DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 525
2 members and 523 guests
Heist, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Martial Arts - Chantilly or Ballston areas
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Martial Arts - Chantilly or Ballston areas - December 14, 2009, 08:38 PM

Hey, folks,

I'm thinking about doing some martial arts training in the new year to get into better shape and hone my self-defense abilities.

I'm thinking of Muay Thai or BJJ. I've done traditional boxing and Tae Kwan Do.

Any recommendations for gyms/dojos in the Chantilly or Ballston areas? Both areas are convenient for me.

Just doing random Google searches, I came up with the Capital Jiu-Jitsu Academy (Loudoun), Jiu Jitsu Now Academy (Chantilly) and Northern Virginia Mixed Martial Arts (Arlington). Anyone been to any of those and have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Popplers!

December 14, 2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex View Post
Hey, folks,

I'm thinking about doing some martial arts training in the new year to get into better shape and hone my self-defense abilities.

Any recommendations for gyms/dojos in the Chantilly or Ballston areas? Both areas are convenient for me.

Just doing random Google searches, I came up with the Capital Jiu-Jitsu Academy (Loudoun), Jiu Jitsu Now Academy (Chantilly) and Northern Virginia Mixed Martial Arts (Arlington). Anyone been to any of those and have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
A friend of mine goes to Capital in Sterling, he just got his teaching cert. I'm thinking of joining - let me know if you check it out.
Unread
  (#3)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

December 14, 2009, 09:28 PM

There's a bunch of good people at Capital no doubt.

Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

December 14, 2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Hey, folks,

Thanks in advance.
I have been wanting to get into mix martial arts. If you decide to get into it let me know if you would want someone to train with. I am in pretty good shape but I get bored with running and stuff.
Unread
  (#5)
Noob-alishish

December 14, 2009, 10:46 PM

I used to do MMA training but didnt have anyone to get into it with here.

if someone is down around alexandria area I'll be game without a doubt!!

Remember to Breathe.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Now with a TBSP of love

December 15, 2009, 12:47 AM

I have a friend that is the Muay Thai instructor (Kru) at NOVAMMA. I would definitely recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0n8gkdW6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8PiVbj1EU

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Last edited by Spiritnblk; December 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#7)
Speed Safely

December 15, 2009, 07:46 AM

you could also try a little something different: Kali-Escrima, the filipino stick fighting martial art. Unlike just about every other martial art, Kali/Escrima/Arnis starts you off with a weapon in your hand and progresses to empty hand. The underlying philosophy is that any strike you make with a weapon can be duplicated with an empty hand.

If you are interested in learning self defense that will keep you alive, this is the place I would go to if it was closer to me:

http://completefitnessconcepts.com/martial%20arts.htm

2004 Honda CBR 600RR Black/Silver (sold after 42K miles)
2010 BMW S1000RR Thunder Grey

Pinoy, and proud of it!

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
Unread
  (#8)
Street Bonk Bum.....

December 15, 2009, 08:02 AM

i used to train in Kenpo for years up till HS...i am thinkin bout gettting back into it....i got all the way to brown belt but playing sports in HS got in the way and i never got my black i am sure i would have to start all over if i got back into it...i just googled my old instructor and he is a 7th degree black now he was a 2nd or 3rd back when i trained....

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

December 15, 2009, 08:21 AM

Ive been doing BJJ for about 6-7 years now. BJJ is great cardio and is a good ground fighting style.

Before you join a gym make sure you know what youre getting into as far as the school goes.

Ask questions like is there a contract (not necessarily bad. Just stay away from 2+> contracts no matter how much youre saving). Ask about prices. Anything more than $120 for less than 3x week is kinda expensive. Ask about test fees (if any). I can tell you horror stories about belt test fees.

We can talk openly here or pm. Makes no difference. We can keep it open so others know too.

Just a little background on my Martial Arts:
6-7 years BJJ. Currently a Purple Belt under Leo Dalla
1-2 years of Maui Thai, FMA (Filipino Martial Arts - Kali (knife and stick fighting), JKD (Jeet Koon Do - Bruce Lees Art)

I dont really have a thing for Traditional Martial Arts like TKD or Karate. And if you say Cardio Kickboxing is a MA, Ill hurt you.

