DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
3 members and 553 guests
beatle, davidcycle, shiphteey
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Increase in ParkMobile Meter Parking Fees
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Increase in ParkMobile Meter Parking Fees - October 25, 2012, 02:54 PM

"DC Transaction Fee changes and introduction of the Parkmobile Wallet"

Dear Valued Member,

Beginning October 29th, transaction fees in DC will increase from $0.32 to $0.45 due to increased costs triggered by recent federal legislative reform enacted by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act’s Durbin Amendment.

To help offset this increase Parkmobile has developed the Parkmobile Wallet which will provide a more cost-effective parking experience in DC – Wallet transactions will carry a $.30 transaction fee. You can update your payment method to the Parkmobile Wallet via your Personal Pages at Parkmobile | Mobile Payment Parking Solution or from your mobile app (if using iPhone or Android). If you have forgotten your username/password you can retrieve it using your registered mobile phone number and the last four digits of the credit card on file. The Parkmobile Wallet is FDIC insured.

For more information please visit our website at Parkmobile | Mobile Payment Parking Solution and click on the Parkmobile Wallet link. If you have further questions click on the orange ‘Help’ tab or email helpdesk@parkmobileglobal.com.

Sincerely,

Tina Dyer
Marketing & Sales Support Manager
Parkmobile USA, Inc.

Just received this today. What a bullshit way to find an excuse to squeeze more money out of us while also using it as an opportunity to make a political jab. I have never heard of a single legislation that would increase costs to businesses to an extent where they have to increase the pass-through costs to the consumer at a rate of 40% !!! 10, 15, 20, 15? Maybe plausible. But 40%? I call BS! Add to that the fact that their business has absolutely zero competition due to the county/city selecting a single company to provide this service, so we all know that the local gov't will also be making a pretty penny from this change and so will the politician that allowed it.

This service is nearly invaluable since the majority of population has finally succumbed to the pressures of credit/debit cards and most don't carry any cash let alone coins.

Anyway, just figured I'd share with you all and bundle in a rant with the PSA. Carry on.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

October 25, 2012, 03:00 PM

So don't use it?

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

October 25, 2012, 03:03 PM

Meh, I'll use it anyways.

I rarely go into DC either way. Just informing people that do or might in the future. The final rant was added to make the post .net worthy.
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

October 25, 2012, 03:06 PM

... Thanks Rob, that sounds like a great solution.

Guess I'm buying some winter gear. Gas, contract cuts to employee perks like parking stipends, no raises, and little standard of living killers like this are really starting to add up to several thousand dollars a year in pay loss.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
Track Day addict

October 25, 2012, 03:26 PM

The increased federal regulations from Dodd-Frank are actually forcing additional costs on all sorts of financial products. In some cases these are small, in other cases they can be quite significant. Some companies will probably go out of business or sell off to a larger company in at a substantial discount because of these increased regulations. Other companies will be eliminating products because of the increased regulatory burden that those products carry. I am not saying all of these regulations are bad or unneeded, but they do add to the costs and businesses with small margins will be forced to pass those along.

If I read this correctly they have provided a way for you to actually cut the fee cost by about 6% if you use their newer service. Also the increase of 40% is calculated just against the fee. The total cost of parking will be going up by a much lower percentage, but that will vary depending on how long you are parked and the rate of parking at that location. Using the system you only pay for the time you need. I don't know how many times I came back to my old fashioned coin meter and it still had time left on it. I am betting that if you use the "wallet" it will cost you less than the old way in the long run.

With that being said, I would not be surprised if the government and the business are both getting a little bit bigger slice of the pie. The government precisely because they are no longer getting those "over payments" from people plugging the meters with coins and leaving time on them.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

October 25, 2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
So don't use it?
Parking in DC on the street is now $2/hr.

LOL @ using Dodd Frank Act as a smoke screen to necessitate the fee increase. The 9000 some odd pages of Dodd-Frank covers financial services, consumer protection, and regulatory reform and oversight not simple net based transactions.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

October 25, 2012, 03:49 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. It's 2 cents cheaper; you just have to preload now. Sounds like a good deal to me. I use Parkmobile all the time because it's so much more convenient than paying with coins and having to refeed the meter. That is easily worth 30 cents per transaction.
Unread
  (#8)
Track Day addict

October 25, 2012, 04:13 PM

If you think Dodd-Frank doesn't cover simple net based transactions, you haven't had your banking attorney read it or the thousands of pages of regulatory implementation documents that were driven by it very well yet. The ironic thing is that consultant companies and companies that provide back end financial services will make a fortune helping smaller businesses and even some larger ones become compliant. This is all made possible by Dodd-Frank. So while on one hand Dodd-Frank takies away from the economy, on the other hand it gives. By the way, this is the case with much legislation these days. It is all about which companies win and which companies lose and very little about what is best for the people of our country or our country.

But I digress - you can always pay with quarters if you think the fee is too high, at least until they remove the meters and force you to pay through the service. That will be coming, as it already has come to a few cities.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

October 25, 2012, 06:58 PM

DC has already removed most of its coin operated meters.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
no one's blowing up moons

October 25, 2012, 08:41 PM

If you use the motorcycle spaces you know that the meters are much cheaper that car space meters. Many are only .50 an hour with a 12 hour limit instead of a 2 hour limit, 12 hours being the full extent of the paid time period. IF you pay with cash. If you pay by credit the system doesn't recognize it as a bike space and charges as if you've parked a car.

6 bucks to park all day? Instead of 24 bucks? I'll carry the quarters!

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#11)
EFI - 07/C2

October 26, 2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
I have never heard of a single legislation that would increase costs to businesses to an extent where they have to increase the pass-through costs to the consumer at a rate of 40% !!! 10, 15, 20, 15? Maybe plausible. But 40%? I call BS!
GCA 1934, $200 transfer tax on a $5 shotgun. Trust me, the buyer paid it, not the seller, even though legally the seller is on the hook for it.

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

October 26, 2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
... Thanks Rob, that sounds like a great solution.

Guess I'm buying some winter gear. Gas, contract cuts to employee perks like parking stipends, no raises, and little standard of living killers like this are really starting to add up to several thousand dollars a year in pay loss.
You can still pay via coins if I'm not mistaken and avoid surcharges like this?

Or use the little credit card machines?

I assume the rant was for the app of the 3rd party company which is not required to use?

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#13)
Site Owner

October 26, 2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Parking in DC on the street is now $2/hr.

LOL @ using Dodd Frank Act as a smoke screen to necessitate the fee increase. The 9000 some odd pages of Dodd-Frank covers financial services, consumer protection, and regulatory reform and oversight not simple net based transactions.
So its on par with other major cities now?

I remember 15 years ago in San Fran it was *impossible* to find any street parking. If you were lucky and found it, it was expensive and limited to be very few hours at a time.

You had to use garages which were like 30-40$ a day.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

October 26, 2012, 08:24 AM

I don't know what it's going to take--widespread panic, riots, and mass bedlam maybe--but we seriously need to examine where our civic, state, and federal dollars are going. This is getting freaking ridiculous already. We pay and pay and pay, and where the hell is going? To a crumbling national infrastructure? To a crooked congress? Where?

There are so many people on the take at so many levels, I'm pretty sure at this point it would take a violent revolution to streamline our governing bodies again. In the meantime, we'll go the way of Rome--a slow but accelerating decay brought on by ever-increasing appetites for entertainment and crushing tax burdens.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#15)
Knee Draggin!

October 26, 2012, 08:47 AM

lol, where do you think the money is going? Where did the tax base and money for Detroit go? When a metro bus driver makes 250k / year that should tell you something