DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
3 members and 568 guests
2blueyam, fxc3700, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Local Gov'ts Broke so YOU Pay
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

Local Gov'ts Broke so YOU Pay - October 21, 2010, 08:07 AM

So now the government wants to be more aggressive in collecting taxes to the point they are going to go to your house and seize your property. Now instead of just blatant stealing with the stimulus they are just saying pay or we'll go take your stuff. Don't say "well pay your taxes and it wont be a problem". That is not the point. What right does the governemnt have to seize your property for a fraction of it's worth in debt? None. Whatif you had an oversight, emergency or hospitalized when taxes were due and failed to pay ontime? Would you just sit there and take your belongings being stolen and sold by the government? When is enough going to be enough? Governments demand payment for all these taxes they impose most of which are imposed without our knowledge. When are the people going to demand results of these taxes. Did you know they now want to implement a 25-40 cent gas tax raise over 5 years to help with local traffic? What happened to the restaurant tax that was passed a few years ago that was supposed to be used to alleviate traffic in the area? Do you think traffic has gotten better? What improvements did you see the governement take? I saw nothing significant. How about the governments doing what they promise or giving a refund.

The comments in red are mine

Cash-strapped governments ramping up tax-collection efforts

By: Markham Heid
Examiner Staff Writer
October 20, 2010

[IMG]http://media.washingtonexaminer.com/images/250*157/DasBoot.gif[/IMG] Placing wheel locks on cars is just one of many collection methods being used by Washington-area governments to leverage tax scofflaws into paying. (Getty Images)
Tax officials throughout the Washington region are trying new and often extraordinary measures to collect tens of millions of dollars in delinquent payments, as huge projected budget deficits threaten to slash public services.
Together, Washington-area localities are owed more than $40 million in overdue real estate taxes from fiscal 2010 alone. Additional millions in unrecovered fines, fees and personal property tax revenues compound those shortfalls.

They
say they have been able to maintain historically high collection rates, but only by resorting to unusually aggressive collection methods.

"We give people appropriate notice, but if they ignore us, we'll just drive out to their house and remove their car from their driveway. That's an attention getter," said Arlington County Treasurer Frank O'Leary.
O'Leary said he has used such tactics in the past, but lately has encountered a startling new phenomenon.

"This year I sent my people out to collect some vehicles, and they came back and said the properties had been abandoned," O'Leary said. "That had never occurred in Arlington in all the years I'd been treasurer, and it was really sobering to hear that." (who the fuck is this guy? The fucking Mafia?)

O'Leary said real estate tax payment delinquency has nearly tripled in Arlington County since 2003, and as a result his department had partnered with a local lender to offer a six-month payment program. (maybe its not delinquency, maybe its foreclosure and bankruptcy from our wonderful stimulated economy)
Tax officials elsewhere said they too had implemented a number of new collection strategies in an effort to shepherd every last dime into their counties' coffers.

In Fairfax County, Department of Tax Administration Director Kevin Greenlief said his agency was relying more on collection agencies to handle delinquent payments, and has a number of additional collection weapons in its arsenal.

"We can seize your income tax refund. We can put registration blocks on you at the [Department of Motor Vehicles] so you can't register your car. We can boot cars. Those are pretty aggressive tools," he said. "We don't want to take draconian measures unless we have to, but sometimes it's necessary." (what can we do when you fail on your promises to your elected office that our tax money pay for? Can we do the same thing to you for failed campaign promises and inaction?)

Massive budget shortfalls have forced the hand of many local collections officials.

Montgomery County is projecting a $200 million shortfall next fiscal year. The District is facing a $175 million budget deficit in the current fiscal year, and projections for next year's shortfall have ranged as high as $400 million.

Presumptive Mayor-elect Vincent Gray has said he will focus on cutting the budget before raising taxes. But the District's likely next council chairman, Kwame Brown, told The Washington Examiner he plans to push hard to ensure all taxes and fees owed to the city are paid back before pressing forward with budget cuts and tax increases.

"Before we start talking about tax hikes and laying off employees, we should find out what people owe us," Brown said. "Then we need to figure out what we're doing to get our money." (our money? Its the county's money not yours and your offices.)

