DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
2 members and 556 guests
Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Jr. Rolling outta town
Unread
  (#1)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
Jr. Rolling outta town - May 10, 2007, 10:23 PM

Earnhardt Jr. to Leave DEI After Season

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20070510T224238Z"));4 hours agoUPDATED 3 HOURS 36 MINUTES AGO
MOORESVILLE, N.C. - For Dale Earnhardt Jr., winning is everything. That's what his daddy taught him. And by ditching his namesake company to find a more competitive ride, Junior gave his own lesson in life: Not even blood is thicker than winning.
NASCAR's most popular driver ended months of contentious contract negotiations with his stepmother Thursday, announcing he will leave Dale Earnhardt Inc. at the end of the season because he and Teresa Earnhardt can't agree on a common vision for the family business.
"It is time for me to continue his legacy in the only way I know I can _ by taking the life lessons that he told me: Be a man, race hard and contend for championships," Junior said. "That's what I intend to do, and I feel strongly that I would have my father's blessing."
Earnhardt had tried to reach a new deal with his stepmother. But the bargaining turned tense after she publicly questioned his commitment, and Junior later said their relationship "ain't a bed of roses."
So he'll move on, starting what should be a frenzied free agency period that could shake the sport by causing long-term ripple effects in driver salary and sponsor deals.
He's already NASCAR's highest-paid driver, earning $20.1 million per year, a million more than No. 2 Jeff Gordon.
And the bidding has already begun.
"704-662-9642, tell him that's my phone number," said car owner Chip Ganassi, who lured Juan Pablo Montoya away from Formula One this season to drive one of his Dodges.
Perhaps Teresa Earnhardt should shout out her phone number, too, now that she must rebuild the company without its star.
"While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr. has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future," she said in a statement. "Dale and I built this company to be a championship contender, and those principles still apply. Dale Earnhardt Inc. will win."
The late Dale Earnhardt started DEI in 1980 as a little company he hoped to someday hand over to his four children. DEI had grown into one of NASCAR's elite teams when Earnhardt was killed on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500, but it slowly has deteriorated since. The team currently fields cars for Earnhardt, Martin Truex Jr. and rookie Paul Menard.
Despite 17 career victories, Junior has never been a consistent championship contender. He flirted briefly with the title in 2004 but had a horrendous 2005 season, when his stepmother split up his crew and he finished a career-worst 19th in the standings.
Earnhardt rebounded slightly last season, when he made the Chase and finished fifth. He's yet to show any muscle this season, with three top-10 finishes through 10 races.
"At 32 years of age, the same age my father was when he made his final and most important career decision, it's time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships now," he said.
Earnhardt agonized over the decision and said telling DEI's employees on Thursday morning was one of the hardest things he's done. Underneath his party-boy persona, Junior cares terribly what people think and worries his father's fans will feel betrayed by this defection.
It's why he asked Darrell Waltrip, a friend and former rival of his father's, to fly in from Nashville.
His mother, Brenda Jackson, said her son struggles to understand his place in the sport.
"He never wants to upset anybody," she said. "As long as Dale Jr. is racing, the Earnhardt legacy is alive."
Earnhardt strongly believes his father's vision for DEI has been lost, and it's why he demanded 51 percent of the company during contract negotiations that started before the season began. His sister, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, had set a deadline to get the deal done by the end of the month.
"We never even got close," he said. "It's not the guy who gives me the biggest paycheck. There's some things you can't get with money _ peace of mind and satisfaction in what you do everyday.
"I'm seeking to have that peace of mind and that comfort to be able to really be an asset to somebody. I want to go somewhere and really make things happen for somebody."
Although there's been speculation that Earnhardt will field his own Nextel Cup team out of JR Motorsports, his sister said it wasn't ideal.
"I believe our first choice would be to drive for another top, competitive team," Elledge said. "Our last choice would be to form our own Cup team. If that was necessary, that would be what we would do."
"We're going to listen to everybody," Earnhardt added.
Earnhardt will likely first look inside the Chevrolet camp, which boasts three of the top teams in NASCAR.
Richard Childress Racing, where his father won six of his seven championships, is an obvious suitor. Junior has maintained a close relationship with the car owner, who still holds the rights to Dale Earnhardt's black No. 3.
"I've got to do a little soul searching on how I feel driving the No. 3 car," Earnhardt said.
RCR could add him as the fourth and final team NASCAR permits each owner, and it would team Earnhardt with Kevin Harvick, who replaced his father and has openly invited Junior to join the organization.
Hendrick would have to shuffle personnel to make room for Junior in its four-car stable, but could farm him out to one of the teams it assists. Ginn Racing has proved to be competitive this season using Hendrick motors, and Ginn general manager Jay Frye's intrigued.
"Will we be interested in talking to him? Absolutely. And so will everybody else," Frye said.
The wildcard could be Joe Gibbs Racing, another powerful three-car Chevy team that would pair him with buddies Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. Gibbs is coach of the Washington Redskins, and Earnhardt is die-hard fan.
But speaking after practice Thursday, Gibbs didn't sound as if his team is in the mix.
"I think anybody in the sport would be interested in Junior," Gibbs said. "It's just that I'm sure he's got a game plan and probably has a real good idea where he's going right now."
Earnhardt insists he and his sister will choose the team that gives him the best chance to win.
"I'll just have to see what's out there for us," Earnhardt said. "We're going to listen _ it doesn't cost anything to listen _ so we're going to listen to whoever has a conversation with us, and move from there."

