DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 1,216
3 members and 1,213 guests
nootherids, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Judge Overturns DC Gun Ban
Unread
  (#1)
CrazyMoFo

Judge Overturns DC Gun Ban - July 27, 2014, 09:26 AM

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/27..._r=0&referrer=

We'll see how long THIS lasts
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

July 27, 2014, 09:38 AM

Yah, I see DC Government just deciding to "Ignore" the ruling because of precedent by the DoJ choosing to 'Ignore' the enforcement of current law.

DC Government will say something along the line of "What ya gonna do 'bout it if we just ignore this judicial review and decision? Sue us?
"So Sue Me"

Sadly this is the precedent set and people will follow.

Last edited by ceilingcat; July 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

July 27, 2014, 11:03 AM

DC still does not issue CCWs under any circumstances to citizens, so I don't understand how this ruling changes anything. That unless this applies to open carry - in which case DCs banned weapons list is so expansive legal owners might as well have 6-Shooters and Muskets.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Gun Ban
Unread
  (#4)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

Gun Ban - July 27, 2014, 11:10 AM

The primary reasoning for the ruling was the House of Representatives (and rightly so utilizing their powers of the purse under the Constitution) were going to cut off D.C>'s funding lines if they did not recognize CCW permits issued by other states. Now what other craziness D.C. comes up with as far as registration remains to be seen.

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

July 27, 2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
DC still does not issue CCWs under any circumstances to citizens, so I don't understand how this ruling changes anything. That unless this applies to open carry - in which case DCs banned weapons list is so expansive legal owners might as well have 6-Shooters and Muskets.
D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) is the concealed carry law.

The ruling also says D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) can not be enforced. That's the registration restriction law.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
no one's blowing up moons

July 27, 2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
Yah, I see DC Government just deciding to "Ignore" the ruling because of president by the DoJ choosing to 'Ignore' the enforcement of current law.

DC Government will say something along the line of "What ya gonna do 'bout it if we just ignore this judicial review and decision? Sue us?
"So Sue Me"

Sadly this is the president set and people will follow.
Did you mean precedent?

Unfortunately spell check can't fix everything.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

July 27, 2014, 01:12 PM

So can I open carry from VA through DC now in my car or not?

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 28, 2014, 08:34 AM

as a dc citizen ..... what do this means for me?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

July 28, 2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcslvr View Post
So can I open carry from VA through DC now in my car or not?
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Here's the quirk in this ruling. It does nothing to address:

- DC's harshly punitive laws for possession of ammunition without a registered weapon in DC, and for the avoidance of doubt, DC also considers spent and empty shell casings ammunition. I believe the penalty is up to 1-year of imprisonment and a $1000 fine.

- DC's punitive laws for possession of any caliber of ammunition for which you do not have a registered weapon in DC that uses the corresponding caliber.

- DC's strict magazine capacity laws. Under loading a mag to meet capacity restrictions is forbidden. The mere possession of an over capacity magazine is illegal (unless your name is David Gregory).

So, what does that mean? If you're a non-DC resident, feel free to bring your weapon into the district and carry - but it has to be unloaded and without a magazine that violates the capacity law.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 28, 2014, 09:14 AM

They make just the possession of ammunition illegal if you don't have a matching registered weapon? That seriously blows my mind. You don't even need an ID to buy ammo almost anywhere in the country.

Yet another end run around the constitution. Crazy...

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#11)
GDMFSOB

July 28, 2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
They make just the possession of ammunition illegal if you don't have a matching registered weapon? That seriously blows my mind. You don't even need an ID to buy ammo almost anywhere in the country.

Yeah it's like the pot thing. You can have it but you can't smoke it.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 28, 2014, 10:29 AM

damn.....i think i have some spent casing from the 80s i need to finally dump...shit.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

July 28, 2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post

Yes. Even a spent casing is illegal. There have been two notable cases in DC, one where a military member turning in his DD214 paperwork had visited a range the day before and a few empty 9mm shells ejected and flung into his sack. The shells triggered the metal detector and he was arrested.

The second involved a lawyer who lived in NW DC. Police were called to his home for something or other, and while there noticed an empty and spent 12 Gauge husk on his desk. It was something he kept as memento from a hunt he went on 10+ years earlier. He was arrested for possession of illegal ammunition.

Unread
  (#14)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 28, 2014, 01:05 PM

Whole article here. Anti-gun D.C. officials will move fast to stay landmark CCW ruling - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

UPDATE: Examiner has obtained a copy of Lanier's memorandum to District police officers, which states, "Residents of the District in possession of an unregistered firearm may be charged with Unregistered Firearm and, if applicable, Unregistered Ammunition if they do not also reside in a jurisdiction where they could legally possess the firearm. At this time, individuals who do not live in the District shall not be charged with either unregistered firearm or unregistered ammunition, but other charges may apply."
She spelled out three scenarios dealing with stopping a man on the street carrying a firearm:
  • The man says he is a resident of the District, but the gun is unregistered. You should charge him with Unregistered Firearm.
  • "The man lives in Vermont, which does not require a license or permit for either open or concealed carry of a handgun. You run his name, and no criminal record is apparent. You should record any relevant information for potential further investigation, and he is free to leave."
  • "The man lives in Virginia, where no license or permit is required to openly carry a handgun. However, when you run his name, records indicate that he is a convicted felon. Under District and federal law, felons may not legally possess a firearm. You should arrest him for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm."

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

July 28, 2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Whole article here. Anti-gun D.C. officials will move fast to stay landmark CCW ruling - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

UPDATE: Examiner has obtained a copy of Lanier's memorandum to District police officers, which states, "Residents of the District in possession of an unregistered firearm may be charged with Unregistered Firearm and, if applicable, Unregistered Ammunition if they do not also reside in a jurisdiction where they could legally possess the firearm. At this time, individuals who do not live in the District shall not be charged with either unregistered firearm or unregistered ammunition, but other charges may apply."
She spelled out three scenarios dealing with stopping a man on the street carrying a firearm:
  • The man says he is a resident of the District, but the gun is unregistered. You should charge him with Unregistered Firearm.
  • "The man lives in Vermont, which does not require a license or permit for either open or concealed carry of a handgun. You run his name, and no criminal record is apparent. You should record any relevant information for potential further investigation, and he is free to leave."
  • "The man lives in Virginia, where no license or permit is required to openly carry a handgun. However, when you run his name, records indicate that he is a convicted felon. Under District and federal law, felons may not legally possess a firearm. You should arrest him for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm."
She didn't touch the magazine capacity law though. Left that trap door wide open for people to fall into. The law, as its written, makes no distinction for resident or non-resident. Handgun mags that can hold more than 10 cartridges are banned outright.

Last edited by Heist; July 28, 2014 at 01:14 PM..