DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
2 members and 545 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Magic JACK....Anybody here use this?
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

Magic JACK....Anybody here use this? - January 9, 2010, 11:34 AM

I am seriously considering getting this. I have a home phone only because where I live cell service is spotty to non-existent. We really don't make that many calls because we use the internet, e-mail, AIM, Facebook, etc. to communicate. But my parents like to call vs. electronic media. I pay a ton for phone service I barely use. I have Skype, but I like the idea of being able to plug our phones into it. We have satellite internet which is up 24/7 so that won't be an issue. At $19.95 a year it seems like you can't go wrong. But as P.T. Barnum said "A fool is born everyday"

So...Is this to good to be true or does it really deliver as promised.

Sidenote: I understand you can't get 911 service with it, but out here if I dial 911 in the case of a break in or robbery I feel that the situation would be settled LONG before the Sheriff ever arrived. As for Fire & Rescue, I have their direct number and our cell phones work if we stand in certain places outside. Just not in the house.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
Que se jodan!!

January 9, 2010, 11:43 AM

We use the Magic Jack here in Mexico so we have a US number, thus friends can call us, and any companies we order shit from in the US also has a US number to reach us (you can imagine the retarded comments we get when we say, "sure, you can call us anytime you want, but it will be an international call.")

Anyway, the Magic Jack works perfectly for us - no bad connections or spotty conversations ("what did you just say?"). Cost is great, and the 911 issue isn't a big deal since I have my 911 response in a holster on my ankle.....

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#3)
BE ENCOURAGED!

January 9, 2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
...and the 911 issue isn't a big deal since I have my 911 response in a holster on my ankle.....
Sounds like you and I have similar 911 services!

Thanks for the input. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#4)
Got Any Gwapes?

January 9, 2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER View Post
Sounds like you and I have similar 911 services!

Thanks for the input. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
That would be dialing 1911

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#5)
BE ENCOURAGED!

January 9, 2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post
That would be dialing 1911
Which for me feels like pure MAGIC....Jack!

Bawhahahaha. I crack myself up!....and

I just whored my own thread

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

January 9, 2010, 12:21 PM

I used Vonage fro many years without any problem. It looks like Magic Jack is the same concept but a lot cheaper. You start to see issues with voice quality if you are on the lower limits of broadband bandwidth.

I'm waiting to see what happens with this new battle they are entering. They picked a gray area to go in to.
MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fees

The company behind the magicJack, the cheap Internet phone gadget that's been heavily promoted on TV, has made a new version of the device that allows free calls from cell phones in the home, in a fashion that's sure to draw protest from cellular carriers.

The new magicJack uses, without permission, radio frequencies for which cellular carriers have paid billions of dollars for exclusive licenses.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/us_tec...show_magicjack

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
  Send a message via AIM to