DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
2 members and 522 guests
Heist, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Marine stages Counter-Protest
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

Marine stages Counter-Protest - February 22, 2007, 03:09 PM

http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2007/02/22/local_news/01news.txt

Tori Kovach of Aberdeen, left, is a regular feature on downtown streets, often seen near the Wishkah Bridge holding signs protesting the war in Iraq or chastising President Bush. On Wednesday, Sgt. Brendan Chamburs, the Marine Corps recruiter stationed in Aberdeen, saw Kovach holding a protest sign near Quizno’s and decided to stage a counter-demonstration.

He had his sign made at Coast Line Signs. Kovach was unmoved, saying, “I believe in the military, but I think the military is being misused. They are dying for a lie.” A few people honked their horns as they drove by, but not everyone was inclined to support free speech. Before Sgt. Chamburs showed up, someone threw an egg at Kovach from a passing car, hitting his sign.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Track Ho

February 22, 2007, 03:23 PM

that marine should be fired from his recruiting job

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#3)
One and Only

February 22, 2007, 03:25 PM

That's fucking awesome. Sgt Chamburs is my hero.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

February 22, 2007, 04:09 PM

He's fighting for his job... no war... no recruits... no job.

I wonder if he paid for the sign or wrote it off as a business expense?

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
Knarly Adventurer

February 22, 2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
that marine should be fired from his recruiting job
why?
Unread
  (#6)
One and Only

February 22, 2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
He's fighting for his job... no war... no recruits... no job.

I wonder if he paid for the sign or wrote it off as a business expense?
Or maybe, just maybe, he's simply voicing an all too often ignored opinion.

Considering you're normally very well informed in your arguements, I'll let this complete and utter load of crap slide.

99.99999% of recruiters would give their right arm to be off recruiting duty. Unfortunately, as far as career track goes, it's either Recruiting duty or the Drill Field. Some get a choice, some don't.

And fwiw....the war certainly doesn't help recruiters in any significant way. It could even be argued that it makes an already extremely difficult job even moreso.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#7)
Lets go toaster shopping

February 22, 2007, 05:10 PM

I really don't understand.....

"He's fighting for his job... no war... no recruits... no job.

I wonder if he paid for the sign or wrote it off as a business expense?"

and...

"he should be fired from his recruiting job"

some people here have just such a twisted view of reality, its not even funny. How stupid can you be to suggest that he "wrote it off as a business expense" ....that may work if you have a job with enron.....but not with the Marine Corps. He also isn't 'fighting for his job'....incase your shortsightedness blinded you.....there was a Marine Corps for a long time before the current war in Iraq, and if your smart you would fight to make sure there is one for long after this war. Remember that the men and women in uniform are the only thing standing between you and a beheading by some insurgent/terrorist with a dull knife.

The comment that he should be fired from his job is just as insane. As mentioned above he is expressing his opion about why he joined the Corps and why it is important. Get over yourself.

Viper Pilot
95 FZR 600 Mark II
http://www.myspace.com/viper_pilot
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ViperPilot  
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

February 22, 2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Or maybe, just maybe, he's simply voicing an all too often ignored opinion.

Considering you're normally very well informed in your arguements, I'll let this complete and utter load of crap slide.

99.99999% of recruiters would give their right arm to be off recruiting duty. Unfortunately, as far as career track goes, it's either Recruiting duty or the Drill Field. Some get a choice, some don't.

And fwiw....the war certainly doesn't help recruiters in any significant way. It could even be argued that it makes an already extremely difficult job even moreso.
Actually I think that opinion was the one we went into this catastrophe with, apparently you missed my post about the war making MORE terrorists than have ever been before... oh or my post where the patriot act and assorted legislation in relation to the war stole even more of our freedoms in the name of required security (kinda makes his sign silly, dont you think?)... or the one where we suddenly started logging well over 20 deaths a day in iraq, the whole thing went to shit... all of our allies are decreasing thier numbers there by 10-50%... AND WE'RE SENDING MORE!!!!

Never be brainwashed by affiliation... no intelligent man should be swayed by blood, citizenship, religion, or affiliation... from realizing the truth. That doesn't mean I'd disown my own brother, it just means I'd sure as shit bitch him out while I hid him!

And my statement was really quite accurate, in times of peace less recruiters are needed... that means his job might be gone and he'd be back to drilling.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#9)
Track Ho

February 22, 2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPilot
The comment that he should be fired from his job is just as insane. As mentioned above he is expressing his opion about why he joined the Corps and why it is important. Get over yourself.
when you are in the military you do not have the right to an opinion, you shut the fuck up and do your job, he should have stayed out of it

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

February 22, 2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPilot
I and if your smart you would fight to make sure there is one for long after this war. Remember that the men and women in uniform are the only thing standing between you and a beheading by some insurgent/terrorist with a dull knife.
I don't need some corps of brainwashee's to do it for me. Furthermore, as has been corroborated by MULTIPLE sources beside me, we wouldn't have a growing number of arabs seeking to chop off heads and blast the fuck out of buildings, vehicles, and airplanes if we had chosen to deal with this through other avenues...

Please please please... do your fucking homework, show me NUMBERS where our marines are making the situation around the world more peaceful or full of freedom... the only net result I've seen is Bagdad is in shambles, my country becomes MORE RESTRICTIVE every single day as my freedoms are frozen in the name of security... and asshats WHO CAN'T GET OVER THEMSELVES and thier little stint in the service can't see past thier own nose at the mess in front of them.

Please, get over yourself... the army, marines, or any other group doesn't define the truth or reality. And please don't think I don't care... as I said before, I've had the honor and privilege to watch two of these guys get carried to a six foot hole, personally. Both under 23 years old.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Last edited by B; January 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Ready To Rock & Roll!

February 22, 2007, 07:40 PM

SEMPER FREAKIN FI BROTHER!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally warn out and screaming WHOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!"

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1023383869

http://www.nki41.com/
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to norihaga  
Unread
  (#12)
Resident Rodent

February 22, 2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
He's fighting for his job... I wonder if he paid for the sign or wrote it off as a business expense?
No, Ben.

No.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com

Last edited by Magic-Rat; February 22, 2007 at 08:59 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

February 22, 2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
SEMPER FREAKIN FI BROTHER!
My exact point... made abundantly clear.

Edit: it might be good to note (before all the military junkies get all bent out of shape) that this is NOT a rejection of the viability of the Marine Corps or any else. This is a rejection of the faulty ideals they have been charged with (check with the last vote count in the senate for the increased troup count and the polls in general). These are the greater indicators of common sense, and consensus of the majority, not what I say.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Last edited by B; February 22, 2007 at 09:54 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

February 22, 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
My exact point... made abundantly clear.

Edit: it might be good to note (before all the military junkies get all bent out of shape) that this is NOT a rejection of the viability of the Marine Corps or any else. This is a rejection of the faulty ideals they have been charged with (check with the last vote count in the senate for the increased troup count and the polls in general). These are the greater indicators of common sense, and consensus of the majority, not what I say.
Good thing this country is run according to the same popularity poll like most of the members in Congress seem to adhere to.

Are you somehow trying to suggest that a majority of the American public that sees fit to get their news via TV is informed and in possession of common sense. I would think that you of all people would disagree with that statement.

Woody is right, nobody like recruiting work and war doesn't garner more recruits regardless of your job security arguement.

Your statement that this war has created more terrorists is also subject to interpretation. Certainly the US involvement in Iraq has polarized this situation for many people, however, you need only look around Europe and other areas of the world with high influxes of Muslim refugees. I know that statement has been quoted all but been quoted as fact, however, I don't choose to believe that our presence in Iraq has forced anyones hand into becoming a terrorist and if at all successful, may mitigate that formation of new ones as a result of some wealth redistribution.

Sorry about your buddies being killed but that doesn't make you opinion anymore or less factual.
Unread
  (#15)
Meh

February 22, 2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
when you are in the military you do not have the right to an opinion, you shut the fuck up and do your job, he should have stayed out of it
Not exactly. His sign is rather ambigous anyway. That being said, Marines/soldiers are equally as entitled to opinions as long as they do not interfere with following orders.