DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
2 members and 549 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Iphone on Verizon network
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Iphone on Verizon network - February 27, 2009, 11:46 AM

http://www.itexaminer.com/apple-to-a...nnections.aspx

Apple to allow Verizon connections

When Jobs is away the cats will play

By Nick Farrell in Rome @ Monday, February 23, 2009 7:10 AM

Apple is certain to allow Verizon to join its elite band of Iphone providers, bringing to an end the exclusive and somewhat stupid exclusivity deal in its biggest market.

Deep throats in Apple claim that Iphones for Verizon Wireless will be announced soon.

While the deal is so secret that Apple will not even hint that it is happening, the outfit had been trying to find EVDO and CDMA Engineers for months in their online Iphone job postings. While EVDO could cover a wide range of 3G skills, it is more likely that Apple is specifically after the Verizon Wireless standard.

According to 9to 5 Apple has had a huge problem with its AT&T deal because Steve Jobs mis-judged its control over the US wireless market. While the outfit is big, Apple needed to bring in Verizon and perhaps Sprint to get the sort of coverage that would give the same sort of coverage enjoyed by Blackberry, Symbian and Android users.

AT&T is betting on LTE technology which will not be around until 2010, which is a long time for Apple to wait to increase its reach. An EVDO version of the phone will mean that Apple can dump the Canadian Rogers network which is really expensive. Developing an EVDO phone will draw Apple closer to Vodafone which has most of the contracts for the Iphone around the world. But what is strange about the whole deal is that Verizon claimed it was relieved not to get the Iphone exclusivity deal because Apple CEO Steve Jobs insisted on too much control over Iphone distribution.

This would have blocked Wal-Mart, Best Buy and other Verizon distributors from selling the gear. Steve Jobs is now off work sick and Apple might want to be extending its distribution. It is possible that Apple employees are hammering out a more open deal while Jobs is recovering from something that is definitely not cancer

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm to good for your air

February 27, 2009, 11:49 AM

I want a Sprint iPhone
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

February 27, 2009, 11:50 AM

why would anyone want to buy that Iapple junk, beyond me

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm to good for your air

February 27, 2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b View Post
why would anyone want to buy that Iapple junk, beyond me
Because I'm not ignorant to the fact that it would be my personal Awesomizer!

Since everything that goes though those phones are awesomer than when they went in!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#5)
SUPERBITCHIN'

February 27, 2009, 12:11 PM

that would be nice, I'm tired of briging my classic around and pretending that it's also a phone
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

February 27, 2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
Because I'm not ignorant to the fact that it would be my personal Awesomizer!

Since everything that goes though those phones are awesomer than when they went in!
lol

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#7)
making it do what it do!!

February 27, 2009, 12:15 PM

Verizon takes revenge from losing patent on DC Metro under rail coverage, AT&T is in the works of lighting up the metro for full underground service.

for Verizon! I like Apple products, like the iPhone just doesn't do everything I need it to

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL  
Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

February 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

Look for Verizon to diasble anything they can if it competes with their business model. They've done this before to phones when WiFi and Bluetooth competed with they're ripoff service prices. I am a loyal verizon customer though, great coverage, crappy greedy policies though.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

February 27, 2009, 03:48 PM

I'm surprised they're going to get the deal broken. Either way, the iPhone is a pretty sweet device.

Oderint dum metuant
-Caligula
Unread
  (#10)
Give me the Ban Button!

February 27, 2009, 04:45 PM

I have been a verizon Customer for years. There coverage is great there customer service reps are very helpful and kind. There prices suck and so do some of the policies. I am stuck in 2 contracts with them otherwise i would be on AT&T already. The Iphone will keep me at verizon for awhile longer

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

February 27, 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Correction 11:56 a.m. PST: We messed up. The 9 to 5 Mac blog we cited below is in fact from September 2008, so it turns out this is an old rumor. Because it showed up in our RSS feed Saturday, we, like a number of other publications, took it as a recent post and went from there. Apologies for the confusion.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10169417-1.html
Unread
  (#12)
PewPew

February 27, 2009, 08:06 PM

All that for nothing. But why Apple decided to use AT&T is beyond me. Having been an AT&T and Sprint customer I can say without a doubt Verizon has the largest most reliable network. It's hard to find a location my phone doesn't work and their support is professional and helpful. Only issue I have ever had with them was when the IN network calling was first introduced. They forgot to activate the service when i signed the new contract and i recieved a $500 bill. I got a lot of responses of "We don't do bill adjustments" or "We can send you a $50 rebate offer." I laughed at them and just kept working my way up the food chain until I got to someone who WOULD fix THEIR gross mistake. Whole process took about 5 months to resolve and they even had the nerve to send me a "your payment is late" notice once. But after all that was said and done I've had no issues, and quite frankly the trouble was worth the reliability of the network.

Iphone would rock on Verizon... if only it would happen

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

March 1, 2009, 03:43 PM

Don't the run on 2 different networks? I think verizon is CDMA and the Iphone is GMS oR whatever its called.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st