DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 579
3 members and 576 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Kodak action cam PIXPRO SP360 360 degree HD
Unread
  (#1)
Eddie would go ...

Kodak action cam PIXPRO SP360 360 degree HD - October 31, 2014, 09:13 AM

More competition = better

Kodak's new action cam offers 360-degree views of your stunts

Kodak has already thrown its hat into the action cam fray, but its new gadget offers a much wider view of the goings-on. The company's PIXPRO SP360 effort captures footage with 360-degree views in full HD (1080p), which it says is capable of creating "fully immersive images" without having to employ a fleet of cameras. With a dome-shaped fixed lens up top, the diminutive device records the aforementioned video at 30 fps with a 16-megapixel MO sensor, while offering Front (212 degrees), Split (180-degree front and rear views at the same time), Dome (214 degrees) and Sphere (360 degrees) modes for alternative vantage points.

Kodak has already thrown its hat into the action cam fray, but its new gadget offers a much wider view of the goings-on. The company's PIXPRO SP360 effort captures footage with 360-degree views in full HD (1080p), which it says is capable of creating "fully immersive images" without having to employ a fleet of cameras. With a dome-shaped fixed lens up top, the diminutive device records the aforementioned video at 30 fps with a 16-megapixel MO sensor, while offering Front (212 degrees), Split (180-degree front and rear views at the same time), Dome (214 degrees) and Sphere (360 degrees) modes for alternative vantage points.

As you might expect, the unit packs WiFi connectivity for syncing up with a mobile device of computer for remote viewing and controls from up to 65 feet away. In addition to being splashproof, freezeproof, shockproof and dustproof, the SP360 features a motion sensor that can automatically start recording when it picks up movement. And it can snap 10-megapixel stills of all the action, too. Pricing starts at $349, but if you're looking to pick up the kit that includes a waterproof case and both bar and adhesive mounts, you'll need to fork over an additional $50.

360° Skydiving - YouTube

Kodak's new action cam offers 360-degree views of your stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

October 31, 2014, 10:57 AM

Hmmmm, first Polaroid. Now Kodak.
Seems like the old names of the camera and film business are trying to claw their way back after getting caught with their pants down on the transition to digital.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a llama again!

October 31, 2014, 11:05 AM

Jeebuss just watching that video for 30 seconds gave me a headaches and motion sickness.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 31, 2014, 12:54 PM

The "eyed" appearance was too much for me. I'd rather it capture four 1080p feeds and display them at the same time on a 4k screen.
Unread
  (#5)
SIN MC President

October 31, 2014, 01:18 PM

180 is plenty for me... anything more and it gets disorienting

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#6)
turn or crash....

October 31, 2014, 01:22 PM

I see limited need for 360 degree view. And then on top of that I think it's something that would take alot of time to edit a video with standard video and then cutting in the 360 where appropriate. For most action cam users the workflow is this:
1.) capture
2.) trim to just highlight style reel
3.) add music
4.) publish

Me I just typically do #1 then #4 so I'd never use a 360 camera.
Again cool concept, but I think 3D would be more likely to find a home than 360 view..

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#7)
turn or crash....

October 31, 2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Jeebuss just watching that video for 30 seconds gave me a headaches and motion sickness.
yeah you could definitely put a hurting on someone who gets vertigo easily with that...

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#8)
All weather rider

October 31, 2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Seems like the old names of the camera and film business are trying to claw their way back after getting caught with their pants down on the transition to digital.
I agree, but at least Kodak is trying, and had some success with its Easyshare line before the low-end digital camera market became ruthlessly comptetive.
Polaroid's stunted growth goes back 40 years. What kept them alive in the 80s was that they had a patent lock on instant photography. When they went belly up over a decade ago, the CEOs paid themselves, then bilked everyone else. The new company has no relation to the old except that they are trying to cash in on nostalgia, selling old Land Camera reproductions and retro T-shirts. It's beyond pathetic.
Unread
  (#9)
Eddie would go ...

October 31, 2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
They did have some ventures into the arena already. This form factor is much better though

Their PixPro SP1 has been out for a while and was well reviewed at the launch price of $199

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

November 3, 2014, 10:08 AM

The SP1 is more of a still camera than video. It can only capture at 10fps.