DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 587
5 members and 582 guests
2blueyam, beatle, cicirich, tonetone, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
inconvenient truth
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

inconvenient truth - March 23, 2007, 09:19 AM

Anyone seen this yet?

Since it won an academy award, i was flipping channels last night and decided to watch.

Curious of what others think about the "facts" that were presented.

The best analogy was the frog jumping into boiling water. He would jump out right away b/c it was too hot, but if he jumps in water at room temp then the heat is turned on he wont jump out b/c he wont notice in time.

Very good comparision to how the world is reacting.

website

www.climatecrisis.net

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Like a clown car on fire

March 23, 2007, 10:05 AM

well, either their facts are unverified, or at least 1 frog was harmed in the making of the movie...

haven't seen it, nothing intelligent to add...

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

March 23, 2007, 10:07 AM

i highly recommend folks watch it to at the very least start thinking about it.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
I just peed a little

March 23, 2007, 10:09 AM

Interesting section in an article about Al Gore from ABC News....

Armed with Gore's utility bills for the last two years, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research charged Monday that the gas and electric bills for the former vice president's 20-room home and pool house devoured nearly 221,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kilowatt-hours. "If this were any other person with $30,000-a-year in utility bills, I wouldn't care," says the Center's 27-year-old president, Drew Johnson. "But he tells other people how to live and he's not following his own rules."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

March 23, 2007, 10:11 AM

^^ nice

movie still makes some good points though.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#6)
I just peed a little

March 23, 2007, 10:13 AM

He should be living in a solar powered hut
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

March 23, 2007, 10:15 AM

yes, he definately should be spending so $$ to lead by example.

its funny how the retards dont really have an argument, so they pull that shit as a rebuttal.. *Shrug

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Dressed for Success

March 23, 2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedMonkey
Interesting section in an article about Al Gore from ABC News....

Armed with Gore's utility bills for the last two years, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research charged Monday that the gas and electric bills for the former vice president's 20-room home and pool house devoured nearly 221,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kilowatt-hours. "If this were any other person with $30,000-a-year in utility bills, I wouldn't care," says the Center's 27-year-old president, Drew Johnson. "But he tells other people how to live and he's not following his own rules."
Yep, I heard about that. It also said that he pays people money to plant trees that offset the damage he's doing to the environment himself. I think it's a crock-o-sh1t though personally.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Playing with toys

March 23, 2007, 10:22 AM

I noticed this movie is Free to rent at Hollywood Video when I was in there last time with one of the "special" cards.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

March 23, 2007, 10:29 AM

I thought it was probably accurate but very well presented. It has been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember all the the graphs in the movie had no numbers to describe ranges. I understand leaving the numbers out makes you presention look prettier but dumbs it down at the same time. I also understand that global warming is just the new Y2K/Bird Flu/SARS/Terrorism and that in the end everything will be ok. I just wish everyone would stop trying to scare the general public.

Sorry for being salty.
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

March 23, 2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja636
Yep, I heard about that. It also said that he pays people money to plant trees that offset the damage he's doing to the environment himself. I think it's a crock-o-sh1t though personally.
The facts about his homes energy consumption were verified. His house eats it like it is going out of style. Just highlights the hypocrisy of the whole arguement.
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

March 23, 2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
i highly recommend folks watch it to at the very least start thinking about it.
True...but exogenous warming potential supplied by human beings amounts to less than 1/10th of 1% of the total warming of the earth. Nature produces roughtly 30 times the amount that man does.

Do I think we should conserve and look at alternative fuels, yes. Has the Earth gotten warmer, yes. Did we start it or acclerate, probably not. It started long before and will continue regardless of our efforts to combat it.
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

March 23, 2007, 10:48 AM

have you seen the movie? The movie negates most of what you just said.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#14)
Agitator

March 23, 2007, 10:54 AM

My opinion is that while the human factor is small, a small disturbance can greatly effect an equillibrium. Do I think that we caused global warming? I don't know, I'm not a climatologist, there is much current debate, and I don't have enough information to form a conclusion...however!

do we need to do something about fossil fuels (like going more nuclear)? yes...cause well, its just smart not to mention the political, international, economical and environmental plusses

that way, if fossil fuel emissions were the cause of the equillibrium disturbance...then it would be fixed, if not, darn, more energy independence and 1000's of years of available resources

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#15)
Naked...it's the only way

March 23, 2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
The facts about his homes energy consumption were verified. His house eats it like it is going out of style. Just highlights the hypocrisy of the whole arguement.
Verified, maybe, but the reporting is skewed big time. He pays for "green energy" which is much more expensive and he is in the process of installing solar power.