DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 502
5 members and 497 guests
davidcycle, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Laptop With D.C. Workers' Data Stolen
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Laptop With D.C. Workers' Data Stolen - June 18, 2006, 02:26 AM

Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:32 AM EDT
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) A laptop containing the Social Security numbers and other personal data of 13,000 District of Columbia employees and retirees has been stolen, officials said.
The computer was stolen Monday from the Washington home of an employee of ING U.S. Financial Services, said officials with the company, which administers the district's retirement plan.
The company did not notify city employees of the theft until late Friday because it took officials several days to determine what information was stored on the laptop, ING spokeswoman Caroline Campbell said.
The laptop was not password-protected and the data was not encrypted, Campbell said.
The company said it was working with district police and had hired a private investigator. Police would not confirm the theft Saturday.
City officials said they were disturbed about how the data was stored and that the company waited to report the theft.
"We are concerned that this information was being managed without protection," said Mary Ann Young, spokeswoman for the city's chief financial officer.
She said the district expects details about the incident from ING this week.
The company has sent letters to all affected employees warning them of the possibility of identity theft. ING also will set up and pay for a year of credit monitoring and identity fraud protection, Campbell said.
"For us, this is very unfortunate," she said. "But we're moving forward, we're very focused and committed to find any other laptops that don't have encryption software and to fix that. This incident revealed a gap."
Two other ING laptops containing information on 8,500 Florida hospital workers were stolen in December, but the employees were not notified until this week, said ING spokesman Chuck Eudy. Neither laptop was encrypted, he said.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
DT
Yesssssss.....

June 18, 2006, 04:48 AM

Hooray for government security.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#3)
This Ain't My First Time!

June 18, 2006, 07:21 AM

Stuff happens, but damn you wait until now to tell people that their PERSONAL information was stolen on a laptop computer in December. The company needs to be more responsible for their actions.

Damn!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Face Down @$$ UP

June 18, 2006, 07:49 AM

DoD, and now DC govt. That is just alittle to scary to know that, either one of these major govt's, can not handle their employees or security very well.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#5)
Emm Teh

June 18, 2006, 08:00 AM

ING is a financial company, not the government. They were handeling the financial aspect of these govnt. employee's retirement plan.

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#6)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 18, 2006, 09:18 AM

I do not understand why you would ever need all that data on a labtop. In fact people's personal information should never be on a labtop it is to risky weather encrypted or not. I just got the letter from the VA saying your information along with two million others might have been stolen and it was the same type of scenario. Idiots....
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to WiLdNess  
Unread
  (#7)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 18, 2006, 09:25 AM

I had to reply to this one since I work with the federal government (not for but with)... first of all... who in the business world has a computer that is NOT password protected? I can believe that the data was not encrypted... generally we do not do that in the commerical world, the federal government does it all the time though. Unfortunately, many government contractors are the ones who actually have copies of sensitive information on their company issued computers.

FYI- for those of you who do not know, the social security numbers and other personal information, of veterans who retired I believe before 1975 was stolen a few weeks ago. This was a complete set-up as the person brought their computer home from work one night to work on some things, with the CD that had all of this data on it. It just HAPPENED to be stolen that night. Someone knew the guy had that CD at home that night, sad to say.

However, for Active members of our armed forces, and retirees, this is nothing new. I know someone who is in the Airforce reserves. His (along with his wife's) personal information has been stolen 4 times this year alone. I hate to tell everyone... but the federal government is NOT up to date on information security measures like the commercial world. But after reading this article, I am not sure the commercial world is up to date either.

"If you ain't FIRST, you're LAST."
"Women who behave rarely made history."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BlondeCaptain  
Unread
  (#8)
BE ENCOURAGED!

June 18, 2006, 09:30 AM

But yet everybody just LOVES to file their taxes on line because it is so secure. The wife and I have this arguement every year when I refuse to let her do it. The IRS swears it is a secure method. Uh Huh.

Not gonna convince me...Nope sure aren't. Of course, not that the U.S. Postal Service is any safer.........

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#9)

June 18, 2006, 10:09 AM

Tell your wife that one of those tax filling sites this past tax season I believe, or maybe the year before, was hacked into. However, my theory is if someone REALLY wants my SS#, they will get it because it is on a million different things... crazy...

"If you ain't FIRST, you're LAST."
"Women who behave rarely made history."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BlondeCaptain  
Unread
  (#10)

June 18, 2006, 11:02 AM

According to a column in the Post 85 million people have had their personnel information exposed from security breaches in the last 15 months. It's pretty much out of control. Too many different parties have our information. A good start to protecting the data will be to stop putting it on laptops.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Forklift+snowbank=stuck

June 18, 2006, 11:14 AM

Shit like this really makes me think about takin the ol .308 and livin out in the woods in a little una bomber shack. Without the terrozim of course.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to billetbong