DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
1 members and 581 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Iphone Related: App Store v Cydia
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Iphone Related: App Store v Cydia - June 17, 2010, 07:26 AM

This question is for anyone in the know and as well as those that have developed for the iphone/pad OS.

So I understand how apple doesnt want apps that provide the same functionality as basic features, but what about those apps that go above and beyond.

For example here are a few apps that would go good in the app store: Lockinfo, 5 icon dock, springboard wallpaper (winterboard).

Now I know with iOS4 it will allow you to change your springboard background, but why wait now when it was being done already through winterboard? Why not extend an invitation to some of the cydia apps to be included in the app store.

Id rather not jailbreak my phone again. Ive had crashes when jailbroken, but never when it wasnt. Well Ive had some apps crash but never on boot (which i have had on a jailbroken phone).

So I guess the main question is why dont some of the developers with really useful features dont make it to itunes, but dumb ass apps make it there that have no usefulness at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#2)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

June 17, 2010, 08:33 AM

Basically ,that is the essence of the iPhone. "We don't release every possible feature, but when we do, we make sure it works really well". Those apps don't make it to the App Store because Apple doesn't want you to be able to do it; which is the reason why people jailbreak. You actually made a good example yourself: background wallpaper. They are finally deciding to let you do that wish iOS 4. Before, they decided it wasn't ready to be released. It takes a lot of testing and tweaking to make sure all of these features work really well without crashing the phone as you mentioned it has done while being jailbroken.

Also, this is part of the difference between the iOS and Android software. Android is more open and gives you more functionality. It just doesn't always necessarily work as well as iOS's features.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
intermediate

June 17, 2010, 08:40 AM

thats true, alot of what they are allowing now we've been enjoying for some time now. The crashes is just something we have to put up with to reap the numerous benefits. I've recently found that the games work alot better in safe mode. That info would have saved me alot of time when i was working on beating gta.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to silky Send a message via AIM to silky Send a message via Skype™ to silky 
Unread
  (#4)
Mojito Anyone?

June 17, 2010, 08:47 AM

CLAP

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#5)
TPG og

June 17, 2010, 08:59 AM

Apple excercises fascist-like control over the App Store.......Cydia arose to fill the gap. If it cuts into Apples profit...like tethering, SKype, etc... Apple doesn't allow it. If Steve Jobs sneezes while their reviewing your app, it gets rejected. Viva Cydia! I don't even own an Iphone, but I sympathize with the struggle of my brothers.....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 17, 2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
Apple excercises fascist-like control over the App Store.......Cydia arose to fill the gap. If it cuts into Apples profit...like tethering, SKype, etc... Apple doesn't allow it. If Steve Jobs sneezes while their reviewing your app, it gets rejected. Viva Cydia! I don't even own an Iphone, but I sympathize with the struggle of my brothers.....
Yeah, but adding an extra space on the dock or seeing if you have emails, missed calls, etc doesnt exactly eat into their profits. Further more apple gets at least 30% of each app sale. So unless its a stability issue there is no reason to block apps.

Now competing products are another matter, but really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#7)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 17, 2010, 12:03 PM

i prefer to use installous instead of the app store

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

June 17, 2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
Yeah, but adding an extra space on the dock or seeing if you have emails, missed calls, etc doesnt exactly eat into their profits. Further more apple gets at least 30% of each app sale. So unless its a stability issue there is no reason to block apps.

Now competing products are another matter, but really!
Steve Jobs eats babies. Checkmate

In all seriousness though, I know they were blocking Skype and unauthorized tethering to get their profits up. As far as obvious options that should've been included and weren't... Apple just seems to think that everything they do is the best and correct and even when their suggest otherwise they fail at implementing them or even allowing customers themselves to implement them, hence the need for jailbreaking. It's a well known fact the Steve Job is an egomaniac...and he probably caused the Gulf Oil Spill. But thats a whole different thread entirley...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 19, 2010, 07:22 AM

Tethering and skype don't do a thing for apples profit, that's all AT&T. Apple wouldn't allow it because of the carriers

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#10)
Agitator

June 19, 2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh
Tethering and skype don't do a thing for apples profit, that's all AT&T. Apple wouldn't allow it because of the carriers
Beat me too it. That's all ATT.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 19, 2010, 04:24 PM

Who needs logic when you've got NEEERRRDDDDDRRRAAAAAAGGGEEEEE

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...