DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
4 members and 493 guests
davidcycle, Scot, Slider, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
LED Floor lamp, need your opinions
Unread
  (#1)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

LED Floor lamp, need your opinions - November 12, 2011, 08:54 AM

I've started dabbling in making LED light fixtures (lamps, accent, ambient, etc) and just finished one of the first lamps. I'd like to get some feedback on its look, if you would use one in your own home, and what you think one should sell for.

This is not a for sale thread or one to take orders.

If you have suggestions please share them. I've already got some nice feedback from family and now would like some more 'public' feedback.

One pictures shows the LED face, one picture shows the lamp lit in a mildly lit room, and the last picture is the lamp lit in a dark room.

The lamp was designed to bounce light off a surrounding wall and is more of an ambient light considering it will not sufficiently light a room like a 100watt halogen standing lamp would.

Understand that this lamp is not 100% finished but more of a mock up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slim_led_lamp2.jpg (506.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg slim_led_lamp.jpg (489.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg slim_led_lamp3.jpg (499.1 KB, 66 views)

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; November 12, 2011 at 08:57 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 12, 2011, 09:39 AM

i wouldve bounced it off the ceiling to minimize shadows and give a more even coverage of light

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

November 12, 2011, 09:49 AM

^^^Agree with Chris.
If you're going to make a bounce light, it's better to do it as a torchiere.
Just another consideration, what brand of LEDs are you using? Cree, Phillips, etc.
A brand like Cree will have natural white LEDs in their inventory so you get warm, sunlight colored light versus the typical LED bright white / blueish white which makes you feel like you're in a nightclub.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
On vacation

November 12, 2011, 09:51 AM

I think it looks awesome, mainly cuz it doesn't look like a lamp. I'd rock one if I had modern decor, no doubt about it. Skillz MF'r, you got 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#5)
Knarly Adventurer

November 12, 2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
i wouldve bounced it off the ceiling to minimize shadows and give a more even coverage of light
Agreed.
or defused with a shade

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#6)
Derpetologist

November 12, 2011, 10:00 AM

Looks really neat in 1st and 2nd pic, 3rd pic looks really flat once you see how white it is. You might consider using an amber color for more warmth?

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#7)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

November 12, 2011, 10:01 AM

I've been thinking about upgrading one of my fleshlights with LED lighting.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

November 12, 2011, 10:11 AM

Nice!

I'm sure you realize that this concept model is far from finished. This type of product is a novelty not a necessity and should be designed and priced as such. Meaning that the current base wouldn't really be appropriate. If that was the base to be used then the price of the lamp would have to be less than other floor lamps that use that same base.

Overall I think you're on to something with a certain niche product line centered around minimalism and long lasting, low power consumption lighting accents. I agree with Chris that a model that lines where the ceiling meets the wall would be more appealing and useful, but that would just be one of the models around the niche product line. A floor model would also be necessary.

The final model should have the LED bulbs incorporated into the cylinder housing itself and hopefully and even slimmer cylinder. Light output intensity control would also be a nice add-on feature. This is the type of product that you travel around the country and show off at Home Shows.

As far as pricing, being that it's a niche for minimalist decor your target should be high quality, high cost. These lamps should start above $150 for the full size ones and no less than $100 for any smaller models you design.

Be aware that as simplistic as this design is I wouldn't think that filling for a patent (expensive) would be necessary, but you may want to do your research to make sure that nobody else has patented something overly similar before. Avoiding Infringement Problems - FindLaw

I'd support it meng!
Unread
  (#9)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 12, 2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback!

Bouncing it off the ceiling is certainly do-able and I've been piecing together a similar setup that would incorporate a bulbs at the very top (though look the same as this one) with a very wide spread of light. Also considering bringing the two together.

The types of LED in this unit are simple SMDs, I wouldn't bother with CREEs until I was ready to knock out a 'finished' product.

Dimming is also an option though that's always a difficult task with LEDs.

This current light is close to 3000k even though the iphones camera makes it seem blue in one of the pictures (when it's most certainly not).

Nootherids, thank you, I agree with everything you said and the base of this unit is certainly not one that I would use if I were to create more. I appreciate all the input you provided!

I haven't thought about going as far as filling for a patent (yet) but if this looks to be a venture that I'd want to pursue then I'm certain the patents will follow.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; November 12, 2011 at 01:11 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

November 12, 2011, 02:53 PM

If you take on this venture full force in the future don't keep us "in the dark"! Hahaha (somewhat ghey pun intended)

Btw, what I meant by an "indirect light beam towards the ceiling" was by mounting a horizontal bar suspended up by the ceiling somehow. Not too hard once the focal rod with the LEDs is designed.
Unread
  (#11)
Resident Rodent

November 12, 2011, 03:06 PM

Kewl!!

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

November 12, 2011, 03:09 PM

I like it!

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 12, 2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
If you take on this venture full force in the future don't keep us "in the dark"! Hahaha (somewhat ghey pun intended)

Btw, what I meant by an "indirect light beam towards the ceiling" was by mounting a horizontal bar suspended up by the ceiling somehow. Not too hard once the focal rod with the LEDs is designed.

Honestly, I've pretty much already have the rod with the leds and a slight diffuser already setup. I think all I'd need to do is mock up a sleek way of hanging it which also incorportates the power leads (which could be slim thanks to the small power req.). The hard part is powering it, if it were hardwired in to the ceiling like a recessed light then you'd need everything associated with a j-box setup or how ever they wire up track lighting. Unfortunately I do not have a strong background in home electricity.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 12, 2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
The final model should have the LED bulbs incorporated into the cylinder housing itself and hopefully and even slimmer cylinder.
I forgot to touch on this! The strip is already contained withing a machined cylinder with a cap on one end, the unit even has a window to shield the leds from direct contact. I'll work to get a picture that'll show exactly what I'm talking about.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
No more 1050 :(

November 12, 2011, 05:09 PM

Looks funky mang, looks good. As supplemental light, I don't mind bouncing it off the wall... as an only light I agree with the ceiling suggestions above.

And yeah, third pic it looks too white/ blueish...

I think something like this would look good, put a circle LED strip inside the funnel... just an idea