DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
0 members and 544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
I know I am a cranky old fuck.
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

I know I am a cranky old fuck. - April 21, 2010, 11:16 AM

At least that is what my wife keeps telling me. She certainly has a point as I get more and more short tempered as I get older. So I want to know if I am right to get ticked off over this.

My son outgrew his knee braces so after the first GNCC race in Florida I decided to stop by Cyclegear and pick up a new set. Just so happens that the latest and greatest new knee brace from a certain company, lets call them BPX, had just come in to the store. So $400 later, we had brand knew knee protection. A few days later was the second race. 15 seconds into that race, he got tangled up in turn 2 and went down. Low speed stuff, not a major crash. The inner knee cup on the brace cracked. My son did not even remember hitting his knee.

It was cold that morning, so I wondered if the plastic was not rated for temps below 32 or something. Over the winter when he was running an indoor mini moto series, the buckle on his neck brace made by the same company broke when he clicked it together. So same company, two piece broke that really should not have. So I sent off an email and wait. Several days later no response so I make a call. Talk to the gal in charge of broken stuff, and she said she was checking into it. Seemed real concerned about it as this was the first report of anything breaking on their flagship new knee braces. She was going to research the supplier in China to see if the plastic was made to spec. They were so new, that they did not have parts for them yet. She promised to call me when the parts came in and she would send them out to me.

The braces were still wearable so we continued to use them waiting for a call. Fast forward 6 weeks and another low speed crash results in the outer knee cup on the other brace is broken. The plastic tab that holds it in place snapped off. So back to making phone calls I go. Up to this point, I was pretty mellow, but ticked off about $400 braces breaking so easily. Receptionist says the gal is not in yet, so I leave a voicemail. No call back, so I call again. Each time I call, the receptionist gets more inquisitive, asking more questions about who I am, who I am with, what it is in reference to, etc. Phone never rings in the gals office, long pause on hold, then straight to voicemail. I started getting the impression that I was being avoided.

I finally get to talk to the gal and she says, "Oh, I thought someone called you." I was told to send the knee braces in and they would sew a new inner knee cup into it. I asked if they could just send me a new piece to put in since what it is sewn to is velcroed in. She said no that this is the way the owner and product development guy want to handle it. So since they are on the left coast and I am on the right, it will be 5 days UPS there, however many days getting repaired and then 5 days UPS back. However, I was more than welcome to Next Day Air their brand new broken product back to them so that my son would not have to race too many times without knee protection.

Now maybe it is just me, but I would think a good reputable company who makes their money selling pieces of gear designed to protect important body parts would jump through hoops when their latest and greatest product falls apart when a 12y/o boy falls off his motorcycle at low speed. Wonder what will happen when an adult with some weight behind him smacks something?

So their solution is for me to spend money getting their broken product to them and being without protection for several weeks. My solution is to take them back to Cyclegear for a refund, let them deal with it and buy some Asterisk knee braces that are better made. Iíll hang on to the neck brace with the broken buckle and just keep using wire ties to hold it together.

So the big questions is, am I right to be ticked off with how they are handling it? I know it could certainly be worse, but I would think they would have been more interested in making it right.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

April 21, 2010, 11:29 AM

No your not right to get ticked off out how they are handling this. Reason being is that damn near every business runs their warranty department this way.(Especially in the motorcross and bicycle fields) The reason being is that they are going to inspect the knee brace to make sure that it is still in good shape to be used. Just cause you may think that is the only damage it may not be. May be fractures in other parts of the brace that have now made this brace unsafe to use, which if they were to give you the part to fix the known problem and your kid crashes and the brace breaks, thus injuring you kid further they have now opened themselves up for a lawsuit. What you should do is suck up the money to overnight it to them (most companies will ship the product back the same way it was shipped to them) get it inspected and fixed correctly and then go about your merry way!

If they said "hey sorry your kid crashed on em' nothing we can do" then yeah you have a right to be pissed but they didnt. So chill out, drink a beer and overnight them the brace and tell your kid to quit crashing! < last part was just a joke!
Unread
  (#3)
mac
V-Twin Junkie

April 21, 2010, 11:38 AM

Bummer. If it were me, I'd return the defective goods for credit and get an adequate substitute for your son so he can continue racing. In the meantime, I'd send company "BPX" a formal letter of complaint and see how they deal with it, if it's even worth the effort. It doesn't sound like company BPX has gone through adequate customer support training . . . critical for any business, let alone one that manufactures or sells safety equipment. One huge complaint about a bad product or service could crush a business, especially when distrubuted by an influential member on a forum like DCSB.net.

Work to ride and ride to work.

2003 SV1000
2001 GS500E
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

April 21, 2010, 11:41 AM

Do you have a right to be pissed off? Yes.

