DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
1 members and 549 guests
cicirich
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Laptop opinions
Unread
  (#1)
Nothing here

Laptop opinions - April 6, 2007, 07:33 AM

I'm sure it's been asked before and yes I could do a ton of research on the interweb, but you are experts on everything right? A few of you even have opinions I'm sure.

So here's my question. Which is best? I have started looking at the Macbooks, but I'm not sure if I want to switch to Apple. I've never used one before. Anyway, I will use it primarily for entertainment (gaming, Internet, music, photos, etc.), but it must be able to double as a work machine too.

So, in your opinion, what is the best laptop out there for me to buy? Price range $1,500-$3,000.

Thanks gurus.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

April 6, 2007, 07:37 AM

If I were you I'd buy apple. You can run a full, strait up XP or Vista instance via Parallels if you MUST do something on a windows based machine. NOT having 95% of the viruses out there even be able to effect my machine was enough for me.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Whoa, Momma!

April 6, 2007, 07:41 AM

If you're more interested "internet, music, photos", then I would go with a Mac. I don't own one myself, but that's only cause I refuse to buy another laptop when I have 3 others laying around the house.

If you're interested in gaming, I'd go with a high-end Dell or something like that. I guess it depends what kind of gaming... some popular games like WoW have been ported to the Mac. Either way, there isn't the same level of variety for Macs when it comes to game.

So yeah, for general use, go with a Mac. They are a bit more expensive... but they are tight little machines.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to lucrecci  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

April 6, 2007, 07:43 AM

I use a mac dual core for gaming, it pwns....

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#5)
Mooo

April 6, 2007, 07:48 AM

Yes, If I were you I'd get a mac. No matter what you wanna do: programming, gaming, downloading pr0n, typing up school papers, etc.. It all can be done in the Mac. If you're a *nix user you'll find lots of familiar tools and environment in MacOSX and if you're a windows user the same also counts, esp. with parallels. And yeah if you ever wanna go straight Linux most distros have a powerPC port. Not counting the fact that the look of Macs give me a stiffy.

Can't beat it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Quake4Ialdaris1  
Unread
  (#6)
Nothing here

April 6, 2007, 07:49 AM

Yeah, the more I listen to people, the more I hear "GET MAC!" The reduced virus risk is also a huge factor for me. Thanks!

Oh, does anyone know about the buzz for Mac's and a LED backlight supposedly coming out soon? I may want to wait for that if it's true since it would most likely expand battery life.
Unread
  (#7)
Owner of the Site Owner

April 6, 2007, 07:58 AM

MBP for life

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

April 6, 2007, 08:07 AM

Mac book pro rheprazent!!!!

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#9)
Ling Long

April 6, 2007, 08:09 AM

I'd buy an ibook, but I would also wait until June when the new ones come out and the current line drops in price.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

April 6, 2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
MBP for life
+1

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#11)
Nothing here

April 6, 2007, 08:28 AM

Okay, I have been sold on the Macbooks. I think this is my last question then. Yao, you mentioned that I should wait for the new OS to come out, mainly for the cost drop. I am in a position where I NEED to get a new one since mine has taken a huge dump. So do the Apple products become outdated as quickly as the standard machines? In other words, should I buy heavy on the options now to slow the realization of outdated equipment?

Sorry, I'm an idiot with this kind of stuff. I'm a consumer more than a techie.
Unread
  (#12)
When in Rome...

April 6, 2007, 08:31 AM

I made the switch to a mac pro tower and couldn't be happier (though a little disappointed that they rolled out the 8-core machine this week and I no longer have the hottest shit on the block). I would go for the mac unless you're a big gamer, but you wouldn't be buying a laptop if you needed serious gaming power anyways, so buy the mac. I run parallels and it's faster than my old pc.

checkout http://osx.iusethis.com/ if you want to see some of the cool free stuff you can put on there. love the mac.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

www.howtoavoidthebummerlife.com
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

April 6, 2007, 08:33 AM

Max out the machine. All computers see significant devaluation because of the rate of improvement the tech scene is continuing to realize. I bought a refurbished machine for that EXACT reason... why buy new? All the options and tech coverage I would need are still availible for refurbished machines. I maxed the ram out and went from there. I bought a 15 macbook pro.

I wouldn't be too concerned over waiting for the next OS release.. there will be few significant changes to utility on the machine. Oh and here...

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#14)
Owner of the Site Owner

April 6, 2007, 08:36 AM

do not max out the machine - buy the ram seperately... it does not void the warranty.

goto the apple store and play with it - ask questions and tips. use your student discount, do not even hesitate to buy refurbished - they offer teh same warranty as new ones.

but buy the ram seperately you will save a butt load of money and it is easy to install

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

April 6, 2007, 08:40 AM

I maxed out my machine by buying the ram on ebay.... MAX OUT THE MACHINE... just not via apple. You cannot modify the options on refurb machines cause they are already built and cannot be customized.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nclm=Certified - Refurbs

Cool thing about Windows in parallels, when you pron surfing corrupts the windows instance, you just delete it and start a new one

SV650s for SALE!!!