DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
4 members and 543 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
IPAD 2 what are your thoughts?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

IPAD 2 what are your thoughts? - March 2, 2011, 02:25 PM

BTW I think Steve isnt looking too good

Apple's Jobs unveils the iPad 2 - CNN.com

San Francisco (CNN) -- With a surprise appearance by CEO Steve Jobs, Apple on Wednesday debuted its iPad 2, updating the gadget that's become nearly synonymous with tablet computing.
"So what's new?" said Jobs, who appeared at the event to a standing ovation. "It's an all-new design."
He said the new tablet will be "dramatically faster" than its predecessor.
Apple got a huge head start in the touch screen tablet race with its iPad, but in recent months its rivals have begun catching up.
Now Apple is hoping to widen its lead again.
• The new version of the device, which some are calling the iPad 2, will be thinner and lighter than its predecessor, down to 1.3 pounds from 1.5.
• It will have front and rear-facing cameras designed for video chatting. Apple is adding its Facetime chat app to the iPad to take advantage of the cameras.
• Unlike Apple's popular iPhone 4, it will be available in white as well as black.
• It will have the same battery life as the current iPad, 10 hours.
It will have an HDMI port, allowing the iPad to be connected to TV screens.
"Teachers want to hook iPads up to their flatscreens in the classrooms," Jobs said. "And you can even charge the iPad while you're using it."
• Like the iPhone, the iPad 2 will include a gyroscope, a feature that will enhance gaming options.
• A new operating system, iOS 4.3, will roll out the same day as the iPad 2. Jobs said the system will let iPhone 4 users create Wi-Fi hotspots.
Jobs, the iconic company leader, had been facing renewed speculation about his health.
"We've been working on this project for a while and I didn't want to miss this," he said. Several CNN staffers at the event described Jobs as looking thin, as usual, but energetic and happy.
The iPad 2 will ship on March 11 in the United States and March 25 in several other countries.
In an announcement that could rock the "tablet wars," Jobs said the new iPad will have the same price structure as the current one -- ranging from $499 to $829.
Jobs also spent a good deal of time talking about a new cover available for the device.
The Smart Cover is a thin sheet that attaches to the iPad with magnets. When not being used, it can fold back and act as a stand for the tablet.
It's available for $39 in polyurethane -- "which is used to make spacesuits," Jobs said -- and $69 in leather.
The launch of a next-generation iPad comes as a new wave of competing gadgets threatens Apple's dominance in the tablet market. Motorola Mobility's Xoom went on sale last month and was greeted with rave reviews for its fast, feature-rich hardware and attractive Android software from Google.
Samsung unveiled its Galaxy Tab late last year, and BlackBerry is expected to launch a tablet, the Playbook, this spring. One consulting firm counts a whopping 102 tablets that are either on sale or in progress from 64 different manufacturers.
The first iPad was introduced in January 2010 and debuted in April, with Wi-Fi models that cost as little as $499. (The 3G-enabled Xoom costs $600 and requires a two-year contract with Verizon Wireless.)
Apple's tablet surprised some analysts by becoming a runaway hit. The company sold 14.8 million iPads worldwide in the first nine months the device was available. Analysts forecast Apple will sell about 30 million tablets this year.
"People laughed at us for using the word magical," Jobs said Wednesday. "But you know what? It's turned out to be magical."

Last edited by Budah79; March 2, 2011 at 02:51 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!

March 2, 2011, 02:35 PM

FAIL
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site Owner

March 2, 2011, 02:37 PM

Not AIDS, cancer. But meh.

iPad 2 is nice - if you don't have an iPad. There isn't much excitement for those who have the old iPad since all it really adds is a faster processor and cameras. If it had gone to a higher resolution screen, that would be a different thing..

But other than my usual "have to have the latest and greatest", I don't see any other reasons to buy this. Same with the upcoming iPhone 4s I'm sure. I doubt there will be anything game-changing with it like there was from iPhone 3GS->4.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#4)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 2, 2011, 02:42 PM

seems a little quick to release this, I guess its like when the iPod first came out and the lightning quick new-to-obsolete cycle that happened

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#5)
in Yamaland

March 2, 2011, 02:53 PM

I'm in for one.

Grabbed an iPad a few weeks ago and after realizing the WiFi model didn't have A-GPS, I sent it back.

This will be my new in car entertainment set up. GPS, Satelite Radio, Pandora, iTunes, etc. I travel a good bit for work so it's well worth the money. It's cheaper than a good aftermarket "all in one" car entertainment system and I can take this in and out of the car.

I'm more of an Android guy than Apple by far, but the iPad is tough to beat when it comes to tablets.

I agree with Clemson though... if I had bought an iPad 3g originally... I would have kept it over buying an ipad2.
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

March 2, 2011, 03:01 PM

The increased processor speed looks nice. No word on any RAM increase, but I would guess it will have a 4x RAM increase to match the other models on the market.

The iPad 3 comes out in Q3/Q4... meh.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

March 2, 2011, 03:15 PM

Nope.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

March 2, 2011, 03:30 PM

same screen... no major enhancements, though the cameras will be nice.

If I can sell my old one for $120 loss over 11 months I'll pick up a new one. I use my iPad constantly, and it's largely replaced the laptop, especially for watching Netflix/Hulu at the kitchen table or surfin the webs while the GF watches Glee/American Idol.

Anyone who buys it today will get the BT App keyboard for FREE! ($69 value)
MINT iPad 32GB WiFi model - $500

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 2, 2011, 05:32 PM

The biggest gripe I had was no Micro SD.
I didnt want a $500 movie player. I couldnt find a good FB app that allowed Instant messaging....I live by IM.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#10)
Racing my bikes

March 2, 2011, 05:50 PM

I don't got any apple products because there is an upgrade,redesign every 3 months!!!

Winner of over 50 CCS Regional Championships,
Winner of 7 CCS National Championships
CCS Overall top 10 plate holder since 2006
2005 Ducati 1000SS
2000 Aprilia RSV 1000
1999 Suzuki SV 650
1995 Yamaha Verago 750
1992 Yamaha PW50
1992 Yamaha FZR 400RR 3TJ
1988 Yamaha FZR 400
1987 Kawasaki EX500
Unread
  (#11)
Sick!!!

March 2, 2011, 06:53 PM

I heard it will suck you off.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a llama again!

March 2, 2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogert View Post
I heard it will suck you off.
Yeah turns out that's a rummer Apple once again did not add a port for that. Just like USB Apple want's to control everything you do on it.
Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 2, 2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Yeah turns out that's a rummer Apple once again did not add a port for that. Just like USB Apple want's to control everything you do on it.

lol
Yeah and that is my gripe with the products... They sell an adapter Blah !!!

But for the life of me I cannont understand the logic in not having a SD port?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#14)
Owner of the Site Owner

March 2, 2011, 08:41 PM

i dont have one, i am excited to own a ipad 2.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#15)
Serial Killer

March 2, 2011, 08:44 PM

Same as my thoughts on the first one: meh, I'll pass. We have one at work, and a tablet is just not my thing

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy