DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
2 members and 528 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 15, 2005, 11:17 AM

I'm thinking about getting laser eye surgery very soon. Could you share your experience if you had it done or anyone you know had it done. I'm far-sighted so I havent heard too many stories about those groups of peeps.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to RichieRichR6  
Unread
  (#2)
Go slow to go fast...

August 15, 2005, 11:24 AM

Hey Rich I had laser surgery in 2000, and let me tell it was the best thing I ever did!!! I was far-sited with a slight astigmatism and now my vision is perfect. I had no side effects and was riding the a after surgery. The procedure is painless well except for the bill but well worth the money.

Tony
1-12-2010
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRonin  
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 15, 2005, 11:26 AM

Same here, i'm thinking about getting it done, but kinda afriad that some after effect gonna hit me.
Well, here are some after effect I gather from some of the people had be done.

1. can't drive at night with all the street light and head light.
2. always have to go back for check up and maintain.
***3. 75% of the people I know personally had them done and they are very happy with them.

so beside the 1st and 2nd, I guess you need to choose wisely on what doctor you want to go with and read his/her feedback carefully before making your decision. Let me know the cost and stuffs, I wanna have it done too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to 04Gixxer600 Send a message via AIM to 04Gixxer600  
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

August 15, 2005, 11:31 AM

100% recommend it. I had it done a year ago and have had no side effects. I started with 20/400 vision and now I have 20/12 vision. 1 up from the best you can have. Also everything Tony said painless minus a little irritation after the surgery. Go for it it's wonderful

Chad

If I am passing you on the right you are in the wrong fucking lane.

http://cyclemax.net/images/NewVehicl...ayagsx1300.jpg http://www.motorrad.aberendt.net/suz..._1300_logo.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to pickle4123 Send a message via AIM to pickle4123  
Unread
  (#5)
I wish you would...

August 15, 2005, 11:55 AM

I've been looking at it too Rich. Mabey we could get a group buy going on some surgery!

2003 Honda 600rr
2004 Honda F4i - Dead
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to peterjmc  
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

August 15, 2005, 12:07 PM

Search through past posts for some more good info. I agree with all, that LASIK is the shhhzzzz. I have not had any problems jumping out of planes at 10,000 feet or diving past 33 meters. The only thing is the first procedure might not correct your vision all the way or your eyes do not take to the procedure and you would have a follow-up, it is like a 1% chance.

Gary D.
04 600 F4i

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Stitch32  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 15, 2005, 12:40 PM

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/cost.htm

I just got contacts. So we'll see how they work for awhile. There is no going back to glasses though, that's for sure.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#8)
I miss you Jeff

August 15, 2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjmc
I've been looking at it too Rich. Mabey we could get a group buy going on some surgery!
+50000000

~Jennifer~

LaoTzu: "Life is like a box of chocolates, you take a bite out of one and throw it back in the box if it sucks."

Rossi: "You are the SCHMOOPIFIER!"

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/coppermi...SpicyTWAT1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cajen  
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 15, 2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonin
Hey Rich I had laser surgery in 2000, and let me tell it was the best thing I ever did!!! I was far-sited with a slight astigmatism and now my vision is perfect. I had no side effects and was riding the a after surgery. The procedure is painless well except for the bill but well worth the money.
Nice Tony! Good to know someone who was far-sited that got the surgery. I feel better.
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 15, 2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjmc
I've been looking at it too Rich. Maybe we could get a group buy going on some surgery!

Peter, thats funny!! Group buy suggestion : Laser Eye Surgery LOL
Unread
  (#11)
Republicans for Voldemort

August 15, 2005, 05:10 PM

I had Lasiks done last Nov the day after turkey day.......

I love it... However, there are some things to know 1st .... Here is what I remember... There are two types of Lasik - the standard that's been done for the past couple of years - this is where they take a snapshot of you eye and correct your vision from the center and work their way to the edge... Or there is the wavefront, where they map out you entire eye and fix each each spot specific to your eye.... It's the basic difference when you power commander your bike for a new exhaust - you can use a standard map for your bike and pipe - or you can have a custom one done speficially for your bike.... I got the more expensive wavefront done and it's the only thing I can comment on going forward.here....

1st off - while some folks can see ok after their lasik - to me - everything was both blurry and smokey for bout 48 hours .. After the 1st 24hrs the smoke effect was gone - but for the next 24 hrs it was like having your eyes dilated, kind of creepy and disorientating - but, I had no plans for a few days afterwards - so this was not big deal

2nd. Go buy a bunch of cheap sunglasses - and put a set in your car - office - etc... if your like me.. You have been waiting to do this for years... You will have some light sensitivity for a few days - but there is a difference with light sensitivity w/o glasses - even regular glasses cut some UV - mine were slightly tinted - you won't know the difference till you don't have your glasses...

3rd.. Get replacement eye drops... For all intensive purposes - the laser cauterizes some of your tear ducts and you eyes won't tear as much as they used to for a couple of months... Dry eyes suck!!! I put a bunch of drops with the spare pair of sunglasses...

4th.. Yes there is some halo effect at night - if you stare at head lights and street lights - you will see a bit of a halo.... I checked this out with my glasses right before I got my surgery... After 8 months - I have a tiny bit of halo - but my glasses caused more of a halo... And to be honest.. I can see far better in the dark now than I ever could with glasses.... and you shouldn't look directly into the lights in the dark anyway...

5th.. Yea you have to go about 3 times the first year for checkups - and once a year after that - but you should get you eyes checked once a year anyway.... It's why work has sick leave - you can use it to go to the dr...

6th.. I went from being a nearsighted astigmatic - to now having 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 (better) in the other... As that glasses regulated both eyes to be the same.. It takes a little getting used to having one eye better than the other......

That said, would I got thru it again... AbsoFukinglootley... Everything is much clearer and can you say peripheral vision!!!! Plus, no more scrambling for glasses in the AM - being able to see in places like the shower - and swiming... Not to mentioning NO more glasses inside your helmet (however, I do wind up putting sunglasses on inside - as I don't bring a tinted shield). I never had a problem wearing glasses - but I am glad I got the lifetime - so I can have em tweaked when I get older - as I really don't want to go back to em (hopefully the wavefront will preclude this, but we shall see)... Honestly, its one of the best things I ever did... Good luck...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

August 15, 2005, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
4th.. Yes there is some halo effect at night - if you stare at head lights and street lights - you will see a bit of a halo.... I checked this out with my glasses right before I got my surgery... After 8 months - I have a tiny bit of halo - but my glasses caused more of a halo... And to be honest.. I can see far better in the dark now than I ever could with glasses.... and you shouldn't look directly into the lights in the dark anyway...
+1. Pay the extra and get the wavefront. My Doc said that as the first year goes on, the halo effect lessens.

If I were you and you're not in a terrible rush, I'd put the $$$ in a flex spending account at the end of this year for next year. TAX FREE BABY! That's what I did. More money uncle sam don't get to play with.

I'm not psychic. People are just predictable.

Corn. Enjoy it for a second time.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gervasio