DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
2 members and 566 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The low-down on tablets..what is it?!
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

The low-down on tablets..what is it?! - September 11, 2011, 01:56 PM

Theres all this talk about tablets, especially after HP announcement. But to the average jo-blo, whats the difference? Why get one over the other. For a FEW seconds, I though about getting the IPAD but that bitch is EXPENSIVE. Then I saw the HP marked down..

So for the average person who basically wants it for navigating the web, pictures, vids, and the occasional word/adobe document..which one to get? Also, I dont think Verixon has the unlimited plan anymore (which I do have) - do you think thats going to affect sales?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

September 11, 2011, 02:28 PM

Honestly, the ONLY thing compelling about the IPAD are:
- All the apps available for iOS
- The longest battery life (by about 1/2 hours over it competitors)
- Visually the best screen in terms of clarity and color reproduction. (somewhat debatable)

That said, is it worth the $200 premium over almost all else. To me, no. It's a nice to have and I'm an not knocking the Ipad, but I personally I do not see the value to justify the cost.

And while Apple fans love will drill press into your head the millions of apps you can purchase and use on your Ipad, the truth of the matter is you'll find most people only really use ~15-20 in their daily lives with half of those being stock applications and a majority of the remainder are NOT exclusive to Ipad. They can be found for other OS's as well.

If you want a simple tablet for the basics uses you mentioned you will be well served by the Touchpad or any low cost tablet running Android (Archos 101, 70 for instance) or even the few running Win7/8.

Just my two pennies on the matter.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 11, 2011, 02:49 PM

I tend to agree. I have an android pad from work for mobile development. I'm not seeing the gain in having an iPad. To me the android market is coming along fast. It might not be as good as the iPad right now. But few people will really care. Download the apps you want, play, enjoy. (And I use the WiFi only one. Not gonna pay for another plan for wireless access for it.)

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

September 11, 2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
(And I use the WiFi only one. Not gonna pay for another plan for wireless access for it.)
There's no need to. So long as you're in shouting distance of your phone, just flick on its HotSpot function.

Most smart phones have hotspots or apps to enable hotspot functionality. I have a 3GS on T-Mobile, and use PDAnet to use it as a hotspot when I need to.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
Derpetologist

September 11, 2011, 03:21 PM

what ever happened to computer tablets? The kind that work as a full blown computer OR the screen can be turned over to act as a touchpad? lol, are those even made anymore?

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

September 11, 2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
what ever happened to computer tablets? The kind that work as a full blown computer OR the screen can be turned over to act as a touchpad? lol, are those even made anymore?
computer tablets are too heavy....

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Unread
  (#7)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
September 11, 2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
My wife has one and I hate it.......next time she gets a computer I am going to try and get her to get something smaller/sleeker. Her only uses for it are email, word processing, the internet, and some media (putting songs/movies on her phone). Time to move her to a tablet!!

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

September 11, 2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Netbooks and Tablets PCs were supplanted by Tablets.
It seems every 3-4 years you get a vestigial technology device to ride along with the big 2, Desktop and Laptop.

At first is was the full featured PDAs like the Compaq Ipaq that could function like mini computers and download books, do word precessing, spreadsheets, etc.
Those gave way to early tablet PCs, then came the wave of Netbooks, then E-Readers, and now Tablets are the rage.

What comes next, who knows? I figure once they figure out how to perfect the paper thin, flexible folding screens and do it in more than just black and white, we'll have Matbooks. You'll unroll your device like a mat and when done, roll it back up like a tube.

Unread
  (#9)
What are we doing here???

September 11, 2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
At first is was the full featured PDAs like the Compaq Ipaq that could function like mini computers and download books, do word precessing, spreadsheets, etc.
I remember those. I begged for one from my ex long time ago.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

September 11, 2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFiddyOne View Post
I remember those. I begged for one from my ex long time ago.
I had one.

Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

September 12, 2011, 10:09 AM

After a slight overclock on my Nook Color running Android 2.3, I have to say I am quite impressed and pleased with it. The Nook is almost half the size of my ipad which makes it that much more convenient to lug around.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Instructor

September 12, 2011, 11:25 AM

There are some fields where the iPad has niche apps that justify it. There are a plethora of medical apps that are neither supported nor duplicated on android. My wife uses 10-17 different ones for her autistic patients. The pros though are that we can writeoff the costs due to her business use. She also went 3G on the iPad since she is required to get approval for each device and connection.

For personal use, I don't know why anyone uses the iPad

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
Unread
  (#13)
Site Admin

September 12, 2011, 11:31 AM

I got a Asus Transformer from Amazon for $290 shipped 2 weeks ago when they were on sale.

I use it everyday. I also have a android phone, so this works out for me.
Unread
  (#14)
Typical Stripper

September 13, 2011, 01:27 PM

Dell steak 7 for a little over 200. Fits my travel needs perfectly.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Yo quiero Trackday!

September 14, 2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnduc View Post
I got a Asus Transformer from Amazon for $290 shipped 2 weeks ago when they were on sale.

I use it everyday. I also have a android phone, so this works out for me.

Damn, I think I just found the wife's christmas present!