DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
0 members and 527 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Martial Arts Movies
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a secksy boi!

Martial Arts Movies - November 15, 2010, 03:54 PM

So I'm not a HUGE fan, because I'd like to think that it has to take some great fight scenes for me to love the movie. I recently checked out "Ip Man," starring Donnie Yen. After seeing him in Flash Point, he definitely is my favorite.

Edit: Oh and even if you don't care for subtitles, check out "Ip Man." The scene where Donnie fights 10 men at once is pretty awesome. The situation that put him in that mood and seeing him kick major ass definitely got me hyped.

Anyone else dabble or completely in to it? I'm not talkin "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"-type movies. I don't particularly care for things that are blatantly unrealistic.

'06 GSX-R600

Last edited by dwnWrob; November 15, 2010 at 03:57 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to dwnWrob Send a message via AIM to dwnWrob  
Unread
  (#2)
cake > pie

November 15, 2010, 04:01 PM

Use to watch alot of Kung-fu theater on Saturdays when I was a kid. Everytime I am at Potomac Mills they have the kiosk that sells a bunch of that genre.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

November 15, 2010, 04:08 PM

Check out Ong Bak or Tom yum Goong... Thai martial arts movies with Tony Jaa...They have pretty epic fight scenes.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
cake > pie

November 15, 2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landell View Post
Check out Ong Bak or Tom yum Goong... Thai martial arts movies with Tony Jaa...They have pretty epic fight scenes.
I have heard good stuff about Ong Bak. Did I hear something about a part 2 for it?
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

November 15, 2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_now View Post
I have heard good stuff about Ong Bak. Did I hear something about a part 2 for it?
Yup part 2 came out last year. Its a prequel of sorts but still has great action.
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

November 15, 2010, 04:38 PM

Also check out CHOCOLATE, its another Thai movie directed by the guy the did Ong Bak.
Unread
  (#7)
Cabin Fever

November 15, 2010, 04:38 PM

legend of the drunken master-favorite movie ever.

2000 yamaha R6(wrecked and abandoned)'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
You wanna talk about learning from someone else's mistake. (ATGATT)
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

November 15, 2010, 04:45 PM

There was thread like this about 5 months ago where I brought up Ip Man.

Run a search.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Happiness Consultant

November 16, 2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnWrob View Post
Anyone else dabble or completely in to it? I'm not talkin "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"-type movies. I don't particularly care for things that are blatantly unrealistic.
Kind of a weird question when you realize that Martial Arts movies are a type of Action flick. I certainly enjoy them because of my appreciation for Martial Arts. I can't say I have a favorite (movie or actor) - all those guys are impressive.

Some random thoughts on MA in the movies.

I recently watched Ip Man - which is loosely based (and filled with quite a few embellishments) on the life of Yip Man, who is considered to be the first to openly teach Wing Chun whose most notable student is the late Bruce Lee. Although I enjoyed Ip Man, I don't recall seeing a lot of pure Wing Chun - which I trained in many years ago. If you want to see a movie with some great Wing Chun, check Rapid Fire starring the late Brandon Lee - son of Bruce. Towards the end, he is in a fight scene with Al Leong which showcases quite a bit of Wing Chun and JKD.

Donnie Yen incidentally was in Blade 2, which starred Wesley Snipes - who is a life long martial artist. Of the 3 Blade movies, its Blade 2 that showcases his MA skills the most. I remember watching that movie with some friends who describe all MA as 'Kung Fu' - I quote: 'that was like a vampire/kung fu movie'

If you at all like sword play, check the Zatoichi movies on Hulu. The stories aren't that bad either.

The Ninja movies of the 80s are also good - although campy for today's standards. Ninja Assassin from last year was pretty cool to watch and brought back Sho Kosuki - the Ninja from the Ninja movies of the 80s.

I cannot make it through any Tony Jaa movies ... the stories are meh and the acting or overacting gets on my nerves. Nothing against Jaa, the man is an exceptional MA talent, but his movies aren't.

I would also like to mention 'The Hunted' starring Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. No - neither of these guys are martial artists an the movie is not a MA movie but it does feature a lot of Sayoc Kali - and although Kali/FMA usually is known for the stick fighting - they showcase the knives. The final fight between Jones and Del Toro is pretty sweet. Sayoc, incidentally is what Matt Damon used in the first Bourne movie - most notably in the bank scene. I'm not sure if they still do now, but I know that in the 90s, many members of SEAL Team 2 and 6 trained extensively in Kali/Escrima and watching 'The Hunted' will show you what they learn.

Tommy Lee Jones also does some knife fighting with Steven Seagal in Under Siege. Although Seagal is notable for his work in Aikido, that particular fight was straight Kali/Escrima/FMA. The legendary Dan Inosanto was hired to teach Jones. Inosanto and Seagal also have a fight scene - mostly Escrima in 'Out for Justice'.

Say what you want about how the current Steven Seagal, but Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death and (mentioned above) Out For Justice - were pretty good at showcasing Aikido. They're also good for showing off Seagal's ego - but thats another topic.

