DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
2 members and 551 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Looking for work out advice...
Unread
  (#1)
Noob-alishish

Looking for work out advice... - September 7, 2009, 11:36 AM

Hey guys so my step-dad just signed me up for his gym, its practically free on his part so WOOOOHOOOO.

Anyway Im looking to get pretty tone. Not bigger badder im the best or anything just pretty tone/ripped (whatever you wana call it).

Im also going to try to be a fire fighter one day. They have alot of things to pick from. I know I need a lot of cardio.

Far as working my arms, legs, abs, etc etc any advice? I really dont want to pay a trainer to tell me whats up...

Thanks in advance

O if it matters I'm 20, 150lbs about 5"8 maybe 5"9 lol

Remember to Breathe.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
intermediate

September 7, 2009, 11:58 AM

if u just want to get toned and not bulk up i reccomend doing high reps with low weights. meaning a weight that u can lift comfortably 15 times. do your research on how to work out arms,back,chest and legs(internet has infinite info on this). work out everything and finish all workouts with an ab and do ur cardio
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to silky Send a message via AIM to silky Send a message via Skype™ to silky 
Unread
  (#3)
Noob-alishish

September 7, 2009, 12:01 PM

^ Thanks, yeah Im doing research right now as well

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#4)
wet clutch!

Wink September 7, 2009, 12:06 PM

Most of the time, personal trainers dont know shit. (neither do I)

I suggest you start with interval training along with some weights. Keeps the cardio system in shape. I have been doing it for couple of months and it seems to work.

never focus on one muscle ... like just arms or legs. do compound exercises, they focus on different muscle groups at a time... (like dips, works shoulders, triceps, chest and back)

my routine...
4 (sets) x 5(reps)
Compound exercise (benchpress, squats, dips, deadlifts...)
2 x Superset with light weights (flys, lunges, pullups, rows...)
I run between sets, 100 meter sprint, 1/4 run...
and at the end ... stretching... breathing exercises

Lots of my info comes from bodybuilding.com
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HIIT
so check it out, read some articles and experiment....

and dont forget to warm up, u dont want a sprained muscle when RIDIN!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Noob-alishish

September 7, 2009, 12:46 PM

^ Thanks will check that out

and the sprained muscle o yeah Im taking it easy because my CBR is my DD cant get hurt F*** up my life lol and im tryin to get a job so yeah that wouldnt be good haha

I cant come in today because yesterday I worked out to hard and sprained a muscle lol

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#6)
Meet your Maker

September 7, 2009, 01:28 PM

If your just starting out do pushups, pullups, dips, sit ups, back extensions, etc...
Throw in a moderate amount of conditioning as well. Once your back into it try this...I used this for lacrosse and every other month now

Day 1...back and bis (mix up routine and do about 4 exercises per/bodypart)
Day 2...shoulders, traps (press, lat raise, upright row, shrugs, bent over lat raise)
Rest
Day 4...legs (squats, ham. curls, leg press, leg ext, calf raises, etc...)
Day 5...chest/tri (db bench, dips, inc db, rope down, decline bench, skull crushers)

Set 1...12 reps @ a weight you can do 30 times...explode on positive and very slow on negative

Set 2...5 reps @ 15rpm(rep max) same as above

Set 3...6 reps @ 6rpm...explode on positive and negative

Set 4...12 reps @ 12rpm...same as above, when you reach failure drop the weight 20% and do steady speed reps to failure

Rest 2 minutes between all sets

This exercise will make your muscles very usuable in everyday life and sports...once you have been on the grind for about 2 months look at www.crossfit.com this will be your bible if you want to stay ripped and in shape that is worth anything

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

September 7, 2009, 02:13 PM

Its good that you're looking for workout advice. Its not so good that you're looking for it here since you will be filled with many incorrect assumptions that the general public tends to have. It especially drives me crazy when people say PTs don't know shit about exercise. Those are the same people that have been exposed to (or know friends) that are just plain incapable personal trainers with shady certifications and minimal experience. In any case, do your research since I understand your finances won't allow you to hire a qualified PT which should be the only reason why you shouldn't have one. Hell, every top athlete in the world works with a PT of some sort. When you're serious about learning a little more you can come and visit me at the gym. I'm a hypertrophy, sports and conditioning, special populations certified and have been training for 9 years.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
wet clutch!

Post September 7, 2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Its good that you're looking for workout advice. Its not so good that you're looking for it here since you will be filled with many incorrect assumptions that the general public tends to have. It especially drives me crazy when people say PTs don't know shit about exercise. Those are the same people that have been exposed to (or know friends) that are just plain incapable personal trainers with shady certifications and minimal experience. In any case, do your research since I understand your finances won't allow you to hire a qualified PT which should be the only reason why you shouldn't have one. Hell, every top athlete in the world works with a PT of some sort. When you're serious about learning a little more you can come and visit me at the gym. I'm a hypertrophy, sports and conditioning, special populations certified and have been training for 9 years.

I guess i should have clarified the point... lot of the local/school gym PTs are there just to make a buck... and YES i am speaking from experience.

Derby:
do your research, and don't be afraid to experiment with different routines...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Ninja Power

September 7, 2009, 04:09 PM

I work out about 5 days a week... Some advice I can give you always get your heart rate up before you work out.. This will help for best results. It gets the blood pumping to all your muscles.. I run one day, bike the enxt, run, bike, etc, everyday before my work out. Also, rotate what you work. Except abs. Your core is something you can do everyday. Also, another key is muscle confusion. So mix up how you work out each muscle every 2 weeks or so. Looks up work out routines. Now as for the fire fighter test. One thing you need to master is stairs. If you gym has a stair climber, you need to master 1000 stairs in 15 minutes, with 20 pounds on your back.. So start off doing about 500 stairs in 15 minutes, and get comfortable with that, and lightly increase the speed, once you get to 1000 in 15 minutes, grab a backpack, and put a few books in it, light weight.and slowly increase the weight as it becomes more comfortbale. Go online and look up the fire fighter training test. Look over all the things they test on. I have gotten my work out down and can do the fairfax county test with my eyes closed because I focused on that particular routine for months. Hope this help..

Just curious, what gym are you at?

Talent
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Arctic White / White Pearl (Still Under Construction)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Talent Send a message via AIM to Talent  
Unread
  (#10)
Meet your Maker

September 7, 2009, 04:20 PM

really the best workout only needs a jump rope and maybe an ab roller

I know people that do plyometrics and body weight exercises and hit weights only a couple times a week that look redic...everyones different when it comes to seeing results

The biggest key to leanr when doing gym exercises is to have proper form...if theres one thing a trainer can show you is the correct way to lift...seen a lot of injuries and lack of results due to improper form

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
Unread
  (#11)
See the mouth and the eye

September 7, 2009, 06:19 PM

I just started the the P90X routine a couple weeks ago, it's a 12 week program that's a mix of weight training, plyometrics and cardio. It's def something to look in to. You can buy the videos and all but most of the workouts are on youtube in one form or another. All it requires equipment wise are barbells and a pull up bar (a push up bar too if you have one, it will help alot with your form). The majority of the workouts just use your own body weight as resistance. It's usually a one hour workout, 6 days a week, each workout focuses on different muscle groups. I can bore you with all the crap as to why it worthwhile to try but you can do one workout and it'll speak for itself...I almost puked the first time I did it and I'm in relatively decent shape . Do some research for yourself though, It might be the perfect workout for you. I can loan you the DVD's if you like too, you really only need to watch each one once to see how each of the exercises are done to make sure you get your form right.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#12)
Meet your Maker

September 7, 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv/dt View Post
I just started the the P90X routine a couple weeks ago, it's a 12 week program that's a mix of weight training, plyometrics and cardio. It's def something to look in to. You can buy the videos and all but most of the workouts are on youtube in one form or another. All it requires equipment wise are barbells and a pull up bar (a push up bar too if you have one, it will help alot with your form). The majority of the workouts just use your own body weight as resistance. It's usually a one hour workout, 6 days a week, each workout focuses on different muscle groups. I can bore you with all the crap as to why it worthwhile to try but you can do one workout and it'll speak for itself...I almost puked the first time I did it and I'm in relatively decent shape . Do some research for yourself though, It might be the perfect workout for you. I can loan you the DVD's if you like too, you really only need to watch each one once to see how each of the exercises are done to make sure you get your form right.
At first i thought another BS workout but I know at least 10 people who all swear by it...might be worth a try

Looking for a Race Bike
Unread
  (#13)
See the mouth and the eye

September 7, 2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeb View Post
At first i thought another BS workout but I know at least 10 people who all swear by it...might be worth a try
Def worth a try.... It's no joke.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#14)
cake > pie

September 7, 2009, 06:34 PM

You're going to get tons of different advice and honestly if you stay active and work out no mater what program you use you will see some sort of results but they will differ. If you are trying to lose weight I swear by Bill Phillips (founder of EAS) Body for life program. He also has a great cookbook called eating for life. My ex wife and I did the program and it worked great (granted we were in the gym 6 days a week). I went the other route though and put on 20lbs of muscle on the program. After my divorce i went threw some depression and played to much World of Warcraft and ate way to much junk food. Although I am not in bad shape I am in the process of getting back in shape. My #1 piece of advice for working out though is keep the workout interesting. If you do the same thing all the time, you will get bored and stop going.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
superdupernunu

September 7, 2009, 09:31 PM

+ 8 weeks of deca & 6 weeks of d-bol =

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to