DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 348
1 members and 347 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
IPAD3 Owners...are you happy?
Unread
  (#1)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

IPAD3 Owners...are you happy? - March 22, 2012, 01:31 PM

For those that bought the IPAD3 (The new ipad) are you happy with your purchase? Do you think it's worth the money? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy the ipad2 from microcenter or fork up the extra $$$ for the ipad3.

I've also heard that quite a few people are having problems with the device getting very warm (sometimes freezing up). Has this happened to any of you?

My other option is to go android and get the Asus Transformer Prime.

I'm only going to be using this tablet to watch movies, check work and personal email and sometimes use vpn or citrix.

Last edited by DC-MOTO; March 22, 2012 at 02:05 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

March 22, 2012, 01:35 PM

Nope, never frozen up. Played draws with friends for like 2 hours straight. It gets a bit warmer, but not anything close to a laptop.

Screen is awesome. Worth the 100$ premium definitely. Can't wait for games/textures to be optimized for the screen.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 22, 2012, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I heard something on the radio the other day...they get to something like 140 degrees internally.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

March 22, 2012, 02:33 PM

Last edited by Qcslvr; June 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

March 22, 2012, 02:49 PM

I saw one in the flesh yesterday. The screen was amazing, however, is it worth the $150 premium? To me, that answer is no.

Greater resolution means nothing if there is no content created to take advantage of the increase - and by the time content providers and developers upscale their old and new releases en masse, iPad 4 will be released.

Also, greater resolution does not mean greater detail. Apple didn't upgrade their GPU; a number of cross platform action games are missing details and features that appear in the Android version.

Ipad 3 is really "Ipad 2S" in my opinion. Hold aside the screen and all you have is a subtle enhancement of Ipad 2 but worse, once you wipe away the Apple Marketing Pixie dust and ween yourself off the Apple juice in some ways the Ipad 3 is a little worse than Ipad 2.

- Thicker (marginally)
- Heavier
- No increase in battery life or run time. (10 hours still)
- Power efficiency went down
- Runs with less thermal efficiency and hotter (heat is the enemy of electronics. more heat + no venting = no bueno)
- It takes a ridiculously amount of time to bring to full charge. 17 hours to bring it to 100% when left on. 8-10 hours when off. You will only net 2% of charge per hour if charging off a USB port as many people do when on the road or vacation.

My personal opinion, purchase Ipad 2 at discount and wait for Ipad 4 to make the leap. Ipad 4 will include all the advancements from Iphone 5 and use Corning's Gorilla Glass 2 which will be both thinner (better transparency / better optical properties), stronger, more impact and scratch resistant than the current Gorilla Glass.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

March 22, 2012, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Qcslvr; June 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 22, 2012, 03:03 PM

lol engineering is a compromise

- Thicker (marginally) - battery is larger to support screen & quad-core
- Heavier - larger battery
- No increase in battery life or run time. (10 hours still) - more battery & people will complain about the above. thicker/heavier
- Power efficiency went down - better screen/quad-core
- Runs with less thermal efficiency and hotter (heat is the enemy of electronics. more heat + no venting = no bueno) - lol. people want better screen & processor. compromise.
- It takes a ridiculously amount of time to bring to full charge. 17 hours to bring it to 100% when left on. 8-10 hours when off. You will only net 2% of charge per hour if charging off a USB port as many people do when on the road or vacation. - much larger battery

#1 Machine: Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: BMW G310R / Michelin package - sooooo light and stable it's funny
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

March 22, 2012, 03:09 PM

Last edited by Qcslvr; June 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM..
Unread
  (#9)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

March 22, 2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcslvr View Post
Apple new iPad vs. ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime: Tablet comparison - tablets, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime, apple new iPad, apple ipad, Android tablets - PC World Australia

*Seems a little bias but the only thing Apple won out on was the network and display. However it should be said that the Prime's display does beat out the 2's display.

The Asus Eee Pad Prime T201 is supposed to have up to 18 hours of battery life (With the docking station). Asus is $599 + $175 docking station
Have heard nothing but good reviews about the new 4.0 ICS OS is supposed to be pretty quick and much more stable.

decisions...decisions...decisions

$359 for an Ipad2 though is hard to beat from Microcenter.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

March 22, 2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnBlk600r View Post
lol engineering is a compromise

- Thicker (marginally) - battery is larger to support screen & quad-core
- Heavier - larger battery
- No increase in battery life or run time. (10 hours still) - more battery & people will complain about the above. thicker/heavier
- Power efficiency went down - better screen/quad-core
- Runs with less thermal efficiency and hotter (heat is the enemy of electronics. more heat + no venting = no bueno) - lol. people want better screen & processor. compromise.
- It takes a ridiculously amount of time to bring to full charge. 17 hours to bring it to 100% when left on. 8-10 hours when off. You will only net 2% of charge per hour if charging off a USB port as many people do when on the road or vacation. - much larger battery
So to make it faster, they made it heavier, hotter, and less efficient which moves it away from the core identity of a tablet - light, efficient, cooler than a netbook/laptop.
Anyone can do that.
I've come to expect Apple to deliver engineering innovations.
No one really needed an Quad core tablet. The trade offs don't justify the increased power requirements at the moment. Dual was more than enough to push everything currently on the market.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 22, 2012, 05:34 PM

Given the same tech, that's what usually happens if u bought let's say a higher res screen tv (32" 720P vs 65" 1080P) somethings gotta give. Ninja 250 vs ZX-10...faster, but heavier, hotter, less efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
So to make it faster, they made it heavier, hotter, and less efficient which moves it away from the core identity of a tablet - light, efficient, cooler than a netbook/laptop.
Anyone can do that.
I've come to expect Apple to deliver engineering innovations.
No one really needed an Quad core tablet. The trade offs don't justify the increased power requirements at the moment. Dual was more than enough to push everything currently on the market.

#1 Machine: Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: BMW G310R / Michelin package - sooooo light and stable it's funny
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

March 22, 2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-MOTO View Post
For those that bought the IPAD3 (The new ipad) are you happy with your purchase? Do you think it's worth the money? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy the ipad2 from microcenter or fork up the extra $$$ for the ipad3.

I've also heard that quite a few people are having problems with the device getting very warm (sometimes freezing up). Has this happened to any of you?

My other option is to go android and get the Asus Transformer Prime.

I'm only going to be using this tablet to watch movies, check work and personal email and sometimes use vpn or citrix.
If you are gonna get an IPAD2, buy one in BKK when you get there. YOu can get them at MBK or Central world and they will jail break it for you right there and load like 200 apps of your choosing.
Unread
  (#13)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 22, 2012, 07:27 PM

Not to change the subject, but how are Asus laptops?

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

March 22, 2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
Not to change the subject, but how are Asus laptops?
I have an ASUS ZenBook and it is awesome. We have two and are trying to unload one of them.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#15)
Site Owner

March 22, 2012, 07:52 PM

at the opinions of people who have played with it for 15 minutes at best buy or the apple store

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper