DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 537
1 members and 536 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ipod question
Unread
  (#1)
Custom User Title

Ipod question - April 30, 2009, 11:29 AM

Trying to figure out the best way to set my ipod up with Bluetooth AND a remote. I'd like to be able to keep it in my luggage but still control the songs. Does this setup look like it would work?

The iJet is the remote and has a passthrough for charging. I figured I could plug the Scosche in to that. Then I could listen through the Scala headset I already have.

Thoughts?

btw - love the new "similar threads" popup.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MrDan  
Unread
  (#2)
What failure looks like

April 30, 2009, 11:34 AM

I had a very similar setup for the bike. I strapped the remote to the handlebars and left the iPod in my inner pocket. It worked great for skipping/pausing/volume control while on the move. There was no need to fiddle with anything or being forced to listen to a song that you didn't want to hear that the time.

Even works with Pandora app on the iPhone to skip ahead.

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#3)
Site Owner

April 30, 2009, 11:38 AM

you want to verify that the 'passthru' indeed passes the full signal and you can chain the two accessories together. it might just pass through power, in which case you might be screwed.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#4)
Custom User Title

April 30, 2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcooled View Post
I had a very similar setup for the bike. I strapped the remote to the handlebars and left the iPod in my inner pocket. It worked great for skipping/pausing/volume control while on the move. There was no need to fiddle with anything or being forced to listen to a song that you didn't want to hear that the time.

Even works with Pandora app on the iPhone to skip ahead.
Were you using Bluetooth? Or wired headphones? I need the BT for the wireless.
Unread
  (#5)
Custom User Title

April 30, 2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
you want to verify that the 'passthru' indeed passes the full signal and you can chain the two accessories together. it might just pass through power, in which case you might be screwed.
That's what I can't seem to find ... if not, I'll just go with the BT part and mount the ipod in lieu of a remote.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 30, 2009, 12:01 PM

so on the bike what kind of headphones are you using that fit comfortably under the helmet for this setup?

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#7)
Custom User Title

April 30, 2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX2050 View Post
so on the bike what kind of headphones are you using that fit comfortably under the helmet for this setup?
I have a Cardo Scala Rider. Mounts to the helmet, and a mic and speaker fit inside. It's mono, but that's fine since I'm wearing ear plugs anyway.

Unread
  (#8)
I'm to good for your air

April 30, 2009, 12:59 PM

headphones are illegal

Wanna catch me ridin' dirty
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#9)
Custom User Title

April 30, 2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
headphones are illegal

That's why I'm not using headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46.2-1078
Unlawful to operate motor vehicle, bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped while using earphones.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle, bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped on the highways in the Commonwealth while using earphones on or in both ears.
For the purpose of this section, "earphones" shall mean any device worn on or in both ears that converts electrical energy to sound waves or which impairs or hinders the person's ability to hear, but shall not include (i) any prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing, (ii) earphones installed in helmets worn by motorcycle operators and riders and used as part of a communications system
It's tied to my cell phone .. so it's part of a communications system.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

April 30, 2009, 02:28 PM

i have a scosche remote unit. got it from target, it was the unit that's suppose to mount to a car steering wheel (i just use the remote sans mounting unit on my keychain). it has a pass through, and passes signals. i'm able to use my ipod->OEM head unit adapter through it. it will play the music, change tracks, and charge through the passthrough connector. so worst case get get the scosche remote, and run the BT adaptor through the that.

edit: another note is that the scosche remote has a small adapter that does NOT block the earphone plug on a nano. so incase you ever want to run a wired earphone setup (like for snowboarding, or if your BT runs out of batteries) it's possible without having to buy an extender.

Last edited by slow231; April 30, 2009 at 02:32 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Custom User Title

April 30, 2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
i have a scosche remote unit. got it from target, it was the unit that's suppose to mount to a car steering wheel (i just use the remote sans mounting unit on my keychain). it has a pass through, and passes signals. i'm able to use my ipod->OEM head unit adapter through it. it will play the music, change tracks, and charge through the passthrough connector. so worst case get get the scosche remote, and run the BT adaptor through the that.

edit: another note is that the scosche remote has a small adapter that does NOT block the earphone plug on a nano. so incase you ever want to run a wired earphone setup (like for snowboarding, or if your BT runs out of batteries) it's possible without having to buy an extender.
Is this the one you have?

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID.../productID/527
Unread
  (#12)
T.R.I.T.D.H

... - April 30, 2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
headphones are illegal

but ear plugs arent....

so just say that, "actually only one headphone works....the other is in to act an earplug.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#13)
I'm to good for your air

April 30, 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
but ear plugs arent....

so just say that, "actually only one headphone works....the other is in to act an earplug.
Meh, I ride with headphones, if they catch me ridin' dirty, then I'll try harder next time not to get caught.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

April 30, 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDan View Post
that's exactly it. the little remote pops right out of that holder and has a little tab you can hook with a small keyring. i got it at target for $3x. I can't find it on their website though, I found it in a store. works great, i had another setup i used when snowboarding this winter (it's was the audex system burton sells with their ipod jackets). it blocked my headphone jack so i had to buy a pass through extender in order to use earphones. it also drained batteries like a mofo. 4 hrs and it would be dead from full charge. the remote system definitely uses more batteries than normal, but the scosche i've had out for 6+ hrs and it's fine. that also may be something you want to consider if you want to tack on BT on top of the RF transmitter/reciever.

Last edited by slow231; April 30, 2009 at 05:06 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Custom User Title

April 30, 2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
that's exactly it. the little remote pops right out of that holder and has a little tab you can hook with a small keyring. i got it at target for $3x. I can't find it on their website though, I found it in a store. works great, i had another setup i used when snowboarding this winter (it's was the audex system burton sells with their ipod jackets). it blocked my headphone jack so i had to buy a pass through extender in order to use earphones. it also drained batteries like a mofo. 4 hrs and it would be dead from full charge. the remote system definitely uses more batteries than normal, but the scosche i've had out for 6+ hrs and it's fine. that also may be something you want to consider if you want to tack on BT on top of the RF transmitter/reciever.
Good point about the battery life. I have a dist block on the bike so I can wire in a charger in case everything dies. I just bought a Schosche BT module on ebay so that should handle that side of things. The remote you have is going for ~$20 on ebay but I think I need to see how easy it is to use with gloves first.