DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
4 members and 576 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Speed3, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Installing a 2nd Monitor at work.. with NO DOWNLOADS?
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Installing a 2nd Monitor at work.. with NO DOWNLOADS? - April 21, 2009, 04:31 PM

So my work has recently taken away all of our laptops and given us desktops. This means that I am no longer to have an extended desktop onto two screens and it is driving me crazy.

My work has told me that basically they aren't going to authorize two monitors and new video cards for all users.

I am trying to find out if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can make this happen on my own?

I am aware of USB external video cards but they would require installing drivers.

IS ANYONE AWARE OF A NO-DOWNLOAD 2nd MONITOR OPTION?

Some Notes...

I work for the Federal Goverment so my computer is locked down ( I can't download flash updates or anything that would normally require administrative privileges)

My current desktop only has one monitor slot.

I have access to extra monitors (from empty cubicles) or would be willing to buy my own 2nd monitor.

I would be willing to buy any needed add ons, but not to add them to the desktop or have to open the computer up

If the device you put on your computer is not issued by the government then it is not authorized.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rnc_forever  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

April 21, 2009, 04:39 PM

unless you have a video card that supports dual display, or more than one video card installed, you can't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

April 21, 2009, 04:39 PM

what do you mean downloads? Just plug the monitor in and set your system for dual monitors in the control panel.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

April 21, 2009, 04:40 PM

any newer video card should have dual monitor capability. you just have to have the correct cable to go from the monitor to your desktop.
Unread
  (#5)
Now with a TBSP of love

April 21, 2009, 04:40 PM

if you don't have a DVI port or 2 VGAs, it's not gonna happen.

PS...quit giving your IT dept shit to clean up.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

April 21, 2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
unless you have a video card that supports dual display, or more than one video card installed, you can't do it.
you can use one video card as long as you have the right cable. I had the same setup on my desktop before i got two video cards.
Unread
  (#7)
Say Jur Oh

April 21, 2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Rider View Post
you can use one video card as long as you have the right cable. I had the same setup on my desktop before i got two video cards.
that is a special card.

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

April 21, 2009, 04:45 PM

Desktops, ewww. lol.
Unread
  (#9)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 21, 2009, 04:52 PM

If you had two desktops, each with a monitor, you could do it.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#10)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
April 21, 2009, 04:57 PM

Splitter.....Dell used to sell them or send them out with thier machines. I ran a single card with only 1 video port at work. Plug that sucker in and you are good to go.

Check CompuUSA (in MD) or Micro Center (in VA) and you should be fine.

Also, do not waste your money buying a second monitor for work unless you are going to get a flat panel.....plenty of CRT monitors being given away for free on Craigslist. Hell, a few weeks back I donated an old 19 inch monitor to a co-workers church.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 21, 2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdgrphcs View Post
Splitter.....Dell used to sell them or send them out with thier machines. I ran a single card with only 1 video port at work. Plug that sucker in and you are good to go.

Check CompuUSA (in MD) or Micro Center (in VA) and you should be fine.

Also, do not waste your money buying a second monitor for work unless you are going to get a flat panel.....plenty of CRT monitors being given away for free on Craigslist. Hell, a few weeks back I donated an old 19 inch monitor to a co-workers church.

Leslie
only works if the card supports it. if it doesn't you'll get two identical screens.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

April 21, 2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
only works if the card supports it. if it doesn't you'll get two identical screens.

yep yep..

so you said you'd spend the loot for a 2nd monitor..?

why dont you spend money for a new video card?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 22, 2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
yep yep..

so you said you'd spend the loot for a 2nd monitor..?

why dont you spend money for a new video card?
he can't install any drivers...although it may work if windows autodetects.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

April 22, 2009, 09:42 AM

no, but the IT staff can.

I work for the DOD. I in fact do desktop/laptop baselines as well as IA. Therefore, if you buy a new card that can allow you to do dual monitors, and the IT staff wont install the drivers for you, that is straight up dick. They are allowed to do so. If they wave a hand say they cant, it is BS.

Just FYI.

*edit*

Hey may even get lucky. Once he puts in the new card, the windows default drivers may be just fine on bootup.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

April 22, 2009, 10:04 AM

A video splitter just creates two video signals from one... identical...

The video card must support dual video output, and usually you have a manufacturer program that allows "extended screen, or extended desktop". If you have two outputs on the back of the card you probably have dual screen capability. Look for a white (DVI) and blue (VGA) output on the back. Then locate the video card software and look for extended desktop.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B