Is there a guarenttee that the product will survive more than one hit? Probably not, but we all expect high dollar safety equipment to last. There's bad luck, but two products from the same company that have failed before you expected them to sounds like bad products to me. Being pissed isn't going to make them build a better product. Spend your money elsewhere.

Some companies are more responsive to end-users than dealers. Others are the other way around., Sounds like this company doesn't do well with the end user, so go to the dealer. That's one of the reasons for paying dealer markup, to get some support when it's needed.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 21, 2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
The reason being is that they are going to inspect the knee brace to make sure that it is still in good shape to be used..
What you should do is suck up the money to overnight it to them (most companies will ship the product back the same way it was shipped to them) get it inspected and fixed correctly and then go about your merry way!
They were willing to send the parts for the neck brace, and the part for the other knee brace where the outer cup broke. So I don't think they are inspecting the brace overall. She did say during the initial call that they would want me to send them the broken piece to inspect the material, but initially she was just going to send me parts when they came in.

She said I was welcome to next day them to her, but that they would ship them ground back.

Like I said tho, I am going to let Cyclegear deal with it. I called the 1-800 number and they said no prob, just ship them to them or drop them off at a local Cyclegear store. There are two between here and the next race, so I will stop in and take care of it there.
Unread
  (#6)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

April 21, 2010, 12:13 PM

That is pretty assinine. You should send them bto Cyclegear for a replacement and let them deal with it since you paid the markup for that service. If I were you I would go for a different company in the future. Unfortunately I don't know if there are any, and if so what their customer service is like.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 21, 2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
At least that is what my wife keeps telling me. She certainly has a point as I get more and more short tempered as I get older.
Yes... yes you are.

I don't disagree with you in this case. I'm only know your side but yes, it does seem like you were getting the run around on the phone yesterday.

drt_Jumper - I understand what you're saying and I can respect that they wouldn't want to just take our word for it, but would rather inspect the product. But it's the appearance of the lack of wanting to deal with this until Todd made such a pest of himself that the woman had to answer the phone.

BTW, the knee braces he outgrew were made by this same company and we had NO issues with those knee braces. The buckle on the neck brace that broke was relatively new. The EMTs had cut the straps off of his neck brace when he was medivac'd out of the GNCC Snowshoe event last June and we bought new straps shortly after that. I don't remember when she had said they switched to the Chinese plastic company but that buckle snapped in Jan and the knee brace plastic broke the first week of March.

I'm not ready to bash the company because Donovan was wearing a lot of their product when he had his horrific crash at Snowshoe last year. I don't think Todd is at that point either. I think he just wants to confirm that he's not getting old and cranky.

Rossi - Asterisk is one of their competitors and Donovan's trainer is sponsored by them. We have a phone call in to them. Even if they can't help us directly, we'll still be stopping at CycleGear on our way to Loretta's this weekend to turn in these braces and pick up a set of Asterisk braces.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#8)
Get Tarded!

April 21, 2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
No your not right to get ticked off out how they are handling this. Reason being is that damn near every business runs their warranty department this way.(Especially in the motorcross and bicycle fields) The reason being is that they are going to inspect the knee brace to make sure that it is still in good shape to be used. Just cause you may think that is the only damage it may not be. May be fractures in other parts of the brace that have now made this brace unsafe to use, which if they were to give you the part to fix the known problem and your kid crashes and the brace breaks, thus injuring you kid further they have now opened themselves up for a lawsuit. What you should do is suck up the money to overnight it to them (most companies will ship the product back the same way it was shipped to them) get it inspected and fixed correctly and then go about your merry way!

If they said "hey sorry your kid crashed on em' nothing we can do" then yeah you have a right to be pissed but they didnt. So chill out, drink a beer and overnight them the brace and tell your kid to quit crashing! < last part was just a joke!
Ditto and the only company that blows customer service out of the water is 661 in the protection department. I wrote them a thank you for having their MX/ MTB gloves save my ass on the street they held up better than I could have dreamed sliding across four lanes!

I had a response in my box for a killer deal to buy new gear to replace my damaged stuff and new grips, OSX sunline handlebars, Grip glue, Wire, and and a shorty brake lever for $60+!!!!!!!!!! (that was a gamble lever because it was tagged DRZ.... didn't fit : (..... But they sent it from california to here in two days with new gloves and all.

I have dealt with them many times racing mountain bikes and they always go above and beyond. Every time.

They do helmets, braces, protective suits, amazing gloves and a slew of parts.

Check them out you will not be disappointed.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#9)
Get Tarded!

April 21, 2010, 12:53 PM

Check out the 661-MX-2 KNEE BRACE

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650