DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 591
2 members and 589 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Maryland And Pennsylvania Requiring Self-Extinguishing Cigarettes
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Post Maryland And Pennsylvania Requiring Self-Extinguishing Cigarettes - July 9, 2008, 11:39 PM

HAGERSTOWN, MD -
A new law in Maryland and another in Pennsylvania say smokers can only smoke "fire safe cigarettes" within their state lines. The cigarettes are supposed to prevent fires.
It's an all too common story” someone falls asleep while smoking a cigarette. Suddenly, there's a fire.
"Quite a few of the fatal fires that I've been to in my 28 years have been directly attributed to an improperly discarded cigarette in a trash can, or someone falling asleep on a piece of furniture," said Mike Weller with the Hagerstown Fire Department.
Now something is being done about it. Both Maryland and Pennsylvania have passed laws requiring cigarettes to be fire safe.
Here's how it works: a cigarette that is not being smoked will extinguish itself. The cigarettes have speed bumps inside the paper.

Studies show smokers cannot tell a difference in the taste.
“There was only a change in the thickness of the paper. This is not going to have a change on the cigarette or the filter or anyway the chemicals in that cigarette," said Jane Edwards from the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
"I've been smoking for about five years. I can’t tell a difference, it’s not like it’s really a big deal," said Jerry Lescalleet.
Last year in the state of Maryland, 93 people were killed in fires. Of those, 25 were started by smoking related materials.
Weller added, "It takes the human factor out of the safety initiative. As far as a person doesn't have to think about, ‘Oh I have to put that cigarette over here,’ it is going to do it automatically."

Officials warn the cigarettes are safer, but not totally fire safe. But firefighters are hoping the new cigarettes will help save lives by snuffing out fires before they even start.
The state fire marshal says stores that sell non-fire-safe cigarettes may face penalties, but she says those penalties are minor and will not likely be enforced regularly.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)

July 9, 2008, 11:44 PM

Fire Safe Cigarettes burn very poorly. Taste is the same, but they definitely go out if neglected and have mad runs(don't burn evenly). Fack!

DON'T BECOME A STATISTIC!
Ride a Kawasaki.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Banned!

July 10, 2008, 12:46 AM

August 2007 called, they want their headline news back.
Unread
  (#4)
Face Down @$$ UP

July 10, 2008, 11:01 AM

Sorry if you think this outdated. This came directly from The Capitol's Website, in Annapolis. Do alittle research before, you post a retarded reply.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#5)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 10, 2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetFighter
August 2007 called, they want their headline news back.

Please quote your source that this is news from August 2007.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Last edited by Rossi; July 10, 2008 at 12:10 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

July 10, 2008, 01:52 PM

I am buying stock in BIC lighters.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
GrayFox

July 12, 2008, 03:15 PM

July 9, 2008 http://your4state.com/content/fulltext/?cid=20981

The packs have FSC labeled next to the barcode on the side. They are a pain in the ass and some friends have said they do taste different. Though that's most likely a placebo effect.