DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
1 members and 570 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Asleep at the wheel!

April 22, 2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
no, but the IT staff can.

I work for the DOD. I in fact do desktop/laptop baselines as well as IA. Therefore, if you buy a new card that can allow you to do dual monitors, and the IT staff wont install the drivers for you, that is straight up dick. They are allowed to do so. If they wave a hand say they cant, it is BS.

Just FYI.

*edit*

Hey may even get lucky. Once he puts in the new card, the windows default drivers may be just fine on bootup.
It is "dick" because they want to keep all the systems standard?

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#17)
The last urrbendah

April 22, 2009, 10:11 AM

XP and Vista have built in drivers for extending the desktop if you have both VGA and DVI outputs. Look on the back for both a white and blue port, then dig up cables.

If you've got them both, plug in the additional monitor then right click over the background and select Properties. Go to the settings tab and select the second monitor then click the box for extend my windows desktop onto this monitor.

Done.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)
TPG og

April 22, 2009, 10:17 AM

I work for Fed. to, I find inviting the IT guys out for a beer helps get you the hookup (they love Rockville Hooters!). You shouldn't need to download anything on a newer computer, I bought a VGA cable from Best Buy, plugged it in, setup the monitors from control panel and was good to go. The VGA video quality isn't that great, or maybe I just got a crappy cable so search around for a good one. I think the gold plated tipped ones are the best.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#19)
MSF Student

April 22, 2009, 11:21 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response.

My computer is Windows Vista Business OEMAct HP. HP Compag dc7800p. (If that makes sense?)

So we have established that Im not trying to go through IT to make this happen. And that I am willing to buy whatever I need (a flat screen not a CRT) to make it happen but I can't buy a video card to install, or a USB video card to plug in because they need drivers.

I understand you guys are saying that if i get a video card (which would have to be external b/c I can't open up the computer) I may be able to plug it in and windows will do the updates automatically?

Other solution: I am looking at the back of my computer now... There is one internet cable connection (ethernet? my IT skills are slim), 6 USB's, a long pink cable slot which i think is a printer hook up, my monitor is plugged into the next spot, an open spot below that that is labeled IOIOI A which is small and green, and then the mouse and keyboard connections. Is the one below the current monitor hook up the VGA or DVI slot?

If it is, then you guys are saying I can buy a special cable/adapter for this, plus a separate monitor into it, and then use desktop-settings-etc to set up the two monitor view?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rnc_forever  
Unread
  (#20)
MSF Student

April 22, 2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
XP and Vista have built in drivers for extending the desktop if you have both VGA and DVI outputs. Look on the back for both a white and blue port, then dig up cables.

If you've got them both, plug in the additional monitor then right click over the background and select Properties. Go to the settings tab and select the second monitor then click the box for extend my windows desktop onto this monitor.

Done.

This seems like the most promising solution thus far. If i have the additional output (directly below the monitor?) can i plus another monitor straight into it?
Unread
  (#21)
TPG

April 22, 2009, 11:29 AM

sounds like your hosed... sorry

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#22)
Site Owner

April 22, 2009, 11:46 AM

Or get a usb video card where windows already has the drivers built in...?

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#23)
MSF Student

April 22, 2009, 11:50 AM

That's what I was leaning towards Clemson until people suggested that my computer might already have the capability. I am awaiting their responses to see if they think i have both the VGA and DVI and how I do that...
Unread
  (#24)
TPG og

April 22, 2009, 12:00 PM

You defintley have VGA, pretty much every computer I've seen in recent (past 5) years has a VGA outlet. Go to best buy, go to the cables area, should be right next to the laptop and printer area, find one. I spent about $20.00 on mine. Plug it into the VGA outlet on your comp and plug the other end into the other monitor. For $20, its worth a shot. I have no advice about DVI though.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#25)
SMB
sans motor bike

April 22, 2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Or get a usb video card where windows already has the drivers built in...?
might fail if he doesn't have rights....

oh and the 7800's we use have dual dvi, but they are ordered like that....

go to device manager (if you can) display adapters, what video?

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce

Last edited by SMB; April 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM..
Unread
  (#26)
The last urrbendah

April 22, 2009, 12:06 PM

Do you have two ports on the back that look like this?

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#27)
Site ADMIN

April 22, 2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelHead View Post
It is "dick" because they want to keep all the systems standard?

Yes.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#28)
MSF Student

April 22, 2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
You defintley have VGA, pretty much every computer I've seen in recent (past 5) years has a VGA outlet. Go to best buy, go to the cables area, should be right next to the laptop and printer area, find one. I spent about $20.00 on mine. Plug it into the VGA outlet on your comp and plug the other end into the other monitor. For $20, its worth a shot. I have no advice about DVI though.

What is the difference between VGA and DVI? I have one hook up that the current monitor is plugged into, and below it there is another one.
Unread
  (#29)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

April 22, 2009, 12:13 PM

Dual monitors FTW. It makes development so much easier.
Unread
  (#30)
Site ADMIN

April 22, 2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc_forever View Post

I understand you guys are saying that if i get a video card (which would have to be external b/c I can't open up the computer) I may be able to plug it in and windows will do the updates automatically?

Yes

Quote:

If it is, then you guys are saying I can buy a special cable/adapter for this, plus a separate monitor into it, and then use desktop-settings-etc to set up the two monitor view?
possible, but not likely.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud