issue in my eyes, but it involves non-English speaking kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#8)
Track Ho

February 28, 2007, 09:32 AM

I got the triangle question, go Virginia Tech math minor lol

I thought it was funny the history major did not know the first president to be impeached

and I thought polar bears ate penguins

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#9)
TIMMEH!

February 28, 2007, 09:32 AM

Well, I definitely think the kids are smarter than the norm...However, the larger factor is that they were asking 5th graders what they learned in 4th and 5th grade. I mean, if you gave me a test after Calculus class on what we learned that day, I would ace it, no problem.

But when the question of "If the base of a triangle is 8 inches and it has an area of 16 inches how high is it" came up...My wife got a blank expression on her face. I, of course, being the math nerd that I am, immediately said "Area = 1/2 x Base x Height. The answer is 4." Now, the fact that I completely froze on the "What was the name of the ship the Pilgrims came over on" question is simply a matter of me not using that information for a long time. Eventually, sure, I said "Mayflower." But damn, that didn't come easy!

So I think the larger problem is that they are asking adults questions they probably haven't used or thought about in roughly 30 years, whereas they are asking kids stuff they JUST learned.

And by the way, on the Presidential impeachment question, I took a flier on Andrew Jackson. I told my wife "I can't remember if was Andrew Johnson or Andrew Jackson! I'll go with Jackson." Correct answer: Andrew Johnson of course!

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

February 28, 2007, 09:40 AM

Since when does knowing when Columbus Day is make you smart? It may make you observant, or mean you have a good memory, but smart? That show will not last, as it was boring. I watched the first 3 questions and changed the channel.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#11)
I just peed a little

February 28, 2007, 10:04 AM

I only missed the question about which president was the first to be impeached and I had NO clue what it was.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#12)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 28, 2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95
When I went to school we breeched different topics based on a curriculum. You learned a broad spectrum. There was no specific subject or test to aim towards.
Today's students are taught to pass a standardized test. There is no learning involved. This brings up another sore issue in my eyes, but it involves non-English speaking kids.
BIG +1 ON THIS!!! All schools care about these days is getting the money from high scores on those S.O.L. tests. Allthough I will say this once my son moved from 5th to 6th grade at a middle school he is pulling A's and B's cause the teachers treat him like a preteen not a little kid.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#13)
I am a bitch, so what?

February 28, 2007, 10:15 AM

http://www.fox.com/areyousmarter/features/index.htm

I didn't watch the show but went to the site and took the quiz. I don't see what's so hard about it...

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#14)
Ling Long

February 28, 2007, 10:15 AM

I'd say those are average suburban 5th graders.
Kids are getting smarter and smarter these days as there's a lot
more information they HAVE to learn to be active in today's society
and a lot less time to learn it in.

I still remember taking Calc 1 my senior year while some ten years
prior Gemoetry was a 12th grade class... times change, kids have
to get smarter or get left behind.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#15)
TIMMEH!

February 28, 2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6SheDevil
http://www.fox.com/areyousmarter/features/index.htm

I didn't watch the show but went to the site and took the quiz. I don't see what's so hard about it...
On the show, they don't give you multiple choice answers. You just have to know it.

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600