DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
5 members and 559 guests
davidcycle, knonfs, Scot, Slider, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
I you haven't heard yet, this is WRONG. Fight for our rights.
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

I you haven't heard yet, this is WRONG. Fight for our rights. - March 1, 2009, 02:32 AM

The link speaks for itself. Please watch this video and help fight against people shamelessly raping the rights of tomorrow's riders, their parents, and our sport.

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/news/Let-The-Kids-Ride,2987

Thank you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 1, 2009, 09:52 AM

because the lead content of such parts as brake handles, tire stems and battery terminals exceeded allowable limits.

I almost could have seen it if it was the paint but it doesn't seem to be.
Wouldn't it be cheaper for the dealers to powdercoat the brake handles, change the tire stems but I don't know that kids will ever touch the battery terminals!

Don't they also know when we ride we wear gloves!

Gov't in their infinite wisdom!!!

I wonder if Obama knows this new law is putting people out of work and costing companies like this money and hurting our economy even more!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm

Last edited by n2sport; March 1, 2009 at 09:54 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

March 1, 2009, 11:13 AM

Well, it may sound silly but on the other hand, lead is a serious exposure concern, especially with children. The neurological effects of lead exposure in children are permanent and tragic, and according to the CDC, there is no safe level of lead in the blood of children or adults. This statement as well as real-world guidelines are spelled out in this CDC document in which it is stated:

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has established an ambitious goal of eliminating elevated blood lead levels (BLLs) in children by 2010, a qualitatively different goal from earlier goals that focused on reducing the BLL considered toxic by various target amounts. Recent research on leadís health effects at low levels, which suggests societal benefits from preventing even low level lead exposure in childhood, underscores the importance of this public health goal.
Arguing that the inclusion of youth motorcycles and atvs in this ban is wrong because it affects the industry just isn't going to fly. Manufacturers simply cannot get away with having lead in their products, not with the ambitious goals of the HHS in place. If there is lead in the controls of a motorcycle, even wearing gloves does not guarantee that exposure will not occur. The trace amounts of lead transferred to the external surfaces of the gloves may then be absorbed, ingested, or inhaled, depending on how the gloves are handled.

This is not a government pet project. Extensive research has shown that lead is a severe toxicant and has no beneficial or neutral effects in the body. Again, there is no safe level of lead in the body. For more information, please visit the EPA lead exposure site.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 1, 2009, 11:20 AM

Come on now OSD, have you read the parts that they are complaining about. Some of them easily fixed but others like the battery terminals why don't they ban cars.

Toys were suppose to be the focus of this with kids putting things in their mouths. No one should let their kid work on the battery and if they do they should know they need to wear gloves and wash their hands.

Why pull the bikes off the market and just not force them to replace the few little parts that are touched on a regular basis. Some of the parts would cost under $50 to replace and these bikes could be sold.
There is a better solution than just ban them to protect the kids from lead.
Sounds to me like a perfect opportunity to pull an item off the market that someone didn't think was safe for kids to begin with!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

March 1, 2009, 11:25 AM

I agree. I don't understand why there has not been a recall issued for just the lead-containing parts. I was just presenting the case from the public health perspective. What I'm trying to say is that I agree with the impetus but not the implementation.

Bike manufacturers are clever enough to get through this, I hope. Those bikes should be back out on the showrooms once they are compliant.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Spike

March 1, 2009, 11:32 AM

Starts with not allowing smokers in the door now it's moving to other areas. Those that don't smoke think it's fine to keep us smokers out of bars and restaurants b/c it's something you don't like. Now that it's infringing on things you do like and support, it's not ok. You see, they start small then it spreads like a disease to control all we love. Some say riding is too dangerous and we shouldn't do it. It's bad for us and we could die. Same w/ smoking. It's bad for me, it can kill me, NO ONE LIVES FOREVER ANYWAY!!
My point of this rant is that 'they' want to stop everything we love b/c it 'may' contain harmful things. We grew up on it and we are just fine!!!! Let the kids race, let them get hurt and let them grow up with the great memories we did!!! Too much freakin codling if you ask me...don't live on 'it could happen', live for the love of it. You'll die anyway, if it's doing something you love then you'll go w/ a smile on your face!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 1, 2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz View Post
Starts with not allowing smokers in the door now it's moving to other areas. Those that don't smoke think it's fine to keep us smokers out of bars and restaurants b/c it's something you don't like. Now that it's infringing on things you do like and support, it's not ok. You see, they start small then it spreads like a disease to control all we love. Some say riding is too dangerous and we shouldn't do it. It's bad for us and we could die. Same w/ smoking. It's bad for me, it can kill me, NO ONE LIVES FOREVER ANYWAY!!
My point of this rant is that 'they' want to stop everything we love b/c it 'may' contain harmful things. We grew up on it and we are just fine!!!! Let the kids race, let them get hurt and let them grow up with the great memories we did!!! Too much freakin codling if you ask me...don't live on 'it could happen', live for the love of it. You'll die anyway, if it's doing something you love then you'll go w/ a smile on your face!
Come on now, I am all for examples but these 2 stretch it a bit.
Selling bikes to kids is a parents choice and it only affects that family.
Smoking around people is proven to cause cancer and I have no choice in your decision. If I want to live healthy and still enjoy going places I shouldn't have to deal with others decisions that make it impossible for me to do so.
Now if they took all cigarettes off the self, now you may have a case!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

March 1, 2009, 11:46 AM

I have never heard of anyone denied entry into a bar or restaurant because they were a smoker. It's the burning cigarette that we object to. Lead is not a maybe, it is a definite. If a product contains lead in such a way that the lead is not trapped within the product, and if a child handles it, that child will receive an internal dose of lead. There isn't really much speculation here. Lead designated as a toxicant and regulated accordingly is one of the refreshing examples of evidence-based decision-making. Coincidentally, so is the tobacco story.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 5, 2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
. Lead is not a maybe, it is a definite. If a product contains lead in such a way that the lead is not trapped within the product, and if a child handles it, that child will receive an internal dose of lead.
Do you see many kids chewing on battery terminals? My 11y/o has more seat time than some on this board, yet he has never been exposed to lead. Know why? Because he never hacksawed his engine apart and started gnawing on the engine case.

It is a stupid knee jerk reaction by the gov't where they did not think about the ramifications of their actions. Now that situation has been explained to them, their response was, "Oh, we did not mean that. Don't worry. We will not prosecute for that. That was not our intent." Well the manufacturers wisely don't trust them and have chosen to pull everything instead of being prosecuted in Federal court.
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

March 5, 2009, 05:55 AM

Then one or more of the manufacturers needed to educate someone in congress about this. Looks like they never saw it coming or didn't take it seriously enough.

Believe me, I know there are countless idiots pretending to know what they are doing who would love to see anything smaller than a full size SUV banned from the road and all dirtbikes banned, period. Congress is a repository for them. On the other hand, the US Government is deadly serious about lead exposures, especially after the Washington DC drinking water debacle, the Baltimore lead paint tragedy, and the Chinese toy mess. It's best to avoid using lead in your manufacturing processes and be proactive about lead-acid battery shielding and concealment.

Read this article: http://enews.ttnet.net/cgi-bin/enews....6ke&chap.html

Mentioned within:
Vitrano said the motorcycle council submitted scientific support with the petition, including a toxicologist's analysis of exposure to lead from the clutch and brake levers. The risk from handling those parts is substantially less than the default amount of lead in food and water, the attorney said.

This is exactly what the dirtbike/ATV interest groups need to do.
Also:

Congress gave the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission only limited authority to grant relief from the new lead limits.

