DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 192
1 members and 191 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
I Need Tech Help!!!
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

I Need Tech Help!!! - June 29, 2009, 10:30 AM

Ok so this might seem easy, but its not for me.

How do I rip DVD's onto my computer? I just want to back them up on my laptop so when i go away i can have them saved to watch on the trip.

How can I make and exact copy of DVD's? This would be for work, I have a training business and the traing DVD set that i use is $400. I would like to make back up copies so i can give that to my other instructors rather then my only copy. So i would need an exact copy with full menu options with it. Most of the programs that i looked at says that it will back up entire movie only without the menu.

Also what does "splits one DVD-9 movie into two DVD-5 discs" meen?

Can anyone recomend a program that will help me with my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

June 29, 2009, 10:57 AM

http://www.dvdxcopy.com/

This program works pretty well, does direct DVD-DVD copy's as well as archiving to your laptop.

Splitting DVD to multipe DVD's is when your source is on a 8.5GB disk and the destination media are 4.7GB disks... you will need mutliple destination disks.

Note that most DVD's are copy protected and do not copy well.

Might also want to try this: http://www.magicdvdripper.com/

And here is pretty decent reveiw of some DVD software: http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Unread
  (#3)
Owner & Creator

June 29, 2009, 11:01 AM

I have all that info at home, I rip them then merge them to a .vob file then save it on my 1TB external, then play them on the big screen
Unread
  (#4)
i suck at the introweb

June 29, 2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976mike View Post
http://www.dvdxcopy.com/

This program works pretty well, does direct DVD-DVD copy's as well as archiving to your laptop.

Splitting DVD to multipe DVD's is when your source is on a 8.5GB disk and the destination media are 4.7GB disks... you will need mutliple destination disks.

Note that most DVD's are copy protected and do not copy well.

Might also want to try this: http://www.magicdvdripper.com/

And here is pretty decent reveiw of some DVD software: http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
yes i know that my work dvds are copy protected, but i thought since i own them i can back them up? But i need to copy them with the full menu options on the back up dvd.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 29, 2009, 11:27 AM

Some DVD's work with some software suites better than others... I have a bunch that I use (listed above). Depending on what Copy protection is envoked, will determine which software app I use to "make my personal archive". - Yes to other DVD media with menu's.
Unread
  (#6)
i suck at the introweb

June 29, 2009, 12:12 PM

dvd cloner 6? anyone hear about this or use it?

Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

June 29, 2009, 02:54 PM

http://handbrake.fr/?article=details

I use this all the time. it will serve your purpose.

I use it to rip my DVD's and then put them on my iphone.

just google DVD ripper

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

June 29, 2009, 03:04 PM

F- to me... Handbrake is on Windows now!

get that one definitely. It is the only one I run on my Mac. F'ng genius I am, didn't even think about it.
Unread
  (#9)
i suck at the introweb

June 29, 2009, 03:18 PM

ok downloaded handbrake how do i use it

Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

June 29, 2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
ok downloaded handbrake how do i use it

http://trac.handbrake.fr/

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

June 30, 2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
How do I rip DVD's onto my computer? I just want to back them up on my laptop so when i go away i can have them saved to watch on the trip.

How can I make and exact copy of DVD's? This would be for work, I have a training business and the traing DVD set that i use is $400. I would like to make back up copies so i can give that to my other instructors rather then my only copy. So i would need an exact copy with full menu options with it. Most of the programs that i looked at says that it will back up entire movie only without the menu.

Also what does "splits one DVD-9 movie into two DVD-5 discs" meen?
I have used DVD Decrypter for years to rip DVDs. It even rips discs your not supposed to be able to rip in short order. Here's a page with a link to DL and basic instructions how to use it.
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

In terms of using it on your laptop, you could simply burn backup copies from images you pull from the disc. You could also mount the image file and use the DVDs that way. That way you could have the DVD images and not have to carry them around necessarily if you have adequate storage space. A free program that does this is Daemon Tools Lite http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

The difference between a DVD-9 and DVD-5 is mainly their storage capacity. DVD-5 is a single sided disc that holds 4.7GB. The DVD-9 is a single sided, double layered disc that holds 8.5GB... so a DVD-9 movie can hold roughly twice as much. So that is why there is an option to split a DVD-9 into DVD-5 discs.
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

June 30, 2009, 09:24 AM

i've used dvd decrypter also.. works well

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
Banned

June 30, 2009, 12:54 PM

I use dvd decrypter to rip from dvd to hard drive. Then I use AutoGordionKnot to convert it to different file types for whatever purpose I need em for.
Unread
  (#14)
i suck at the introweb

June 30, 2009, 01:52 PM

ok so i tried handbrake, dvd shrink, and magic dvd copy and no success

Unread
  (#15)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 30, 2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
http://handbrake.fr/?article=details

I use this all the time. it will serve your purpose.

I use it to rip my DVD's and then put them on my iphone.

just google DVD ripper
handbrake rules!
windows & osx compatiable
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tiblot