DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 219
3 members and 216 guests
Heist, MrDan, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Laser eye surgery and astigmatism?
Unread
  (#1)
FASTER

Laser eye surgery and astigmatism? - January 8, 2008, 02:23 PM

I have had an astigmatism for years. A while back not many laser eye surgery places would do it if you had an astigmatism. That made me nervous so decided to wait. Contacts drive me nuts cause they move around on my eye ball everytime I blink. I know that they have contacts special for astigmatism but honestly I would rather just get the surgery. Has anyone that has an astigmatism had the surgery? How did it go? Would you recommend it? How much? Where did you go?

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#2)
Pleased to meet me

January 8, 2008, 02:29 PM

That song by Ministry called Stigmata rules the Earth!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAZANkOCPXk
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here

January 8, 2008, 02:43 PM

I had that and still got the surgery. Best results my doctor had ever seen (no pun intended). Ended up with 20/10 consistent vision (Two degrees better than 20/20). Lasik Plus was where I went more than 7 years ago and still have 20/10. $2,500 with lifetime accuity plan, but worth $10,000,000,000.95.
Unread
  (#4)
MD in a VA biased board

January 8, 2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
I had that and still got the surgery. Best results my doctor had ever seen (no pun intended). Ended up with 20/10 consistent vision (Two degrees better than 20/20). Lasik Plus was where I went more than 7 years ago and still have 20/10. $2,500 with lifetime accuity plan, but worth $10,000,000,000.95.
$2,500?? thats a pretty good price.

Blue '05 SV650S
Quote:
Newfoundland is like calling a place Untitled Document.
i bet its the default name for discovered land
and they just clicked Ok
now all other countries have to start out as Newfoundland 2
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

January 8, 2008, 02:52 PM

They had a special going at the time. Two for one, which actually made me nervous. The concept of surgery being on 50% sale was a little difficult to accept.
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

January 8, 2008, 04:25 PM

I had it done. I also had a astigmatism. On top of that I was almost blind. My classes were like coke bottles. Couldn't read the news paper if it was 2 inches in front of my face. Couldn't wear contacts because of my astigmatism and because of alergic reactions in my eyes. the surgery cost me $3k worth every penny. Best thing i ever did in my life. I now have 20/15 vision.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
Track Ho

January 8, 2008, 04:28 PM

I will go in on a two for one deal with you if you can find one I already have been approved to do it

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#8)
Semper Fi

January 8, 2008, 04:28 PM

I had it done when i was 18. Right after boot camp. Now i'm 21 and they are still the same. I think i saw like negative 400 or some crazy crap. I was blind as hell. I see 20/15 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye. hasn't changed a bit
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lyman2134  
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner

January 8, 2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
I will go in on a two for one deal with you if you can find one I already have been approved to do it
I think he means two eyes for the price of one.

But four eyes for the price of two could work too.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#10)
Republicans for Voldemort

January 8, 2008, 10:02 PM

btdt... had it done 3 year ago.. i had the wavefront which maps out your whole eye by sectors - which is supposed to be better for the astigmatism. It takes longer and is more expensive - spent 2700 plus 800 for lifetime warantee... Was 20/20 and 20/15 - but had issue with my drivers test in one eye, but in addition to the astigmatism I was also nearsighted. Depending upon your age there is a more than average chance your eyes will still change is small increments .. I would reccomend the lifetime warantee from a place that will last and espect to wear reading glasses at some point - unless you keep getting updates...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#11)
God Made Me Wrong

January 8, 2008, 10:43 PM

Nubbs, Madali, Jeeper & anyone who has had it done...did you get both eyes done at once or one eye at a time?

I'm really looking into getting this done...just had my eyes checked earlier today and found that my eyes haven't changed from -7.25 since my last doc visit in May of 06. Yay for stabilization.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#12)
Give me the Ban Button!

January 8, 2008, 10:59 PM

Had them both done at the same time. Left work at lunch time on a wendsday had the surgery at 2pm. Both eyes at once. you have to have somebody drive you home. Went to bed and was back at work at 6am the next morning.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#13)
Banned!

January 8, 2008, 11:08 PM

adam go for it man...with the condition glass/contacts are a hard road to travel.

some insurances cover parts of it.
Unread
  (#14)
Like a clown car on fire

January 8, 2008, 11:24 PM

I had this done twice on each eye, 1st time in late '02, the 2nd time about a year or 2 later. My prescription was really high.... Like -9.5 in one eye, -10 in the other (around 20/1000). At 1st they wouldn't do the surgery because I was just above the limit of what they would do, but about 6 months later one of the doctors tried using a "newer" method on me, for people with high prescriptions. They told me ahead of time I would require 2 treatmets per eye, because it was so severe, the eyes would revert back a bit.

At 1st I got one eye done at a time, the 2nd one was both eyes at once. after the 1st I had 20/15 vision which slowly reverted to about 20/40 or so, to the point where I'd sometimes wear glasses, but not full time. I got it done again, and last time my vision was checked, i was 20/20, but I feel like it may be slipping a bit again... not enough that I need glasses or anything.

overall, I'd recommend it to anyone, one of the best things I've done, and my recovery was a bit more difficult than typical lasik (1 week vs 1 night). I had no astigmatism, so no comment there, but I used Lasik Plus, with the lifetime guarantee, I got my moneys worth!

Personally, i'd stay away from TLC, when I was looking to do the 1st surgery, they said it was no problem, just sign this release and pay this much, whereas every other place was skeptical my corneas were thick enough so they didn't want to try it just yet. TLC never even mentioned it was a risk or concern, even though they were using same lasers and techniques, so i dont trust them.

Bexxx, if you're doing the basic, typical lasik, go ahead and do both eyes at once, like Nubbs said, you'll only have fuzzy vision for a night (maybe half of the next day since your prescription is on the higher end).

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#15)
Give me the Ban Button!

January 8, 2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack
I had this done twice on each eye, 1st time in late '02, the 2nd time about a year or 2 later. My prescription was really high.... Like -9.5 in one eye, -10 in the other (around 20/1000). At 1st they wouldn't do the surgery because I was just above the limit of what they would do, but about 6 months later one of the doctors tried using a "newer" method on me, for people with high prescriptions. They told me ahead of time I would require 2 treatmets per eye, because it was so severe, the eyes would revert back a bit.

At 1st I got one eye done at a time, the 2nd one was both eyes at once. after the 1st I had 20/15 vision which slowly reverted to about 20/40 or so, to the point where I'd sometimes wear glasses, but not full time. I got it done again, and last time my vision was checked, i was 20/20, but I feel like it may be slipping a bit again... not enough that I need glasses or anything.

overall, I'd recommend it to anyone, one of the best things I've done, and my recovery was a bit more difficult than typical lasik (1 week vs 1 night). I had no astigmatism, so no comment there, but I used Lasik Plus, with the lifetime guarantee, I got my moneys worth!

Personally, i'd stay away from TLC, when I was looking to do the 1st surgery, they said it was no problem, just sign this release and pay this much, whereas every other place was skeptical my corneas were thick enough so they didn't want to try it just yet. TLC never even mentioned it was a risk or concern, even though they were using same lasers and techniques, so i dont trust them.

Bexxx, if you're doing the basic, typical lasik, go ahead and do both eyes at once, like Nubbs said, you'll only have fuzzy vision for a night (maybe half of the next day since your prescription is on the higher end).
Great info!!! I would give you green if a could.

One of the side effects that I had was some trouble with lights at night for the first 3 months. The first month after the surgery I wore sunglasses at night because of it. Not dark sunglasses but real light tinted glasses.