DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 591
0 members and 591 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Interested in being a RiderCoach?
Unread
  (#1)
Instructor

Interested in being a RiderCoach? - October 8, 2015, 11:46 AM

It's recruiting time. We may have an opportunity to hold an RCP in Northern Virginia next year instead of forcing candidates to go to Richmond. The challenge is proving there are enough candidates to fill the seats. This is where we need your help.

Are you interested in being a coach? Do you know anyone interested in being a coach? Would one of your friends, riding buddies or former students make a bang up instructor? We want to meet them! Send anyone interested in the program my way (can PM email address if needed).

What are the qualifications?
  • Ride regularly with a few years of experience
  • Enthusiasm for teaching/learning
  • Have a current valid driver's license, endorsed for motorcycle operation, that is neither suspended, revoked, cancelled, nor under probation; with less than six demerit points in a 12 month period and no convictions for any of the offenses stated in subsection E of 18.2-270 Virginia code. A copy of your driving record will be requested when you enroll.
  • You will be asked to attend a 15-20 hour classroom and range session prior to commencing the program and prior to this you may be requested to shadow 15 hours or more with one or more assigned RiderCoaches/Instructors to better understand the mechanics of the program.

What does it cost?
  • In-State Tuition is $250 - covers class fees and books.
  • Out of State residents - tuition is $1500

What does the course cover and what are the completion requirements?
  • Attendance: The course is approximately 70+ hours long. Course schedules may vary; you should plan on 10 days of intense training. Your first two days of class will be attending a Basic Rider Course as a student. To continue on to the next phase as an Instructor Candidate, you MUST pass the Basic Rider Course Knowledge & Skills tests with scores set to a higher standard than those of the general public attending the same Basic Rider Course to obtain their license. Failure to obtain a passing score will not allow you to continue on the next phase as an Instructor Candidate. If you desire to reapply, you will be requested to begin the application process again from its entirety. You MUST attend and successfully complete every class and all sessions in their entirety within the original session you registered.
  • You will use our Program motorcycles; NO private motorcycles will be allowed.
  • Peer teaching: During the 9-10 day course, you'll learn how to teach the curriculum. You'll practice teaching in the classroom and the driving range with your peers. You'll learn how to manage the range exercises and how to evaluate and coach students as they develop their riding skills.
  • Knowledge tests: During the training portion of the course, you'll be given two separate knowledge tests - one test is the same test used in the Licensing Program; however, the standards are higher for RiderCoach/Instructor candidates. The second test will cover information covered in your instructor class and your instructor materials. You must pass each test to continue in the program.
  • Qualitative Assessment: There are many competencies required to be an effective RiderCoach/Instructor. Besides the usual expectations of adhering to the Rules of Professional Conduct, a critical core competency required is to be able to appropriately apply judgment in making decisions that facilitate learning for the RC Candidate; in other words, making good field judgments based on the principles of safety and the curriculum. Therefore, QA Staff, Chief Instructors (Trainers) and other personnel conducting the curriculum have the responsibility to assess your capabilities based on their judgment and experience. It is your responsibility to demonstrate to them that you understand the program principles in a way that leads you to make effective decisions relative to the Program.
  • Student teaching: The course culminates when you teach a complete Class to a group of new riders (Student Teaching). The Trainers will evaluate your performance. Successfully completing student teaching is your final requirement to qualify for VRTP RiderCoach certification.
  • As a RiderCoach/Instructor candidate, you'll use the RiderCoach/Instructor Guide for the curriculum. You'll also receive many course materials, reports, and instructional handouts to start your own reference library.

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Fast Lane Racing

October 8, 2015, 01:38 PM

Are there any money making opportunities being a rider coach?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Instructor

October 8, 2015, 01:39 PM

Coaching shifts pay between $400-550 depending on where you teach. If you're in it for the money though you're not going to like it.

Unread
  (#4)
Slowest Going Straight

October 9, 2015, 06:52 AM

Very nice. I recently turned in all my paperwork to CSM (College of Southern MD is sponsoring me) to be a rider coach out here in southern MD. If I wasn't so far from VA (and tuition wasn't so high out of state) I'd sign up.

I encourage others to sign up and start teaching others how to ride safely.
Unread
  (#5)
Instructor

October 9, 2015, 06:58 AM

We have a few Md Coaches who take hte Va familiarization course. Once your trained Va will take up a weekend of your time to let you teach here. The trade off is you need to teach 4 classes a year.

Unread
  (#6)
Slowest Going Straight

October 9, 2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storysunfolding View Post
We have a few Md Coaches who take hte Va familiarization course. Once your trained Va will take up a weekend of your time to let you teach here. The trade off is you need to teach 4 classes a year.
Good to know! I'll keep that in mind in the future. Until then, I need to become a rider coach for MD though.