DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
3 members and 556 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
ISO nerds: any statistics whizzes out there?
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

ISO nerds: any statistics whizzes out there? - June 11, 2008, 11:31 AM

I know I'll probably catch a bunch of sh1t for posting this (as it does not pertain to fun), but any chance there are some math/statistics whizzes out there who wanna help me pass summer school? Taking an engineering stat class that's pretty tough and could certainly use help with the homework.

There is no vaccine against stupidity.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to pitbull  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

June 11, 2008, 12:14 PM

birdman

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Owner of the Site Owner

June 11, 2008, 12:14 PM

stats was fun. post up the questions

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Honkey Kong

June 11, 2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
stats was fun. post up the questions
+1
I've been planning to self-study through a couple of stats books I have lying around. This would be an excellent motivator.

--
"Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. When we look deeply we see that all views are wrong."--Thich Naht Hanh

gewalker@gmail.com | Twitter: @gewalker

2007 SV650N
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to M0nk3y  
Unread
  (#5)
<-Insert Witty Quip Here.

June 11, 2008, 12:32 PM

I'm taking STAT250 at GMU this semester. Not that I'll be that big of a help, but I've got the concepts down pretty good thus far. If it's basic and we've covered it already, I'll be happy to give my .02, wouldn't hurt for me either to be interactive with it...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BadAssMother4k  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

June 11, 2008, 12:37 PM

I'm taking STAT 344 and it's tough. Not gonna post the questions just bc it's time consuming, PM or email me if you're interested.

Unread
  (#7)
<-Insert Witty Quip Here.

June 11, 2008, 12:39 PM

Then you should be helping me!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BadAssMother4k  
Unread
  (#8)
Track Ho

June 11, 2008, 12:51 PM

post questions

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#9)
Track Ho

June 11, 2008, 12:55 PM

I looked at your syllabus, some of it is cake, some of it I would have to look at more

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

June 11, 2008, 01:44 PM

I know biostats, and some of it will be applicable. I guess I could serve as an alternate consultant.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
www.udothedishes.com

June 11, 2008, 01:53 PM

I'm an ME with a master's. I've had some standard stats classes. PM ur question and I'll see if i can help

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

June 13, 2008, 08:52 AM

Here's the first:

A small market orders a magazine every week. Suppose the store owner pays $1 for each copy and sells it for $2. If magazines leftover have no salvage value, is it better to order 3 or 4 copies? (hint: for both 3 and 4 copies ordered, express net revenue as a function of demand X and then compute the expected revenue.)

Let X = demand for the magazine, and the pmf is

x p(x)
1 1/15
2 2/15
3 3/15
4 4/15
5 3/15
6 2/15

I have the answer, but not sure how to get to it. Expected value =
E[h3(X)] = 2.466 and E[h4(X)]=2.667, so it's better to order 4.

Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

June 13, 2008, 09:12 AM

And the next....

15 telephones have just been received at a service center. 5 are cellular, 5 are corded, and 5 are cordless. Suppose that these components are randomly allocated the numbers 1,2,3....15 to establish the order in which they will be serviced.

a.What is the probability that after servicing 10 of them, phones of only 2 of the 3 types remain to be serviced?

b. What is the probability that 2 phones of each type are among the first 6 to be serviced?

Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 13, 2008, 09:17 AM

Well, I am no statistics guru, but it seems that you should be able to take the profit/loss for each scenario and multiply it by the probability of that scenario and add them up. For example, under the Buy 3 scenario, you have a 1/15 chance of selling 1, a 2/15 chance of selling 2 and a 12/15 chance of selling 3. The loss on selling 1 would be (1), the profit on selling 2 would be 1. and the profit on selling 3 would be 3. Do the same for buying 4 and see what happens.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

June 13, 2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
Well, I am no statistics guru, but it seems that you should be able to take the profit/loss for each scenario and multiply it by the probability of that scenario and add them up. For example, under the Buy 3 scenario, you have a 1/15 chance of selling 1, a 2/15 chance of selling 2 and a 12/15 chance of selling 3. The loss on selling 1 would be (1), the profit on selling 2 would be 1. and the profit on selling 3 would be 3. Do the same for buying 4 and see what happens.
I get what you're saying....it's perfect common sense. But I have to come up with the 2 expected values that I have as the solution, and it just doesn't add up right. The exp. val. is nothing more than the probability times the X value. If I take the sum of the (prob. times X) for X=1, 2,and 3 I get .934