DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
5 members and 548 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, shiphteey, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Imus - "Not the Bad Guy"
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Imus - "Not the Bad Guy" - April 12, 2007, 08:27 AM

Being black, I'll probably catch HELL for agreeing with this article however,
this guy is a columnist in Kansas City, MO. This is probably one of the most compelling and self evaluating articles I've read in awhile. He said even more on the radio this morning. I must admit that, I totally agree with him. 100% of the callers who called in when the phone lines were opened up on the a radio agreed with him.

One of the things he said on the radio (that was not mentioned in the article) was how we need new leadership. He spoke of how Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are trying to lead with a 60's mentality but it's 2007 and we have a whole new set of issues. * On a side note: The former president of the NAACP was on the radio last month speaking about why he resigned. The big reason for him resigning was that the board (who he answers to) were not willing to focus in other directions, to confront other issues. He said they were all from the 50's and 60's and were not willing to change. Fast forward a month later and you have Jason Whitlock calling out Jesse and Al and how they aren't willing to change and how we are in need of new leadership. He mentioned that while Imus' comments were ignorant and he's by no means defending him: Al and Jesse shouldn't waste energy and time on him when WE have our own set of problems that give Imus (and white America) the "comfort level" to make those statements. He touched on how we have no self respect within our OWN community. So how can we "demand" that someone else treat us with more respect than we treat ourselves.

I think one of the most thought provoking things he said on the radio this morning was: "Think about what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have accomplished in the last twenty five years. Now think about what Malcom and Martin accomplished in FIVE".

Read his artcile, it's really good.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

"A true champion takes the best from all influences, discards the useless - and forms an arsenal a pure practitioner cannot (without luck) overcome" -- Bruce Lee
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cipher  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

April 12, 2007, 08:46 AM

Great article, thanks for posting this. It's good to see soem different views on this. I'm not very familiar with Imus, just from hearing about him on Howard Stern or some of the other programs. I do think he was some washed up insignificant old guy, I didn't hear his comments or in what context they were said, whether he was making a joke or being serious so its hard for me to comment.

2006 Black ZX-10
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

April 12, 2007, 08:50 AM

Yeah, I thought Mr. Whitlock was "spot on" with this one.

"A true champion takes the best from all influences, discards the useless - and forms an arsenal a pure practitioner cannot (without luck) overcome" -- Bruce Lee
Unread
  (#4)
> 6'3" need not apply!

April 12, 2007, 08:53 AM

I agree. Great article. I had the same thoughts. Being a black woman, I wasn't offended, personally, by what he said. Prior to his comments, I had never heard of the old geezer either. I mean, like the article says, the rappers out there today and the comedians say worse about black people as a WHOLE. THEY are the ones who offend the black population. Now, it can be funny (the comedians) because we can relate to what they say and we can laugh at ourselves, but the rappers are downright degrading.

I wasn't offended by what Imus said because he was talking about a particular group of women. While I do not excuse what he said, nor was it acceptable, he wasn't talking about ALL black women. I must admit, they are some hard looking women. I wouldn't classify them as "ho's" but they are rough. Anyway, an apology should have been enough and you are right, leave the 60's in the 60's and address the problems TODAY.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#5)
When in Rome...

April 12, 2007, 08:57 AM

isn't everyone else asking themselves the same question that I am - why the hell is this thing getting coverage like it's 9-11 or something? Who cares. DJs say dumb things all the time and get their shows cancelled. He said a stupid thing. Jesse and Al are equally moronic and have said much dumber things than Imus did in their past, so they're clearly trying to ride this for a little personal gain. But please, American Media, quit covering this story. Someone blew up parliament in Baghdad today - if I hear another story about Imus I'm giving up.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

www.howtoavoidthebummerlife.com
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

April 12, 2007, 09:35 AM

Cipher - good post - thanks for the link.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
K-K
Shut yo damn snack chute

April 12, 2007, 09:39 AM

Good post. BTW... Ciph....WTH have you been up to?

- If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to K-K  
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

April 12, 2007, 09:45 AM

This just in, Imus not Anna's baby-daddy.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 12, 2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie
This just in, Imus not Anna's baby-daddy.
thats good! but thats another one that did not deserve all the coverage it got. she was a freakin whore, what like 8 guys all saying its their kid? come on

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

April 12, 2007, 09:47 AM

K-K, a lil this and a lil that. Hit me up on IM or email.

Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

April 12, 2007, 10:00 AM

What Imus said was not totally out of character if you are familiar with his show. His attempt at "Urban" Humor was just his way of saying that these girls are very tough. In my opinion Imus does more for minorities with many of his charities and his ranch than Al or Jesse.
I don't think he should have made that comment but as said before the Rap community, black commedians and such have been doing it and much worse setting a precedence.
He really does a lot of good and it will hurt many more by his dismissal more than it will help the NAACP's cause.
If they want to set an example that they are no longer going to tolerate these type of degrading comments they should start with people that have much more influence on how black women think of themselves.
Unfortunately what I have seen on the news are all the groups that are against him. The media seems to pretty 1 sided on this and it seems they are out to set an example!
Unread
  (#12)
Stercus accidit

April 12, 2007, 10:03 AM

You nappy headed bastid.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Harvey_TT600  
Unread
  (#13)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

April 12, 2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Cipher - good post - thanks for the link.
+1

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#14)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

April 12, 2007, 10:21 AM

I really liked the article. Racial prejudice should be reserved for canadians.

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
K-K
Shut yo damn snack chute

April 12, 2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher
K-K, a lil this and a lil that. Hit me up on IM or email.
Due to the wonderful firewalls here in the Federal Government, I am pretty sure I can't even get to Sesame Street's website. In other words..... IM GONE. Lord only knows what I did with your email addy. I PM'd you on this site. Check yo PM's.....

Ok back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.

Sorry for the

- If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to K-K