Both TKD and Karate have serious flaws when taught in this country. I mean really...a 5-10 year old blackbelt...really! I just can't give credit to them. A blackbelt is a blackbelt in a particular Art. There is no way a 5 year old can effectively defend themselves against a 40 yr old blackbelt let alone a non-trained 20 year old.

All MA have weaknesses. Some are more dominate standing up, while some are ground based. Mix it up. Just stay away from Karate and TKD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!

Last edited by hfam95; December 15, 2009 at 08:30 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

December 15, 2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
And if you say Cardio Kickboxing is a MA, Ill hurt you.
I have a 7th degree black belt in Billy Blanks' Tae Bo--the ultimate martial art.

Seriously, thanks for everyone's feedback. Sounds like I've come upon at least a couple of good gyms. I never thought about test fees (or multiple year contracts, for that matter). Are they really that outrageous?

I'm actually not so much into progressing (via belts) as I am wanting to get in better physical condition and feel more confident about my self-defense abilities. In other words, if I progressed in belts, that would be a tangential result, not my main goal.
Unread
  (#11)
Street Bonk Bum.....

December 15, 2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
Ive been doing BJJ for about 6-7 years now. BJJ is great cardio and is a good ground fighting style.

Before you join a gym make sure you know what youre getting into as far as the school goes.

Ask questions like is there a contract (not necessarily bad. Just stay away from 2+> contracts no matter how much youre saving). Ask about prices. Anything more than $120 for less than 3x week is kinda expensive. Ask about test fees (if any). I can tell you horror stories about belt test fees.

We can talk openly here or pm. Makes no difference. We can keep it open so others know too.

Just a little background on my Martial Arts:
6-7 years BJJ. Currently a Purple Belt under Leo Dalla
1-2 years of Maui Thai, FMA (Filipino Martial Arts - Kali (knife and stick fighting), JKD (Jeet Koon Do - Bruce Lees Art)

I dont really have a thing for Traditional Martial Arts like TKD or Karate. And if you say Cardio Kickboxing is a MA, Ill hurt you.

Both TKD and Karate have serious flaws when taught in this country. I mean really...a 5-10 year old blackbelt...really! I just can't give credit to them. A blackbelt is a blackbelt in a particular Art. There is no way a 5 year old can effectively defend themselves against a 40 yr old blackbelt let alone a non-trained 20 year old.

All MA have weaknesses. Some are more dominate standing up, while some are ground based. Mix it up. Just stay away from Karate and TKD.
lyoto machida style is karate based......

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#12)
Noob-alishish

December 15, 2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
you could also try a little something different: Kali-Escrima, the filipino stick fighting martial art. Unlike just about every other martial art, Kali/Escrima/Arnis starts you off with a weapon in your hand and progresses to empty hand. The underlying philosophy is that any strike you make with a weapon can be duplicated with an empty hand.

If you are interested in learning self defense that will keep you alive, this is the place I would go to if it was closer to me:

http://completefitnessconcepts.com/martial%20arts.htm

where is that? Looks sweet!

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#13)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

December 15, 2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I have a 7th degree black belt in Billy Blanks' Tae Bo--the ultimate martial art.

Seriously, thanks for everyone's feedback. Sounds like I've come upon at least a couple of good gyms. I never thought about test fees (or multiple year contracts, for that matter). Are they really that outrageous?

I'm actually not so much into progressing (via belts) as I am wanting to get in better physical condition and feel more confident about my self-defense abilities. In other words, if I progressed in belts, that would be a tangential result, not my main goal.
You should stop by CJJ one evening, talk to some people and watch. The schedule is up on the website. The Loudoun one is newer, I haven't been there but I know the one in Alexandria was insanely clean which was important to me and everyone is friendly/eager to help. It's in the Gracie BJJ network too which is awesome.

http://www.gracieva.com/programs.php

Last edited by StrayR6; December 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: add link
Unread
  (#14)
Noob-alishish

December 15, 2009, 10:30 AM

I live in alexandria I might have to go check that place out!!

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#15)
wet gloves = bad

December 15, 2009, 11:26 AM

For something entirely different (but maybe not so much, after all), you could try the aikido dojo in Ballston: http://www.aikido-nova.org/

I haven't trained there, but have trained with people from there, including Jim, the head instructor.