DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
6 members and 543 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Looking for a good hosting site for pictures
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Looking for a good hosting site for pictures - July 16, 2006, 07:39 PM

Since I've gotten into photography, I'm looking to purchase a domain and then some software to control all of the pictures. Does anyone know of a good hosting site and some software to use?

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#2)
Im too lazy

July 16, 2006, 08:36 PM

I use Omnis web hosting and the Photoshop automated galleries. It wont build a web page, but Frontpage makes it really easy. Thats about as simple as it gets

http://www.cjbnln.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
BE ENCOURAGED!

July 16, 2006, 09:00 PM

You are right where I was about 6 months ago Brooks. I was asking the same thing. Here is what I found out and recommend:

1) Before you invest in your own website, I would recommend using www.imageevent.com to host your pictures. MagicRat recommended it to me. It is a great way to learn hosting pics, as well as setting up albums. You can look at my albums at www.imageevent.com/guzzler to give you some ideas if you like. It will also host video shows and slide shows if you are interested in doing that sort of thing. It isn't expensive, and will give you a chance to really focus on what type of photography you are serious about before you dedicate a website to it.

2) I have discovered that Photoshop seems to be the best all around picture software. I tried some others, but that seems to do the best job, the easiest.

3) If you decide to set up a website like I am presently doing, I found the easiest way to do this, and was recommended to me by DCSBN members, is to go to www.godaddy.com. You can buy a Domain name and get webhosting all in one place. Then later if you decide to move it to another hosting domain you can. FrontPage 2003 is what I got and it is probably the easiest web building software out there, but remember it takes the HTML and writes the code for you, so you still have some layout learning to do. Don't expect to load it and build a website that day if you have never done that sort of thing before. There are some great training sites for it on the web though. You just need to have time to take the courses, which is the problem I am presently having, so I have recruited a friend to build my initial site!

4) If you want to learn more about photography, find the forums on the web that pertain to your camera. Bean hooked me up with some Cannon sites (Thanks again ). It has been tremendously helpful in learning little tricks. I had never taken night pics before. Went on a site and learned how to take pics of the fireworks on the 4th of July...which to my amazement turned out great.

I am focusing my attention on sportbike racing and track day pictures for now. I enjoyed the time you went out there with me. I hope we can get together again and have some fun at Summit in the upcoming CCS & WERA races!

Good Luck!

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?

Last edited by GUZZ; July 16, 2006 at 09:15 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#4)
BE ENCOURAGED!

July 16, 2006, 09:00 PM

.....Double post. Mod Please Delete. Thanks

Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 16, 2006, 09:11 PM

thanks for the info guys. It was fun hanging out at Summit with you too Guzz, learned a lot that day. I've been going on dpreview.com and have been able to find a lot of good info on there.

Katie 135
Unread
  (#6)
I'm an Asshole

July 16, 2006, 11:22 PM

I would like to recommend getting a Macintosh Computer. They have a service called dot mac (.mac clever I know) that costs 69$ with purchase of a new mac and includes a gig of online storage. They also have free software called iPhoto which is a great/easy application to upload photos to the web and keep them organized in an itunes-esque library. This comes with every mac which prices range from the lowest end of 600$ to high end machines around 2500-3k.

If you're scarred of using a mac you can dual boot (put windows and OS X on the same machine) which will give you the best of both worlds until you realize there is only one best world and that is OS X.

There was also a pricey "pro" application called Appeture(*sp) which used raw formats or something... blah blah blah and costs a couple hundred bucks. Idk, but ask around to your friends with a background in photography and most likely the majority will tell you to own a mac.

And you can get photoshop for the Mac... so as far as digital photography is concerned... there's nothing a PC can do that a mac can't do and do a lot better.

And if you're stuck using windows... listen to these other guys, because I refuse to recommend anything for that platform.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#7)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 17, 2006, 06:08 AM

i can host for you if you want - i have my own hosting service.

for pics you can install some software from the web, or make a web gallery with photoshop.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
BE ENCOURAGED!

July 17, 2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
i can host for you if you want - i have my own hosting service.
You never miss a chance to promote your web hosting service Paulio!

Don't think you really need to change to a Mac set up just yet Brooks. Most of the people that Griffindork is referring to are Graphic Designer types. Start small. If you decide later that you wish to grow and invest substantial money on your hobby perhaps making it a business, THEN I would possibly consider a Mac environment!

Unread
  (#9)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 17, 2006, 06:57 AM

i did gfx design for a long long while - and i always used a PC. the preference is like benz to bmw. everyone has their reasons. do not get me wrong, macs are awseome, but as an amateur and just getting into it, PC is fine for you.

Guzz, I gotta pay for the track days somehow, and it is just not working

-

I tow 747s

Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 17, 2006, 07:01 AM

yeah i dont want to buy another computer just for doing this. I can get photoshop from a friend at work. I've also worked with front page before. I just want a central location for all the pictures I take instead of keeping them on my computer or hosting them on a free site.

Katie 135
Unread
  (#11)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 17, 2006, 07:24 AM

brooks, i charge 100 a year or 12 bucks a month - you get a gig of space, i can help you set up anything on there.

i have a copy of photoshop handy if you ened, and you're not too far.. im in lorton across the occoquan bridge.

here's the specifics of what you get

Disk Space: 1gig
Transfer Limit (GB/wk): 20
Secure FTP/SSH2
Web Statistics
CGI-Bin Access
PHP 5 support
Java/JSP support
MySQL Database
Virtual Mail Manager
Unlimited Accounts
Spam Filtering
POP/IMAP Access
Unlimted Email
SMTP Access
"Catch-all" Feature
Full Domain Parking
Unlimited Sub-Domains
Unlimited Domains

-

I tow 747s

Unread
  (#12)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 20, 2006, 12:47 AM

http://www.dreamhost.net

You cannot beat them for speed, storage, bandwidth, etc

I believe they do the domain for free with hosting.. for picture management software including automatic thumbnailing and web page generation, check out googles picasa... even my mom can use it. I use a little program called ThumbHTML.. it works well for generating html/thumbs, but picasa will organize, help you backup pictures, etc all automatically.

Matt
02 DRZ400
00 SV650s
08 Vino 125
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to car54