Anyway - thats just a few good ones off the top of my head. I'll be sure to check out Donnie Yen in Flash Point.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#10)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

November 16, 2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnWrob View Post
So I'm not a HUGE fan, because I'd like to think that it has to take some great fight scenes for me to love the movie. I recently checked out "Ip Man," starring Donnie Yen. After seeing him in Flash Point, he definitely is my favorite.

Edit: Oh and even if you don't care for subtitles, check out "Ip Man." The scene where Donnie fights 10 men at once is pretty awesome. The situation that put him in that mood and seeing him kick major ass definitely got me hyped.

Yep another fighter from hong kong, he is base on a real person and was a legend. Not too many people knows him yet.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)

Last edited by J dubbz; November 16, 2010 at 08:20 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Mojito Anyone?

November 16, 2010, 08:08 AM

Let me make a list.. it may take a while..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

November 16, 2010, 08:16 AM

Riki-Oh - FTW!
Unread
  (#13)
www.udothedishes.com

November 16, 2010, 10:37 AM

House of Flying Daggers is one of my favorites.

On the completely non realistic side, you guys should check out the trailer for The Warrior Way. Western/Martial arts mix that comes out in December. I'm not completely sold but it looks promising.

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

November 16, 2010, 11:40 AM

Old school- Five Deadly Venoms

And I agree with Eduardo- Zatoichi is a BADASS!
Unread
  (#15)
Happiness Consultant

Cool November 16, 2010, 12:56 PM

Bored to death at work so I compiled this list

Bruce Lee flicks - Enter the Dragon, Fists of Fury, Way of the Dragon, Game of Death - how can you not pick him since Enter the Dragon pretty much opened the Western world's eyes to MA movies. I actually like Way of the Dragon best, featuring Chuck Norris's first foray into MA films and an epic fight sequence between him and Lee. Game of Death is pretty cool in featuring a fight scene between Lee and Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, who was a student of Lee's.

Incidentally, the movie 'Dragon' which is an autobiographical account of Lee's life is pretty good.

Jackie Chan - can't forget him, he's done a ton of flicks but the ones I like are:
  • The Big Brawl
  • Drunken Master - I liked the fighting but not the movie
  • Police Story, The Protector
  • Rumble in the Bronx
  • Who am I?

I liked the Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour flicks - but they are more action comedy then MA.

Jet Li - IMO he brought MA back to Hollywood with his role in Lethal Weapon IV, Jackie Chan was trying, but Li got it done.
  • Fist of Legend, which is a remake of Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury
  • Kiss of the Dragon - back when Bridget Fonda was
  • Hero
  • Unleashed
  • Fearless - this one is on par with Ip Man

Tony Jaa - again, I cannot get through any of his movies, and that pretty much goes for anything coming out of Thailand. I pretty much FFW to all the fight scenes.

I also want to list 'Kung Fu Hustle' - which renewed my interest in MA movies. Its a silly story but filled with great MA.

From this list: Martial arts film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've seen most of these starting with Bruce Lee's 'The Big Boss'.

Here are my thoughts:

I am appalled that anything with Jean Claude Van Damme is on this list, especially Timecop.

In Jean Claude's defense - IMHO the movies in which he does MA = His non-MA movies (Hard Target, Nowhere to Run) are actually decent action films.

I'm also offended by the 'Kung Fu' TV series being on the list since its basically Hollywood showing how racist it is by casting a Caucasian in an Asian role. However, I do understand that at the time, with the Vietnam war going on, it would probably be impossible to sell the American public on anything starring an Asian - and Hollywood, being all about money (as well as racist) did what it had to do to make said money.

'Under Siege' - IMHO marks where Steven Seagal starts getting stupid in his movies. He starts to introduce more gun play and several other styles of MA into his films starting with this movie. He also starts becoming invincible in all his movies after this. This is pretty much the start of his downfall as well as when his waistline and ego start growing exponentially.

'Best of the Best' - arguably one of the best Tae Kwon Do movies out there. The final fight between (real life brothers) Simon and Phillip Rhee is pretty damn awesome. Huge minus - Putting Chris Penn, younger, fatter brother of Sean in this movie - this is really an effing joke. They should've stopped with this one, because the sequels - which had awesome MA, were quite stupid.

Chocolate - Do I really need to mention (again) how much everything coming out of Thailand is silly to me?

Mortal Kombat - really? I would laugh but it isn't really that funny, the MA can only be appreciated by people with extreme cases of mental retardation, this is right up there with the Jean Claude MA movies.

Some more non-MA/action movies that do have MA scenes:

Kill Bill vol. 1 - how could you not enjoy Uma Thurman, wearing the same outfit Bruce Lee wears in 'Game of Death' and using a sword fashioned for her character by Sonny Chiba, slicing and dicing the out of all the ninjas?

Matrix 1 and 2 - especially #2, the fight scenes here are quite entertaining and packed with quality MA - even if it is Keanu Reeves.

Equilibrium - starring Batman err, umm American Psycho, oh yeah Christian Bale - Gun Kata! anyone with an appreciation for guns will pop a tent watching this one.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave