DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
0 members and 560 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
If this isn't a kick in the nuts, I don't know what is.
Unread
  (#1)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

Thumbs down If this isn't a kick in the nuts, I don't know what is. - March 17, 2009, 01:16 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/...nce/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.
But the proposal would be "dead on arrival" if it's sent to Congress, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, said.
Murray used that blunt terminology when she told Shinseki that the idea would not be acceptable and would be rejected if formally proposed. Her remarks came during a hearing before the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs about the 2010 budget.
No official proposal to create such a program has been announced publicly, but veterans groups wrote a pre-emptive letter last week to President Obama voicing their opposition to the idea after hearing the plan was under consideration.
The groups also cited an increase in "third-party collections" estimated in the 2010 budget proposal -- something they said could be achieved only if the Veterans Administration started billing for service-related injuries.
Asked about the proposal, Shinseki said it was under "consideration."
"A final decision hasn't been made yet," he said.
Currently, veterans' private insurance is charged only when they receive health care from the VA for medical issues that are not related to service injuries, like getting the flu.
Charging for service-related injuries would violate "a sacred trust," Veterans of Foreign Wars spokesman Joe Davis said. Davis said the move would risk private health care for veterans and their families by potentially maxing out benefits paying for costly war injury treatments.
A second senator, North Carolina Republican Richard Burr, said he agreed that the idea should not go forward.
"I think you will give that up" as a revenue stream if it is included in this April's budget, Burr said.
Murray said she'd already discussed her concerns with the secretary the previous week.
"I believe that veterans with service-connected injuries have already paid by putting their lives on the line," Murray said in her remarks. "I don't think we should nickel and dime them for their care."
Eleven of the most prominent veterans organizations have been lobbying Congress to oppose the idea. In the letter sent last week to the president, the groups warned that the idea "is wholly unacceptable and a total abrogation of our government's moral and legal responsibility to the men and women who have sacrificed so much."
The groups included The American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
At the time, a White House spokesman would neither confirm nor deny the option was being considered.

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#2)
BE ENCOURAGED!

March 17, 2009, 01:25 PM

First let me start by saying on the record. I am NO fan of Obama and I think in the end America is going to get EXACTLY what it voted for. BUT......

I think there are all kinds of things being bounced around out there that everybody knows will never happen. You just have to take each thing you hear one at a time and wait to see if they become even close to a reality before having knee jerk reactions. They are all smoke screens to hide the real things being considered.

Just like AIG. This entire thing is just a giant rouge to cover the real events happening, and sadly when America finally wises up and see's what is really going on, it may be to late.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

March 17, 2009, 01:31 PM

"Shinseki went on to say that anyone who felt slighted by the kinder, gentler Dept of Veteran's Affairs would receive a complimentary black beret that he personally removed from the body of a deceased Ranger."

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Nothing here

March 17, 2009, 01:34 PM

/\ Agree with Guzz. That will never happen in my lifetime. (Never say never; I know) Besides, with the AL, VFW AND Military Order of Purple Heart involved, I think there is a better chance of me growing to 6 feet tall by the end of spring than that proposal going any further.
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

March 17, 2009, 01:43 PM

I agree with Guz, this is way to far out there to even be recognized as a possible idea, its a distraction from actual plans in the works.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

March 17, 2009, 01:45 PM

+3 Agree with Guz

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#7)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

March 17, 2009, 03:14 PM

Yeah but there is so much crap out there, I don't know how the American people are standing for any of it. I think the firearms thread and this post need to be joined together........Where's my damn teabags?

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#8)
Go Team Venture!!!

March 17, 2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER View Post
sadly when America finally wises up and see's what is really going on, it may be to late.
We may be there already. The guy got in to office and we have a democratic controlled congress coming up with stupid idea's like this.

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#9)
I'm to good for your air

March 17, 2009, 03:24 PM

We do need to cut back our National Defense Budget but taking money away from those who serve is not the right way to go about it. I am sure there are thousands of programs in the national defense system that are a huge waste of resources, not to mention the unmentioned.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#10)
Go Team Venture!!!

March 17, 2009, 03:26 PM

Anyone else question the intelligence of people ready to piss off the very guys who are responsible for defending this nation at such a dangerous time in the world state of affirs?

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

March 17, 2009, 03:30 PM

Bush and Obama screw the troops, anyone up for a Veterans only requirment for Presidents?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#12)
Go Team Venture!!!

March 17, 2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
Bush and Obama screw the troops, anyone up for a Veterans only requirment for Presidents?
Bush was a Vet. But I agree military service should be a requirement of the office. Got to be a soldier before you know how to lead a soldier.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

March 17, 2009, 03:38 PM

I never served in the military, but it doesn't mean that I am incapable of making veteran-friendly decisions. I am a visiting scientist over at the Navy Medical Center in Bethesda. I see young men and women in the prime of life hobbling on crutches with legs missing. It's not difficult to speculate how it happened. This nation has a legacy of treating worst those whom it owes most. It's beyond embarrassing. It's sickening.

This is absolutely unthinkable.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

March 17, 2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Got to be a soldier before you know how to lead a soldier.
Why? I do not believe this at all. The office of president is not a military position. Now if you're talking about the Joint Chiefs, then I would say yes.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#15)
Go Team Venture!!!

March 17, 2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Why? I do not believe this at all. The office of president is not a military position. Now if you're talking about the Joint Chiefs, then I would say yes.
The president is the "Commander in Chief" of all the US Military forces. He has final authority of all military action.

The Constitution of the United States gives the title to the President of the United States, who "shall be Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States" (see the 1941 Declarations of War against Japan and Germany for how this call is made). The National Security Act of 1947 made the President, as a consequence of the creation of the United States Air Force, also the Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force of the United States, by extension.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!