DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 518
0 members and 518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Man defeats commie HOA...can park in driveway
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

Man defeats commie HOA...can park in driveway - July 28, 2010, 11:26 AM

HOA douchiness... shocking I know.

"ODESSA, Fla. - It's hard to believe that A.J. Vizzi spent nearly $200,000 defending his right to park his own pickup truck in his own driveway.
When he first moved in back in 1997, Vizzi was told that parking his large truck in the driveway wasn't against the subdivision's rules. But years later, the Eagles Masters Association, which governs the entire community, said it did violate their rules and therefore, the truck had to go.
It didn't end there. Knowing the truck did not fit in his garage, Vizzi decided to stand his ground.
The homeowners association sued Vizzi, and for two exhausting years, the two parties battled in court.
"They just didn't care," Vizzi told FOX 13. "It was like, 'our rules overrule what your community says because we're a master association and, you know, we're right and you're wrong.' I couldn't believe I had to go hire an attorney just to defend myself against this, what was a meritless lawsuit."
In December of 2008, Vizzi and his family got an early Christmas present: A judge ruled in their favor. It was finally over, they thought. But the homeowners association appealed the decision, and off to court they went once again.
Finally, in March of this year, A.J. won again and a judge awarded him more than $187,000 in legal fees just this week.
"I think what people should take away from this is that homeowners should be left alone unless it’s a very serious issue," Vizzi's attorney, Dan Anderson said. "And, certainly, requiring a homeowner to spend over two hundred thousand dollars to defend themselves simply to park a vehicle in the driveway just doesn't make any sense at all."
Despite the cash, it's Vizzi parking his truck in his own driveway that remains the biggest victory of all.
"I think that maybe I was just being bullied by this group," said Vizzi, "and maybe now they'll think twice."
In a news release from his law firm, Anderson said the association will have incurred more than $300,000 in legal fees and costs after paying the Vizzis. He said the Vizzis regret the fact that the homeowners will end up paying the bill, but had no other choice aside from giving in to the association's demands.
Originally reported by MyFoxTampaBay.com:"

Homeowner wins right to park truck in own driveway
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

July 28, 2010, 11:32 AM

HOA suck balls. Will NEVER live in a community with one.
I own my home asshole. This is not a Co-Op or Condo, so I can do as I please.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

July 28, 2010, 11:38 AM

Id be interested to know the details of the truck and regulations of the HOA.

I have an old friend who's dad owned a camera car company, HOA regulations said no advertising of any kind visible from the street.

He made sure to keep the trucks, etc out of sight from the street.

That being said, Im glad this guy won, its an awesome precedent. my HOA prohibits way to much crap, and Im just waiting for them to fine me for working on cars, motorcycles etc in my driveway, which is prohibited.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#4)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 28, 2010, 11:41 AM

I agree HEIST. I too will never live in a neighborhood that has a HOA. Under VA law tho all newer and future housing developments must have a HOA.

If I ever do find that i want a house with an HOA I will be sure to read it before I submit a contract.

Some HOAs are out of control.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

July 28, 2010, 11:46 AM

Please drive through Dale city which does NOT have an HOA and then get back to me.

mmm, yeah id love to live next to a purple house, with trash in the front yard, a car on jack stands for 2 years, a transmission on the front porch and grass that is never mowed b/c they park the cars on it.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
Popplers!

July 28, 2010, 11:54 AM

You guys need to watch the video. His truck is a stock F350 and there are no advertisements.

I'm glad he won.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 28, 2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Please drive through Dale city which does NOT have an HOA and then get back to me.

mmm, yeah id love to live next to a purple house, with trash in the front yard, a car on jack stands for 2 years, a transmission on the front porch and grass that is never mowed b/c they park the cars on it.

Yup Ive whatched my dads neighborhood slowly get worse and worse. He too was a I hate HOA preacher. Now he has seen the light. cars on grass, over occupied houses, car seats on the front porch, Xmas lights all year, wrecked cars parked and left for a year, every other house has an over grown yard. My HOA fee is the same price he pays for his trash service each month.

No thanks.
Unread
  (#8)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

July 28, 2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

Hear Hear! Or if you live there and become convinced that the local nightlife is leaving too many empty beer bottles in the streets and you'd like to organize a cleanup, it's hard to do without an HOA.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#9)
TPG og

July 28, 2010, 12:11 PM

Its true...HOAs can be beneficial...keeping the riff raff out, keeping the nice single family hood from looking like a trailer park but... more often than not I've seen them overstep their boundries into the insanely nitpicky...

I'll deal with Christmas lights year round, jacked up pickups and plastic white picket fenced front yards (all things that are currently on my street) before I'll let some busbody tell me what to do with my property. Driveways are meant to be used to work on vehicles, preferably American ones, while listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd on cheap ebay speakers and consuming copious amounts of bud light and marlboro cigarettes. Its what our country was founded on.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#10)
noise

July 28, 2010, 12:12 PM

That's AWESOME!

Honestly, when I read the title, I thought DC-MOTO had gone to court and won
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

July 28, 2010, 01:20 PM

everyone is SO anti-HOA....

I mean honestly I've never had a battle with an HOA....hope that I don't but more than likely one day I will.

I feel like the people who say I'd NEVER do this or I'd NEVER do that should have tried to be apart on the HOA board. For example, people were thrashing the HOA for taking the soldiers house b/c they didn't pay $800...YES while F'd up....royaly F'd UP still it was a two party fault. The woman should have looked in the mail.

I guess I'm just a pro active dude....I'd rather be on something to talk sense in it and make changes for the better (within the HOA) of the people that the HOA servers versus just being on an HOA to "control" stuff than to just sit around and bitch about it.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#12)
Its me bytches..

July 28, 2010, 01:56 PM

While I can understand why a community wouldnt want big construction trucks parked next to its half million $$ homes..

HOA do take it a little too far. When I owned my townhouse, I was forced to move my satellite dish down 2 feet because the top of the dish was visible from the front of the house. I ignored every letter sent by the HOA until they threatened lawsuits.. and finally paid the $175 and extra holes in my roof to comply.

There needs to be a compromise in situations like this. Done on a case by case basis where the entire community votes (not just the HOA or committee) to decide if something is allowable or not.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#13)
Got my Permit

July 28, 2010, 02:22 PM

HOA's suck balls!!!
Full of busy bodies into everyone's business except their own. If you don't like a truck parked next door, dont f&*kin move in next door. Cheese N Rice, just use common sense.
Dale city is a bad example btw but still if you don't like it don't move in, simple enough.
Rant off
hasta.

Jim
2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Unread
  (#14)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 28, 2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
... Under VA law tho all newer and future housing developments must have a HOA.

If I ever do find that i want a house with an HOA I will be sure to read it before I submit a contract. ...
WHAAA????
How can that be...
Got a link?

-scheherazade
Unread
  (#15)
facebook what is that?

July 28, 2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
That's AWESOME!