DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
5 members and 561 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Slider, tonetone, TonUp
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Kayaking!
Unread
  (#1)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

Kayaking! - April 12, 2012, 05:56 PM

I know it gets expensive, but i was wondering how hard is it to get into? just buy one and go and try? or should i take a class or something? just seemed like a fun thing to do this summer since the water is only a few minutes up the street?

And what kind of gear should I go with?

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

April 12, 2012, 05:58 PM

i have a 14ft kayak that i use for recreational fun.. nothing extreme..

if i dont feel like hauling it i got to fountain head and they rent them for like 7 bucks an hour or something like that..

what kind of kayaking are you trying to do?

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 12, 2012, 06:01 PM

Nothing spectacular...for now...just tooling around in the bay...and to take to jersey with me in the summers maybe to tool around (Family has a house on the water) But more or less something else to do for cardio to break up the the daily grind.

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#4)
Mojito Anyone?

April 12, 2012, 06:04 PM

you can get a decent one at dicks or some other sports store for less than 400 bucks.. you may even find one a lot cheaper on craigslist or ebay..

its not difficult to get into... pretty simple water sport.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#5)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 12, 2012, 06:06 PM

Cool so basically rowing, i seen the nuts who go down the rapids and stuff... not saying ill tip upside down in the water, but correcting it? is that fairly simple to learn?

other than that i Think id be ok!

Unread
  (#6)
I use my turn signal

April 12, 2012, 06:08 PM

I go on a big kayak trip about once a year with family and friends (all guys). We drop a car off at where we will be ending the trip, drop a car off at the halfway point with our tents, supplies, and food in it to stay overnight. Then drive up and start the trip. Last time we did it up at the New river gorge. It's always a blast. I know we go through a lot of class 3 rapids and I think I've done one class 4 rapid ever.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#7)
I use my turn signal

April 12, 2012, 06:09 PM

I wear a protec helmet from back when I used to skateboard and a wetsuit depending on what time of year we go. Some strap on nerdy tiva sandals as well.

edit: Forgot to add I've never had any training or done any classes or anything. We used to do canoing trips similar with smaller rapids obviously and just decided to step it up. One time we went through some class 3 rapids in a canoe successfully, it was awesome.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#8)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

April 13, 2012, 12:10 AM

Im just starting to get into down here in TN. Gonna take some kayaking/rolling classes the school offers here. Then im gonna hit up the Ocooee river, where the 96 olympics were held...
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

April 13, 2012, 06:47 AM

I've been wanting to get into this for a LONG time too. But it definitely is a bit of an expensive sport since you either have to own your own kayak or pay a lot for one of those outfits that rent them. Plus I'm more interested in the rapids level kayaks than just meandering around on flat waters.