DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 409
4 members and 405 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, R6SP, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The IRS scandal is big: Lies upon lies
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

The IRS scandal is big: Lies upon lies - May 14, 2013, 03:36 PM

Surprised this hasn't earned its own thread but then again, it's not good press for the left wing so maybe understandable. Folks, the IRS scandal is big and scary. You might chuckle now because the agency targeted "the teabaggers" and "those crazy rightwing nutjobs", but one only need to stop and think for a moment how scary this is. The IRS violated the US Constitution with prejudice, and it involved some high-up people. Then there have been a number of disturbing lies perpetrated upon the public, among them being the attempt to blame a small group of low-ranking nobodies in Ohio. Lol nope. Suits are involved. Welcome to your new police state, the one that people said would happen under Reagan but didn't until now. Fortunately we have a public press that is still willing to doggedly sniff out corruption in our federal government.

IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups - The Washington Post

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

May 14, 2013, 03:51 PM

I'm going to hold over judgment on this until it is determined who was responsible for the orders to make discriminate inquiries into the tax status of these organizations, and whether all appropriate measures were followed.

Certainly any of us would see reasonable cause to investigate if, in a compressed and unusual period of time, hundreds of new organizations are formed, all claiming 501(c) status - tax free status, and they claim to be entities not engaged in direct political influence or attached to any party, yet name themselves with dog-whistle key words that in the context of the period, would indicate that they are which would of course invalidate their status claims.

(Sidenote: This is one the reasons why campaign finance laws being jigged to allow Super PACS and SCOTUS allowing corporations to be direct contributors is going take what's left in the credibility of our electoral and representation system and throw it directly into the dung pile).

If I recall, the press didn't uncover this story. One of the directors at the IRS made an allocution t at a BAR association meeting of her own volition. The press circulated her comments and the rest is where we are today.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; May 14, 2013 at 03:55 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

May 14, 2013, 04:09 PM

I suppose being a moderate is advantageous in that you may avoid bullying via the IRS.

What people need to realize is that if the IRS is now an instrument of coercion for the incumbent political party, it can go both ways. Regardless of on whose watch it happened, this is very bad... and unconstitutional. I can't really see what the moderate position on this would look like.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

May 14, 2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
What people need to realize is that if the IRS is now an instrument of coercion for the incumbent political party, it can go both ways. Regardless of on whose watch it happened, this is very bad... and unconstitutional. I can't really see what the moderate position on this would look like.
Well, let's take a step back. The IRS, or rather the Tax Code, has always been used as an instrument of coercion and pandering by whichever party wanted to appeal to their base or win favor.
"Vote for me and no new taxes." - "Vote for me and I'll add or change this deduction."
We'll never get the comprehensive and encompassing tax code reform which we need.

Now, I agree with the last part of your statement. It is both bad and possibly unconstitutional, however, as I said, I want to hold over on judgment of any one party until someone determines was this a directive from a Executive Cabinet or rather a case of an independent, overaggressive, overzealous IRS agent(s) and Director who abused their power.

Both the former and later have happened in our history, OSD.

One is oversight issue, but as the IRS is an independent agency with its own investigative branch it is difficult to point the proverbial finger at Congress or the Executive branch. Such is the risk of malady with independent agencies.

The other has significantly larger implications - up to and including impeachment.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

May 14, 2013, 04:32 PM

Heist, the IRS already admitted this happened! When the IRS admits that it targeted "conservative political groups", you can safely conclude that it's a partisan and deeply political scandal. Plus there are multiple violations that are still being revealed in the ongoing investigations. Plus the lie that it was some low-level rogues in a branch office has been exploded. I too am reserving judgment before suggesting anyone high up in particular may fall--that's why I didn't name names. However, we're beyond whether this was politically motivated. It absolutely was. The big question to answer at this point is, how high does it go?

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 14, 2013, 04:37 PM

Hey, as long as your church is BATF approved and your political party is IRS approved, you have nothing to worry about.
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

May 14, 2013, 05:37 PM

Hopefully they don't tie this to Obama. Part of the second article of impeachment for Nixon" He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavoured to obtain from the Internal Revenue Service, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, confidential information contained in income tax returns for purposed not authorized by law, and to cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be intitiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner."
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 14, 2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemask View Post
Hopefully they don't tie this to Obama. Part of the second article of impeachment for Nixon" He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavoured to obtain from the Internal Revenue Service, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, confidential information contained in income tax returns for purposed not authorized by law, and to cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be intitiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner."
But it's ok because he's the first black president

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

May 14, 2013, 09:37 PM

arguably worst and most corrupt President in history...
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

May 15, 2013, 01:39 AM

Looks like the IRS leaked 9 confidential applications to a media outlet as well.

Information contained within was privileged and private.

I don't think the President had anything to do with this specifically, but the culture of corruption and flagrant lack of transparency is beginning to be a bit much.

Don't see much Change or Hope of late.
Unread
  (#13)
Railing!

May 15, 2013, 05:55 AM

This is how we do it here in Chicago. I dont understand what is the problem!?!?

06 gsxr 750
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

May 15, 2013, 06:39 AM

yet another reason site should be renamed dcrightwingriders.net

Do you people not get enough traction on political forums with this shit? Do you consider this your "peer" group and seek approval? Were you not hugged enough as a child? (obviously not, judging by the "I beat my child" threads...)

Hypocrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#15)
Eddie would go ...

May 15, 2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
t the culture of corruption and flagrant lack of transparency is beginning to be a bit much.
welcome to politics - left right or center

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.