DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
4 members and 578 guests
2blueyam, beatle, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Job Search
Unread
  (#1)
Contributor

Job Search - March 30, 2009, 10:39 PM

Well I posted a while back that I was looking for work. I was given an offer from AOL but felt they were not a great option and I am still looking.

I have interviews mainly in Rockville and in DC. Looks like the Rockville area has the most interest now. So I have a few questions I would like to ask all of you.

Since I don't and never have lived in MD would you recommend it if the job offers turn out good up there?

What areas would be best and why?

If you are strong in Unix/Linux I can really use your help and would appreciate if you shot me a PM as I would like to ask a series of questions about administration and scripting.

Also I would like to know if any of you work at Viable? If so please let me know. If you have used a site or a headhunter can you please recommend them to me or pass me their information?

My resume is complete and ready to be passed on. I can start a new position in the last week of April. My last required day for Blackboard is on or about April 23rd.

Thanks!

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

March 31, 2009, 12:52 AM

acsysinc.com is a HUGE and very well known staffer for accounting and IT positions.

they only place IT positions in MD (and a few other states, just not VA - check out the website and do a search)...so give them a call and tell them Derek sent you. Talk to Sheridan King (if she's still there) she'll direct you right.

g/l & semper fi!!

Last edited by Oneway; March 31, 2009 at 12:55 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 31, 2009, 07:07 AM

Good call on the Aol. They don't look at employees as being anything other then expendable.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 31, 2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
Good call on the Aol. They don't look at employees as being anything other then expendable.
No, no. It's all different this time. New mgmt, new vision. Blah, blah, blah.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#5)
God of the Gaps

March 31, 2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyinVA View Post
Well I posted a while back that I was looking for work. I was given an offer from AOL but felt they were not a great option and I am still looking.
So you had a job offer, and decided to turn it down because you like looking for a job that much? Regardless of how you think AOL treats its employees or what you think the future (or lack thereof) of the company is, it would have been a job that could pay your bills and give you medical coverage. It would have also given you the breathing room to comfortably take your time looking around for what you think would be the right job.

And no, I'm not an AOL employee...anymore. I'm glad I got out when I did and got set up with a pretty sweet gig last year, but if I was looking right now I would have no problem accepting another position with AOL. Once you learn to accept the fact that a company is out to make a profit, and understand that we're no longer in the .com happy office family work days, working at someplace like AOL becomes much easier.

Good luck with the search, and I hope you land your dream job soon.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Contributor

March 31, 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
So you had a job offer, and decided to turn it down because you like looking for a job that much? Regardless of how you think AOL treats its employees or what you think the future (or lack thereof) of the company is, it would have been a job that could pay your bills and give you medical coverage. It would have also given you the breathing room to comfortably take your time looking around for what you think would be the right job.

And no, I'm not an AOL employee...anymore. I'm glad I got out when I did and got set up with a pretty sweet gig last year, but if I was looking right now I would have no problem accepting another position with AOL. Once you learn to accept the fact that a company is out to make a profit, and understand that we're no longer in the .com happy office family work days, working at someplace like AOL becomes much easier.

Good luck with the search, and I hope you land your dream job soon.

AOL called me directly and bypassed the recruiter to tell me that the offer still stands and can they may likely be able to work with the start date I need. Only after 2 weeks of telling me I had to start April 6th vs 23rd and throw away a severance that offered more security then the offer they gave through the headhunter. I'm not out for a freebee or dream job nor am I collecting unemployment. I also clearly recognize the need to make a profit. My reasons were not solely based on the salary but also on the input from the hiring party who they themselves suggest the offer is hard to swallow without any guarentees. Since it comes via a recruiter the benefits and salary would actually paid via them and they don't offer everything that say a full time direct hire would receive. While I see your direction I am not asking for a handout but rather leads to a more suitable fit for my skill set.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#7)
God of the Gaps

March 31, 2009, 10:50 PM

So contract vs FTE. That's a tough one. I'd pick FTE, but some people love contract work. Who's the hiring manager? Just curious. Spent almost 10 years over there so know pretty much everyone (who's left over there) in ops, tools, and to a lesser extent QA and dev. I also have some good friends working for Platform-A. You can PM me if you don't want to post it up in here.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to