DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 526
4 members and 522 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, nootherids, REDSKTL 280ZX
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Man/Woman of the year
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

Man/Woman of the year - April 13, 2007, 08:19 AM

This competition raises money for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.

My girlfriend, Katie Landi is taking part to raise money. She took notice last year when Brian, of WMZQ's Ben and Brian participated.

She has decided to raise funds in honor of me.

When I was 16, a Junior in high school, I noticed a lump in my neck. I wrote it off thinking it was a result of football practice. When it didnít go away I knew something wasnít right. My mom being a nurse immediately took me to the doctor.

It was advanced, through out my torso, in my major organs including my lungs. Extremely aggressive rounds of chemo and radiation would be necessary.

I made the mistake of asking one of my pediatric oncologists what would have happened if they had not found the cancer? The answer has never left me; "month, 3 months, 6 months max". I was 16, I played varsity football, ran track, sang in choir, I was the epitome of health.

I spent my 17th birthday bald, emaciated, having intravenous chemo pumped in to my chest (because the chemicals would burn a hole through arm veins) nauseous in a doctors office, unable to see my friends because I had 0 white blood cell count.

But its because of advancements in treatment that I am alive. My treatment was "experimental" when I was treated.

If you are willing to donate any amount, thank you. What I would like just as much is if you can post this link on other forums; put a link on your myspace, facebook, anything you are willing to do. If you know of corporations who would be willing to donate money, or items of value for the auction the society holds in June. If you know business who would be willing to host events, or give a portion of sales from a day, week, month pleas forward the information to me. Thank You.

http://www.active.com/donate/ncamwoy05/ncaKLandi

Here is a link to information about Man & Woman of the year:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=59513

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!

Last edited by zx6rfool; April 13, 2007 at 09:48 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
God Made Me Wrong

April 13, 2007, 12:23 PM

for an awesome cause

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

April 23, 2007, 08:19 AM

Monday Bump, with a story.

So Saturday Bloomingdales at Tyson’s was giving 10% of purchases to this fund, all you had to do was have a card from a member participating in the fundraiser, and your recipt. You were however not allowed to hand them out in the store.

My girlfriend and I were just outside Bloomindales in the mall handing out the cards to anyone headed in to Bloomingdales who already had a Bloomingdales bag or those who weren’t walking with conviction out of Bloomingdales with a bag.

I saw a mother father and daughter, parents were in their early 60, and the very attractive daughter was probably late 20s, maybe 30. I approached, explained the fundraiser, and asked if they were interested.

"Really? We just spent $1,500, course we will!" Off the mother and daughter went. Shortly after the father approached me. "Couldn’t have picked a better person son. My daughter is a surgical resident in Florida, just decided to specialize in Oncology Surgery, we just bought her that ring as a present to help her get over her boyfriend, they dated for a year and a half, he too is a doctor."

When I find out how much we were able to raise on Saturday Ill post that up.

Thanks for looking.

Brad

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#4)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 23, 2007, 08:26 AM

B-RAD U THE MAN!!! BUMP 4 U
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

April 25, 2007, 09:32 AM

UPDATE!

Girlfriend emailed me with some exciting news:

"There is a donor who said she would give $500 to the campaign that has the most online donations this week (Tuesday 4/24 to Tuesday 5/1). It is the most people, not the most money. So make your donation this week, and really push the online donation with all your contacts!

Brian Egan (of WMZQ's 98.7 FM Brian in the Morning Show)has gotten back to us and is going to sponsor us! Our link is going to be on their website and we might get some radio time too! Once I get in contact with him, I will ask about getting some auction items donated. "

About 2/3rds of the way down the page on the left you can see the link to Katie's web page and a little bit about the campaign.

http://www.wmzq.com/pages/brianegan.html

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

April 27, 2007, 09:27 AM

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#7)
opossum puncher

May 14, 2007, 08:40 AM

This Thursday on 98.7 WMZQ my girlfriend, Katie and I will be on with Brian In The Morning talking about the Man & Woman of the year competition.

There should be an auction to help raise funds while we are on the air, and we hope to plug an event we would like to have Thursday night at the Ned Devine's Irish Village in sterling. 100% the cover would go to the Leukemia Lymphoma society.

Also, Katie's team (United for a Cure) and a man running for Man of the Year, Noah Cuttler (Team Cuttler) are joining together to host a scavenger hunt on the boomerang bus.

On Saturday, June 9th at 12:30pm, teams of five people will take off on a wild scavenger hunt through the Washington D.C. area for great prizes and, of course, bragging rights!

The Boomerang Bus is full of fun games, mariachis, great music and FREE Coors Light, their official sponsor!

The Scavenger Hunt will kick off at
Rumors, where we will pre-party with beer specials and shooters to kick off the hunt. There will also be great give-a-ways, including a free Boomerang trip, a Boomerang drinking card game, and a bottle of champagne! Koozies for everyone, too!

Tickets are $45 and can be purchased
here Tickets are limited and expected to sell out.

$25 of the $45 will go to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society though either Katie, or Cuttler. Please sign up under Katie. Or just remember so we can appropriately divide funds. Because this is a fund raiser its also tax deductible!

Buy Tickets Here: https://www.zerve.com/boomerang/hunt

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!

Last edited by zx6rfool; May 14, 2007 at 08:50 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Street Bonk Bum.....

May 14, 2007, 08:51 AM

i vote jessica alba for woman of they year! j/k bump for the B-RAD
  Send a message via AIM to