DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
1 members and 550 guests
scarab
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
It's been a long uphill battle....
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

It's been a long uphill battle.... - May 2, 2008, 09:09 AM

....but DC finally made it to number 1!

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/10/con...hisSpeed=15000

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nothing here

May 2, 2008, 10:01 AM

That link is annoying with it's auto "Next" function.
Unread
  (#3)
Spike

May 2, 2008, 10:12 AM

They wanna extend the metro out to Dulles. I'm for it. Some are not.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#4)
girls just wanna have fun

May 2, 2008, 11:47 AM

I have to go into DC today to meet a friend for dinner. Metro all the way!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled  
Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

May 2, 2008, 11:50 AM

Murder capital and traffic capital... coincidence, I THINK NOT!!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)

May 2, 2008, 12:07 PM

I think they should put barrier walls up between the regular lanes and the HOV lanes, then make it HOV 3 with minimal exits and a higher speed limit. This traps HOV violators allowing them to be more easily caught and fined, reducing the incentive to cheat. The most efficient way to achieve long term traffic solutions is inducing high incentives to carpool. Without any additional cost to the public, carpooling reduces traffic. All forms of mass transit come with greater costs. Next, I would do away with "personal property tax" and go to tax collection at registration time with a greater weight given to "distance from home to registered work location". If you live far from your work, you use more roads, and you pay more tax.

A database of home and work locations would allow planners to precisely measure commuting patterns and provide the most efficient public transportation options... and it would allow such options to advertise their availability directly to you.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#7)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

May 2, 2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
I think they should put barrier walls up between the regular lanes and the HOV lanes, then make it HOV 3 with minimal exits and a higher speed limit. This traps HOV violators allowing them to be more easily caught and fined, reducing the incentive to cheat. The most efficient way to achieve long term traffic solutions is inducing high incentives to carpool. Without any additional cost to the public, carpooling reduces traffic. All forms of mass transit come with greater costs. Next, I would do away with "personal property tax" and go to tax collection at registration time with a greater weight given to "distance from home to registered work location". If you live far from your work, you use more roads, and you pay more tax.

A database of home and work locations would allow planners to precisely measure commuting patterns and provide the most efficient public transportation options... and it would allow such options to advertise their availability directly to you.
This second suggestion, of taxing people more for living farther from their work, sounds like a wonderful experiment in social engineering, which is JUST what I want from my government but the feds already tax me for my longer commute in gas taxes.

And for those of us who already HOV3 from our distant homes we AREN'T using more roads. And what about those who telework? They may live far from their work locations, but they don't use roads at all to get to work.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#8)
need more knee down

May 2, 2008, 12:53 PM

Guys i work with one of the contractors on Vdot/Sha/ddot HOT lanes project...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_occupancy_toll

Specifically working on the future 395/95 corridor section which is suppose to follow close behind the approved 495 section. There is also a planned 66 section were the lanes are either elevated or sectioned off.

yall should look into the many public meetings vdot sets up for citizens to come and voice opinions or just see what they have coming down the pipe line.

I live in manassas and work in arlington so i understand the headaches. THe projects are coming
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#9)
2 wheels for life

May 2, 2008, 02:14 PM

Ya its congested but the most?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)

May 2, 2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
This second suggestion, of taxing people more for living farther from their work, sounds like a wonderful experiment in social engineering, which is JUST what I want from my government but the feds already tax me for my longer commute in gas taxes.
Oh, social engineering is asking you to pay for what you use now? --> (I can do it too) You use more roads, you should pay more in taxes to maintain those roads. Obviously gas taxes don't cover the full bill. Nice dodge though. It makes sense for revenue to come from both souces however, given that just because you are in a super fuel efficient vehicle doesn't mean that you "use" the road less than someone who drives a gas guzzler - as your tax might suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
And for those of us who already HOV3 from our distant homes we AREN'T using more roads. And what about those who telework? They may live far from their work locations, but they don't use roads at all to get to work.
Meh, minor details to be resolved. However, my plan would limit sprawl and "long distance" commuters seeking the low cost housing of the stix, but the high paying jobs of downtown DC. Part of the problem IMO is people are having their cake and eating it, and screwing traffic in the process with their huge commutes (half my office commutes from Maryland... TO CHANTILLY!)

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; May 2, 2008 at 06:54 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
need more knee down

May 2, 2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Part of the problem IMO is people are having their cake and eating it, and screwing traffic in the process with their huge commutes (half my office commutes from Maryland... TO CHANTILLY!)

thats because hpusing is so expensive in towards the city that those high paying jobs dont even cut it. When i lived in baltimore i commuted 15-30 min tops and thats on a really bad day when everyone was on 695. I made good money and could afford a decent house and supporting myself.

Moved down here and instantly i got shell shocked. I was making a good 25% more yet i could not cover my bills. Almost 8 months now and im finally catching up and buying a house down here. I could of found a tiny condo in arlington for what i am paying for my townhouse in manassas but i prefer to get the most for my money.

Until i find a job that lets me telecommute a few days a week at least ill have to suck it up and deal with the commute. Also tech jobs out here past rt. 28 sux lol. If there is a cad designer position out here doing transportation let me know! Ill take a $10k pay cut to work 5 min from my house since i figure i spend that much a year just on GAS!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr