DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
5 members and 530 guests
Gots_a_sol, gsgs, Heist, KirkRoy, t84a
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Leaf Blowers: Gas vs. Battery pack. What you have and is good?
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Leaf Blowers: Gas vs. Battery pack. What you have and is good? - November 12, 2017, 12:09 PM

Anyone have a great leaf blower that you think is the bomb?
My Gf has corded and a battery operated one, and looking for more power... I want one also. I wanted gas, but did not want a carb pack.

This review was pretty good but wanted to see what you guys are using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bswCWVuvzJs

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation

November 12, 2017, 12:25 PM

I've had both a Stihl BR550 and BR600. Bought both since I didn't know which one I was gonna end up liking more. Ended up selling the 600 and kept the 550. Starts up on the first pull every time and plenty of power for my just under 1/2 acre with a ton of trees.

Every reputable landscaping company I've talked to recommend the Stihl. Sometimes you'll see Echo but stay away from the Home Depot models, they tend to be a cheaper line than the commercial stuff and I've heard are hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 12, 2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
I've had both a Stihl BR550 and BR600. Bought both since I didn't know which one I was gonna end up liking more. Ended up selling the 600 and kept the 550. Starts up on the first pull every time and plenty of power for my just under 1/2 acre with a ton of trees.

Every reputable landscaping company I've talked to recommend the Stihl. Sometimes you'll see Echo but stay away from the Home Depot models, they tend to be a cheaper line than the commercial stuff and I've heard are hit or miss.
2 stroke?
do you have to do anything special to keep it running? end of season do you store it or just set and forget until needed?

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#4)
no one's blowing up moons

November 12, 2017, 01:21 PM

I don't have one but I used to work in landscaping. The gas was better. More power and we carried extra gas, fill and go. No one wanted to be left at a property with the electric. We always ended up having to 'rake and haul'. Even if you could charge at the property on the client's dime you'd have to wait for it and by the time it was charged again we'd be done.

That said, unless you've got a line on e-free gas it's going to get harder and harder to find what you'll need. Batteries have gotten better and a lot of manufactures are getting 'the system' idea. If you can settle on a tool supplier you can use the same battery/charger for a lot of different tools/purposes.

Stihl makes pretty good stuff.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#5)
On vacation

November 12, 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
2 stroke?
do you have to do anything special to keep it running? end of season do you store it or just set and forget until needed?
Yep, 2T. I just throw in some Stabil 360 Marine to every gas tank and forget it. She started right up this fall after sitting for about 9 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

November 12, 2017, 04:16 PM

I've had the Stihl BR420C Magnum for about 5 years or so. Always starts after sitting all summer. I think the 550 & 600 are newer models. Don't know if the even make the BR420C anymore.

The 420C does good. Like any leaf blower if you wait till all the leaves are off the trees you're just about as well off raking and dragging them out on a tarp because the piles get huge quick.

Best leaf blowers for clearing large areas are the wheeled ones. But they aren't very handy when working around structures.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Leaf Blowers: Gas vs. Battery pack. What you have and is good?
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

Leaf Blowers: Gas vs. Battery pack. What you have and is good? - November 12, 2017, 05:57 PM

Stihl here as well, I use stabil and never have issues.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#8)
Chasing the dragon

November 12, 2017, 06:29 PM

I have had a Husky for 3 years now. Whatever their $300 Lowes model is (too cold to go look). I live out in the boonies and literally blow leaves every other day during this time of the year, along with MTB trail work. It works well and hasn't given me any problems.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#9)
Racing my bikes

November 12, 2017, 10:44 PM

I got one of the strongest blowers out there Redmax EBZ8500.It is so strong I can even use it to blow snow.No need for a shovel.I tried many different ones but there not as powerfull as this. I made a video blowing snow.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfNxTm27jHA

Winner of over 50 CCS Regional Championships,
Winner of 7 National Championships
CCS overall top 10 plate holder since 2006
2005 Ducati 1000SS
2000 Aprilia RSV 1000
1999 Suzuki SV 650
1995 Yamaha Verago 750
1992 Yamaha PW50
1988 Yamaha FZR 400
1987 Kawasaki EX500

Last edited by Apriliaman; November 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 12, 2017, 10:56 PM

I've been using the ego 575cfm battery powered blower (also own the trimmer, mower, and snow blower). Lots of power, very happy with it, and zero maintenance.

Best part of this line up is that most of my purchases came with batteries, so I have a good amount of 5ah batteries (one 5ah can handle my front and rear lawn along with enough for the blower to clear up any clippings).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-142-...5754/300374954

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; November 12, 2017 at 11:04 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 13, 2017, 03:45 AM

id use it mostly for pine needles and deck clearing.
maybe about 1/4th an acre.
Stihl is catching my interest.....

Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 13, 2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
id use it mostly for pine needles and deck clearing.
maybe about 1/4th an acre.
Stihl is catching my interest.....
If this is for the lake property, wouldn't electric make more sense if it's going to be sitting for periods at a time?

Gas powered blowers are certainly more powerful but needles/deck clearing is a job for almost any grade blower.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 13, 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
If this is for the lake property, wouldn't electric make more sense if it's going to be sitting for periods at a time?

Gas powered blowers are certainly more powerful but needles/deck clearing is a job for almost any grade blower.
Yeah down in the boonies.
My GF just brought one the other day and used at her house. The biggest problem is the battery life. along with the cost of the batteries.

Unread
  (#14)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 13, 2017, 12:59 PM

For small jobs, I use a corded blower. It's obviously not the most convenient as I have to get out the extension cord, but they're cheap, run forever, and seem to have adequate power that doesn't drop off. No maintenance obviously. If you're only covering 1/4 acre (about the size of my yard) I'd say a corded electric might fit the bill.

If I really wanted to stretch its range, I could break out my little Honda 2000w generator and run it off that.
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

November 13, 2017, 01:34 PM

Depends on how much property you have.
Anything less than 1/4 but not more than 1/2 acre and there's almost no reason to use a gas blower anymore.

Corded or cordless is the way to go.

Lighter, hearing safe, quieter, no maintenance, no fuel, no need to purge or add Stabil, you're not strapping an explosive to your back.

They're also easier to wield for non-leaf duty, say like blowing dry a car after a wash or clearing out a garage of dirt and dust.

The latest LI-ion packs provide plenty power when doubled up. Ego products seem to be the class of the field.

I chose a Makita because I already have their tools and can use the packs across the entire range.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to