The District recently concluded a six-week amnesty program, which brought in about $20 million. D.C. tax officials failed to respond to repeated requests for tax collection figures for fiscal 2010, (did they pay the late fee?) but the District's office of tax and revenue has estimated the city is now owed roughly $130 million from individuals and businesses.

Local collection officials also are trying to make it simpler for residents to pay their dues.

Alexandria Finance Director Laura Triggs said the city had partnered with the company Global Express to allow taxpayers to pay their personal property, real estate and other taxes in cash at the company's 50 locations across Northern Virginia.

"We certainly saw a higher percentage of people paying in cash in the last two years, which is unusual," Trigg said. "Any options we can offer residents apart from paying their taxes at City Hall are a good thing."
Freeman Klopott contributed to this report.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Last edited by Rossi; October 21, 2010 at 08:11 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

October 21, 2010, 08:25 AM

305 till I die...

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
FASTER

October 21, 2010, 09:01 AM

Remember not so many years ago when the housing market was booming, property values were skyrocketing, and so were the real estate taxes? What I am trying to understand is that before the housing boom these local governments didn't have all these budget issues. They were successfully running with the money they had coming in. Then the housing boom happens and they basically started bringing in double the amount of money from real estate taxes. It seems they got to fat and happy with all that money and now they claim they need that much money to sustain the current local governments. How about trim the fat? You were doing just fine with far less money and now you are going to have to do it again. Just because you start bringing in a ton of money doesn't mean you should get used to it. How about prepare for the rainy days like I have to do? Don't increase your budget each year to account for any extra income and then when that extra income goes away start crying asking for more.

"O'Leary said real estate tax payment delinquency has nearly tripled in Arlington County since 2003" Maybe that has something to do with the fact these local governments got to damn greedy during the housing boom and increased the real estate tax so fast people couldn't afford it. There was a point my real estate assessment by my county was a good bit more than my real property value which means they were taxing me on a false value. I knew the housing bubble was going to burst and so did everyone else. So why did you get so greedy and take so much and expand your government to use all that extra money to a point that you can't live with out it? Sounds like you created your own issues so now fix it within your own doors. I don't have a problem with getting what you are owed but they raised the real estate tax so much people couldn't afford it. Imagine living on a fixed income and your house is payed for. Now your real estate tax doubled in a few years. Thats ridiculous. They should have slowly moved it up and looked ahead realizing that this boom could not continue and prepared for it. Not get all fat and happy as fast as possible.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#4)

October 21, 2010, 09:18 AM

Good point, Adam

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

October 21, 2010, 09:20 AM

Pathetic.

Why the negative growth to government should not equal the negative growth of the economy I will never know.

The sooner that people start voting these A-holes out of office, the sooner we can start fixing this.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Re: Local Gov'ts Broke so YOU Pay
Unread
  (#6)
Agitator

Re: Local Gov'ts Broke so YOU Pay - October 21, 2010, 09:27 AM

This reminds me of a major gripe I have with terminology lately.
In business, if you have a reduction in revenue, it's exactly that, while a cost is something you spend money on.

In government, it's become something else--for example: "extending tax cuts for the 'rich' will COST $700 billion over ten years" (note also, $70b/yr is <5% of federal revenue). NO! It means your REVENUE is reduced by that much, it pisses me off that the government "ALLOWING" people to KEEP the money they earned is considered a COST to the government!
I think the government needs to demonstrate that they need to take money, NOT the populace demonstrating that we should be ALLOWED to keep it...this backwards thinking reflects a bad trend, that any income individuals are allowed to retain is only by the permission of the govt, when it should be that only with the permission of the populace, the government is allowed to take.

In business if you get less revenue, you cut costs. If you use the business model, the government is saying "we WANT to offer these services, and it will cost this, and you HAVE to pay it"--must be nice when you can force "customers" to buy a product.

Oh, btw, by the same token, the "non-'rich'" part of the tax cuts would "cost" nearly 6 times as much.

It's like "people favor tax cuts for lower incomes"...well perversely with current tax law, you can't cut taxes on people who pay no net taxes, so even if you applied a super-progressive tax cut (eg low income pays 50% less taxes, upper income pays 1% less) the total tax cut would STILL be a tax cut dominated by the upper incomes...that's why this argument is so loved...no matter how you cut taxes, it's giving the "'rich'" a break...and te only way to "even" it out is to give reimbursable refunds (money beyond taxes paid) to lower incomes, which is pure welfare and income redistribution...we just don't call it that.
Pisses me off purely on a terminology and attitude basis.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#7)

October 21, 2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Pathetic.

