DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
1 members and 533 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Mattress connection?
Unread
  (#1)
Elite Racing

Mattress connection? - July 12, 2008, 03:58 PM

Anyone have a connection at a mattress place? The wife and I are in need of a new bed. We'll use the local Mattress Discounters if need be, but I thought I'd check.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 12, 2008, 06:35 PM

No connections, but Boom and I recently bought a Bergad mattress: http://www.bergad.com/

At $1300 for the queen mattress, box spring, coolmax cover, and delivery...it was the best money we have spent so far. These mattresses are just as good, if not better than the overpriced tempurpedic. We have had it for at least four months now and it feels just like it did the day we got it
Unread
  (#3)
I don't like you

July 12, 2008, 08:56 PM

No hookup but I bought a matress recently at matress discounters...the thing to do is ask them what they have in the back for cheap. They sell the displays cheap, which I wouldn't go with, but they also sell the matresses that have a small tear in the bag for ridiculously cheap. When they go to deliver them, if the bag gets even the smallest tear in it, they can't deliver it and they can't send it back. Basically they are fucked and stuck with it. I got a 2000 dollar simmons matress for 300 bucks.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 13, 2008, 08:47 AM

no hookup but you can usually hussle ethe hell out of them. mattress shops are very very similar to car dealerships. if you keep pulling their arm, they'll keep reducing the price and when they don't budge on the price anymore, you can get them to start throwing in free delivery, free bed frames, fee pillows, free mattress covers, etc.

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#5)

July 13, 2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj
no hookup but you can usually hussle ethe hell out of them. mattress shops are very very similar to car dealerships. if you keep pulling their arm, they'll keep reducing the price and when they don't budge on the price anymore, you can get them to start throwing in free delivery, free bed frames, fee pillows, free mattress covers, etc.

Everytime I get on my bike I tell myself, "I'm going to chill, go the speed limit" How long do you think that lasts for? Exactly!
Blame it on my short term memory!!
Unread
  (#6)
Spike

July 13, 2008, 04:00 PM

Got me a bed for free. I HIGHLY recommend if you can find a Sterns & Foster pillow top on sale...GET IT!!!!!

Good luck in your search!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

July 13, 2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev07
It was a good piece of advice! What makes it stupid?

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#8)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 13, 2008, 06:28 PM

my little mattress knowledge.
My extensive research on mattresses....

I read consumer reports, read a dozen websites, visited every mattress store in the area, and concluded the following:

The industry is a scam. You can't price shop mattresses because the big companies make changes to the look of them for each store. Even though the insides might be the same you cannot compare one mattress to another. The only way really is to lay on them and pick the one that is most comfortable to you. But everyone knows that if you buy it from a store you will get ripped off. Having figured this out I was discouraged and pissed off. Every mattress salesman will tell you that there are a few levels of mattresses. You have the sealys, sertas, and simmons which are the middle of the road mattresses and then you have your generic ones, specialty ones such as the foam mattresses and then there is sterns and foster. Sterns and Foster is the Roles Royce of the mattress industry. Everyone says it is the best so I went to Sears to lay on one. The big difference I noticed is the quality of the mattress. When I was on the edge of every other mattress the edge wouldn't be able to support my weight. Sterns and Foster mattresses have this thick padding along the edge that lets you sleep right the edge of the mattress without it collapsing. If you are concerned about spring count then don't be. This is another one of those gimics that mattress stores try to tell you - since people love to comparison shop they just throw in this number so people can satisfy their apatite for comparing and thinking they got the best deal or the highest spring count. The mattresses with the higher spring counts have lower gauge coils (thinner metal) so you need more of them to support your body weight. I wouldn't focus too much on this number. Warrenty in mattresses is meaningless - when was the last time you heard of anyone returning a mattress? Consumer Reports even says that only .01% of all warrentys are used.

So in summary I decided that I can't go wrong with the best mattress on the market. It has the thickest gauge coils, the best reputation, and is the easiest of all the mattress brands to compare. They are all built the same - some just have added foam layers on top for pillow tops or euro tops - etc. My problem with pillow tops is that the foam which is usually a bunch of different foams wears out after a few years so I decided to get a firm Sterns and Foster and get my own foam from overstock. After a few years I can replace the foam and the bed will be like new again since the foundation is the best in the business.

Memory Foam comes in different flavors as well. You can have 2.5lbs density foam all the way to 5lbs density foam. Generally the more dense the longer it is going to last and the more it will cost. Overstock has some 4lb density foam that I got for under a hundred bucks. You can choose 2", 3", or 4" foam. If you sleep on your side and back you can get the 3 or 4 inch foam but if you sleep on your stomach then I would not recommend more than 2".

I went to Sears and laid on a Sterns and Foster pillow top - I ended up buying the firm mattress and putting a 2" foam on it and they feel exactly the same. I sleep on my side so Im thinking of getting another 2" foam. Bedco promises that there will be no physical damage - only cosmetic.

The King Sterns and Foster firm mattress with boxspring goes for $2700 normally. When these stores have sales you might be able to pick it up for around $1700. Bedco had it for $750 - with shipping and foam from overstock it was under $1000. I found 3 black marks from where the plastic had ripped and if I really wanted to I could have washed those off but you never see it anyway since its under your sheets. The only other thing I bought was a mattress protector which I put over the foam and mattress so that if i spill anything i can just take that off and wash it and nothing will make it to the foam and mattress.

I am buying every mattress like this from now on - anyone who doesn't is just throwing their money away.

http://stores.ebay.com/bedco-com

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"

Last edited by pauliodotnet; July 13, 2008 at 06:30 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Spike

July 13, 2008, 07:06 PM

EXCELLENT write up Paulio!

I am a HUGE fan of overstock.com, it is the greatest website EVAR!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#10)
liar, liar

July 15, 2008, 10:55 AM

No hookup, but I heard a radio commercial about bringing in a gas receipt and getting money off.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hotpants  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

July 15, 2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpants
No hookup, but I heard a radio commercial about bringing in a gas receipt and getting money off.

I heard this morning and was just about to Post it...i think it was Mattress Discounters. You could also check out Costco.com or even some costcos have them instock. I know a couple of .Net members have bought from them and been happy
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to java927  
Unread
  (#12)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 15, 2008, 01:47 PM

i would reccomend reading my long post

-

I tow 747s

Unread
  (#13)
Elite Racing

July 15, 2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Paulio.

Not sure what route we're going to go, but we sure did find a comfy Seally at Mattress Discounters the other day.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

Paulio, what size bed did you get? Did the price include the box spring?

Im tellin you, the Bergad Isoform bed that Sharon and I got is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on. Jay (Boom Boom) and Kirsten (shavedmonkey) have the same bed. The mattress itself is 12 inches thick, which includes 5 inches of 5lb viscoelastic foam. If you already have the box spring, you can get a Queen delivered for $1,159.00. Bergad also has a no interest, no payments plan for something like a year I believe. Another cool thing about them is that they will custom make a matress for any application. You just give them the length, width, and depth/thickness.
Unread
  (#15)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 15, 2008, 03:48 PM

$929.81 shipped to my door: King size & box springs

Beautiful Stearns and Foster Hotel Collection Cushion-Firm King Mattress on Custom Foundations

-

I tow 747s