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
"?"

May 10, 2007, 11:02 PM

DEI will never be the Same! He may pimp daddy's old #3! AnythIng is possible!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Give me the Ban Button!

May 10, 2007, 11:39 PM

I never saw that coming.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

May 11, 2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o
I never saw that coming.
He's been in negotiations with his step mother since the beginning of the season to aquire 51% of DEI. And why not, he is bringing in the majority of the money for the company, without him driving for them all she will have is proceeds from Dale Sr merchendise. This is actually a very smart move for JR, he may come off as a not-too-bright redneck but he is actually a pretty savey business man. The move he should make is to go to RCR and drive the #3 (the team and car his dad drove for). He is an advertising machine and should have the majority stake of DEI, his namesake.

On another note...go #17!!!!!
Unread
  (#5)
Still here

May 11, 2007, 08:10 AM

I'd love to see him join RCR. I think that would be a fantastic move. What I'd hate is to see him joing the pretty boys at Hendricks. I'd venture that almost anyone BUT Hendricks can have him in IMO.

on a side note.....GO #29!!!

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 11, 2007, 08:14 AM

WTF am I gonna do with all my #8 stuff now!!!!!! DEI bastards I can't stand Dale SR. wife!!!! I hope she goes bankrupt!!!!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
Still here

May 11, 2007, 08:30 AM

Ugh, forgot about all the stuff people have with the #8 on it (including my son who has a few things, the best one being his "8 reasons I hate 24" shirt ) At least it was Iron Cal's # too!

One reason I can't see him going to RCR and driving the 3 is because of what an immense amount of pressure there would be for that. Jr. has a ton of fans, but I don't know that he wants to suddenly be the #3 like his dad. Guess I need to talk to a few 3 and 8 fans and see what they'd say.

02 1100 VStar

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

May 11, 2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
WTF am I gonna do with all my #8 stuff now!!!!!! DEI bastards I can't stand Dale SR. wife!!!! I hope she goes bankrupt!!!!
hahaha I'd say hold onto it it may be worth something someday....but there is way too much #8 crap out there to be worth anything. I wonder how many #8 tattoos are out there that will be covered up.

Gidget...I don't see him going to Hendricks, however I would like to see a Hendricks motor in whatever he drives. He could get away driving #3 and it would irritate the step mom and be the ultimate slap in the face.
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

May 11, 2007, 08:45 AM

I honestly think this is a negation tactic. Hopefully his step mother will realize that with out Jr DEI racing will last but a few more seasons, go bankrupt and disappear.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
Still here

May 11, 2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool
I honestly think this is a negation tactic. Hopefully his step mother will realize that with out Jr DEI racing will last but a few more seasons, go bankrupt and disappear.
You could be right on that one!
There certainly was a lot of talk last year about Harvick leaving RCR and where he was going to go etc. In the end he stayed put and I think was made a happy (ha ha, get it "Happy") camper. Of course other than Daytona he's been having a pretty tough season....

Sad thing about Jr is he is such a spotty driver. Certainly he's no Gordon when it comes to wins, but he can race hard. I'd love to see him move on and have an outstanding year with someone else. That would piss old Teresa off even more I bet

02 1100 VStar

Unread
  (#11)
Retired to most ...

May 11, 2007, 10:37 AM

I personally say that the Step mom should not have the right to do that to Jr. That team was built by his father and his father was quoted many times in saying that it was his wish for Jr. to take the reins of control when the time came.

I expect to see Jr. sport good ol #3 and blow DEI outta the water.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#12)
"?"

May 11, 2007, 11:24 AM

Can't count out Gibbs Racing! Jr. is a Big fan of the Redskins!
Unread
  (#13)
"?"

May 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Quote from ol Jr.

"So I want to relax and just clear my head and get in a good football stance to go after this new deal that we're seeking."
Unread
  (#14)
Got my Permit

May 12, 2007, 02:38 AM

Jr goes to RCR and DEI folds up. Jr will use the number 8 or any other number, cept 3. Although he is not the best of the best, I think he will do alot better if he can get away from DEI.

04 Yamaha R6

"Operational engineer of the directional control apparatus."
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

May 12, 2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootzoot35
Can't count out Gibbs Racing! Jr. is a Big fan of the Redskins!
Yeah but Joe Gibbs won't take sponsors that deal with alcohol and I don't see Jr. dumping Budweiser and vice versa...plus he would take some thunder from Denny Hamlin and dear I say Tony...but who knows. I think this is a negotiation tactic but if it comes down to changing teams, he'll go RCR.