Why the negative growth to government should not equal the negative growth of the economy I will never know.

The sooner that people start voting these A-holes out of office, the sooner we can start fixing this.
Voting has done nothing. Some other chucklehead gets voted in and is still owned by the people that contributed to his campaign and is a slave to their party. Then bills and laws get passed with addon shit that has nothing to do with the original intent of the law. Party politics then prevent laws being passed to actually help the people. I am afraid we are owned by the banks. The bannks have it now that they dont even have to try to swindle you out of your money. The government talking heads just write them periodic checks like a payment. It's fucking pathetic. We are going down in history as the people that let the banks and government just rob us blind as we did nothing.

Unread
  (#8)

October 21, 2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
This reminds me of a major gripe I have with terminology lately.
In business, if you have a reduction in revenue, it's exactly that, while a cost is something you spend money on.

In government, it's become something else--for example: "extending tax cuts for the 'rich' will COST $700 billion over ten years" (note also, $70b/yr is <5% of federal revenue). NO! It means your REVENUE is reduced by that much, it pisses me off that the government "ALLOWING" people to KEEP the money they earned is considered a COST to the government!
I think the government needs to demonstrate that they need to take money, NOT the populace demonstrating that we should be ALLOWED to keep it...this backwards thinking reflects a bad trend, that any income individuals are allowed to retain is only by the permission of the govt, when it should be that only with the permission of the populace, the government is allowed to take.

In business if you get less revenue, you cut costs. If you use the business model, the government is saying "we WANT to offer these services, and it will cost this, and you HAVE to pay it"--must be nice when you can force "customers" to buy a product.

Oh, btw, by the same token, the "non-'rich'" part of the tax cuts would "cost" nearly 6 times as much.

It's like "people favor tax cuts for lower incomes"...well perversely with current tax law, you can't cut taxes on people who pay no net taxes, so even if you applied a super-progressive tax cut (eg low income pays 50% less taxes, upper income pays 1% less) the total tax cut would STILL be a tax cut dominated by the upper incomes...that's why this argument is so loved...no matter how you cut taxes, it's giving the "'rich'" a break...and te only way to "even" it out is to give reimbursable refunds (money beyond taxes paid) to lower incomes, which is pure welfare and income redistribution...we just don't call it that.
Pisses me off purely on a terminology and attitude basis.
Exactly. Tax me and show me results, if not give me my money back.

If you pay for a service and don't receive that service you get a refund.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 21, 2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Pathetic.

LOL - voting solves nothing. Here's the new A-hole... pretty much the same as the last A-hole. Sure he might be a different age or his skin color is different... but he's not different in any way that matters.
Unread
  (#10)
TPG og

October 21, 2010, 10:24 AM

I'll pay for roads, public schools, firefighters, EMTs and police. Fack everything else, especially pensions for douchebag crook politicans of both parties.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Re: Local Gov'ts Broke so YOU Pay
Unread
  (#11)
Agitator

Re: Local Gov'ts Broke so YOU Pay - October 21, 2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st
I'll pay for roads, public schools, firefighters, EMTs and police. Fack everything else, especially pensions for douchebag crook politicans of both parties.
Not defense?

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#12)
TPG og

October 21, 2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Not defense?
For Maryland? Only from Virginia and DC drivers

Heyooooooo

Nah I thought this was referencing local taxes...... I ain't worried about Al-Quada... we have Baltimore. They wouldn't last 2 seconds if they rolled up there!
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 21, 2010, 10:32 AM

Those pensions piss me off...
Unread
  (#14)
Goodpeopledrinkgoodbeer

October 21, 2010, 10:33 AM

What happend to all that for the people by the people jazz?

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens - Curly Stooge

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

October 21, 2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnebago View Post
What happend to all that for the people by the people jazz?
For the lobbyists, politicos and devlopers, by the lobbyists, politicos and developers. They throw us a scrap every once in a while and keep us sedated with cheap booze and reruns of Jersey Shore.