The commission said it will accept a manufacturer's determination that a lead-containing part on its product is inaccessible to a child and not subject to the new lead limits, if it is consistent with the commission's proposed guidance or is based on a reasonable reading of the inaccessibility requirement.

As I already mentioned earlier, the complaint that it hurts an industry is just not going to get the job done. The Commission did not ban the industry, it banned lead. Get the lead under control and prove it is contained with actual evidence and expert witness testimony, and you're good to go!

Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 5, 2009, 07:42 AM

Snagged from our local hare scramble board:
http://vchss.net/viewtopic.php?t=9614

What is the issue?

Quote: Feb. 12, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (877) 877-8969
E-mail: peter.terhorst@sympoint.com

AMA calls for all motorcyclists to help stop the ban of youth OHVs

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The sport of off-highway recreation is seriously threatened by recent legislation that imposes strict lead content guidelines on children's everyday toys. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) has effectively banned the sale of youth off-highway vehicles (OHVs). The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is calling for action now to help reverse the potentially devestating effect this could have on the sport of OHV recreation.

"The unavailability of youth OHVs will devastate family OHV recreation and cripple amateur competition, creating a domino effect across all aspects of motorized recreation," said AMA Vice President for Government Relations Ed Moreland. "All motorcyclists, whether they recreate off-road or not, need to come to the defense of our youngest riders and help ensure the future availability of youth OHVs."

A quick and effective way to help is to write or call your representative and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and let them know petitions exist to exclude certain vehicles from the final rule governing the law. You can send your representative a letter by using the Take Action button in the Issues and Legislation section of www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com. To contact the CPSC directly, use the contact form here.

According to section 101(a) of the enacted legislation, all youth products containing lead must have less than 600 parts per million (ppm) by weight. The CPSC has interpreted the law to apply to various components of youth OHVs including the engine, brakes, suspension, battery and other mechanical parts. Even though the lead levels in these parts are small, they are still above the minimum threshold.

In order to assure continued availability and access to youth OHVs, the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) and Specialty Vehicle Industry Association (SVIA) submitted petitions to the CPSC asking that certain vehicles be excluded from the final rule governing the law.

"It is critical that Congress and the CPSC know that these petitions exist and that by acting on them they will maintain a vital form of recreation for American families, preserve youth racing and protect the thousands of jobs associated with this industry," Moreland added. "We are asking all motorcyclists to write or call their representatives and the CPSC today and ask them to approve the petition to exclude youth OHVs from the CPSIA lead content requirements."

Who should you contact?

For Business Owners:

http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1417057&r...n.doc&g=0&f=-1

Through the AMA:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

Directly to the Consumer Protection Agency:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/info.aspx

To your congressmen:

http://www.tomself.com

Direct contact:

Sen. Mark Warner

B40C Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-2023
Fax: 202-224-6295

State Office: Norfolk
101 W. Main Street
Suite 4900
Norfolk, VA 23510

State Office: Richmond
5309 Commonwealth Centre Parkway
Suite 401
Midlothian, VA 23112

State Office: Abingdon
180 West Main Street
Abingdon, Virginia 24210

Sen. Jim Webb

Hampton Roads
222 Central Park Ave.
Suite 120
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Phone: 757-518-1674
Fax: 757-518-1679

Northern Virginia
1501 Lee Highway
Suite 130
Arlington, VA 22209
Phone:703-807-0581
Fax:703-807-5198

Norton
756 Park Avenue, N.W.
Norton, VA 24273
Mail to: 756 Park Avenue, N.W.
P.O. Box 1300
Norton, VA 24273
Phone: 276-679-4925
Fax: 276-679-4929

Richmond
507 East Franklin Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: 804-771-2221
Fax: 804-771-8313

Roanoke
3140 Chaparral Drive
Building C, Suite 101
Roanoke, VA 24018
Phone: 540-772-4236
Fax: 540-772-6870

Washington, D.C.
144 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-4024
Fax: 202-228-6363

Toll Free Number
1-866-507-1570

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 5, 2009, 07:44 AM

and a little more info:
Quote:
As someone who works on Capitol Hill advocating before Congress and federal agencies, let me tell you that sending emails to Congressional Committees and signing online petitions are well meaning but WORTHLESS efforts. They don't mean a thing. And all you are going to do by contacting the Committee staff is tick them off. They don't answer to constituents, they answer only to Members of Congress. Here's what you need to do.

1. Call the Washington DC office of your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator. You can call the Capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Representative and Senators offices. (if you don't know who your U.S. Representative or Senators are, follow these links: House http://www.house.gov/Welcome.shtml (enter your zipcode in the upper left hand column), Senate http://www.senate.gov/ (Select your state from the upper right hand corner).

When you are connected to the offices, ask to speak to the person who handles issues related to Consumer Product Safety. Be prepared to leave a very short, concise message (about 30 seconds - these are indeed busy people so unless they know you personally likely they won't take your call). Leave your name, complete street address with zip code, daytime telephone number and your position on the issue. (With this information, you will at least get a reply letter back). Be polite and don't be obnoxious or threatening. A polite viewpoint expressed by a constituent will go much farther than a rude, "if you don't do this i will never vote for you" comment will ever go.

2. Send a follow up letter to document your call. You can find the address at the same place as above. Keep the letter to one page and state the issue and your position on it within the first paragraph.

3. The Congressional Committees that hold jurisdiction over the CPSC are

HOUSE:
House Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection. There are no members of the VA congressional delegation on this subcommittee, but Representative Rick Boucher is a member of the full committee so IF HE IS YOUR REPRESENTATIVE it is especially important for you to voice your concerns. If he is not your representative, don't bother contacting him. Ask someone who lives in his district to contact him on your behalf. Members of Congress will not respond to people who live outside their districts.

SENATE:
Committee on Commerce, Energy and Technology, Subcommittee on Consumer Affairs, Insurance and Auto Safety. Senator Warner is a member of the full committee but not the Subcommittee. Everyone in VA can (and should) write to him.

Writing to other members of these committees or to committee staff will get you no where.

Congress does want to hear from there constituents on issues of concern to them, so don't be shy about contacting them. But again, be businesslike, concise, and polite.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

March 5, 2009, 07:48 AM

How about not using lead in things that are regularly touched? I mean, would a product get away with having asbestos in it? Of course not. Its not that friggin hard, use something other than lead for eerything but the batery terminals. It's not rocket science.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#14)
Spike

March 5, 2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Come on now, I am all for examples but these 2 stretch it a bit.
Selling bikes to kids is a parents choice and it only affects that family.
Smoking around people is proven to cause cancer and I have no choice in your decision. If I want to live healthy and still enjoy going places I shouldn't have to deal with others decisions that make it impossible for me to do so.
Now if they took all cigarettes off the self, now you may have a case!
Yes, it they took them off the 'self', I could see your point. However, it is not illegal so they should stop messing with it. You ever hear the story of how to catch wild pigs? Remind me to post that sometime. It's basically what is going on around us and folks like you are refusing to see it.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#15)
ATTN INVESTORS!

March 5, 2009, 08:31 AM

Todd, have you considered that *maybe* D, just hasn't lived long enough for effects or symptoms to show? He's still a young kid and who knows, especially if you're talking very trace amounts. Over prolonged periods of time though...

Jess, the first time you tried a cigarrette, was it the most delicious and awesome thing you had ever tried? So much that you wanted to do it all day, everyday? I can't eat one food in that manner, not even my most fav. We all started because it was cool. We'll stop because of the same reason. For as much bs the govt forces on us, I can't deny the fact that in the case of public smoking, it is doing us all a favor. Are you upset that you don't want to stop, and want to keep killing yourself and possibly others? Or are you upset because you know how difficult it is to quit?

Last edited by rekoniz; March 5, 2009 at 08:34 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz