DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 526
3 members and 523 guests
CCS762ZX6, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
max commute you can handle?
Unread
  (#1)

max commute you can handle? - April 7, 2012, 10:50 PM

Anyone live in Tysons (Vienna)/Oakton/Fairfax area and have to commute to Arlington/Pentagon area?

How bad is that commute?

Oakton appears to have more back road options than Tysons/Vienna area. Fairfax is so big I realize it is hard focus on.

Just curious, debating on moving out west or staying in Clarendon. Cool area, just not hitting the bars (at all) and bit over living on top of each other.

Hard to give up less than 10 minute commute. Home value/what you get for the money between the locations is not the issue - just curious as to how much is the commute worth (or not worth) to you.

Thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpetologist

April 7, 2012, 11:07 PM

I lived in Vienna for awhile, learned how to ride on the Oakton back roads and AFAIK are only good for getting between Reston and Vienna. All those roads dump right into the Vienna / Tysons clusterfuck. Let's just say I lived 3 miles from 495 and it took 20 minutes to get there. I tried every possible road. But after 495 I generally experienced smooth sailing through McLean and into Arlington, except once you get near the Chain Bridge. Almost guaranteed to sit for another 10+ minutes or so there every morning. Get past that and it's probably smooth again deeper into Arlington (I work in Silver Spring so I always took 495 or the chain bridge going from there).

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; April 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

April 7, 2012, 11:21 PM

I lived in McLean/Falls Church area for a while in the past and the fastest way down to Pentagon area is GW Parkway and these days that road is facked with traffic. If you take inside roads running parallel 66 will probably be your best bet if you know them. Honestly no commute is easy in DC area so I say if you found a place you really love just do it.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS Recruiter

April 8, 2012, 08:11 AM

If you love and can afford to, stay in Clarendon. I recent switched jobs partially because of the shitty commute. I'm in Fairfax near Fair Oaks and was commuting almost to the Pentagon area. There is really no quick/fun/less stressful way to do it. 30 mins on a GOOD day; 40/45 on a regular day; hour plus on a bad day. They only way really to avoid the rush in the morning, is before 7 or after 9:30/10.

Personally, a short commute was HIGHLY worth it for me. Now I have less than five minute commute. My days start and end MUCH better due to the reduced stress level.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 8, 2012, 10:14 AM

I don't have a NoVA commute but... I get around the whole traffic issue by getting to work at 5:30am (glad I've got the flexibility to go in early). It can suck some days but every once in awhile I go in later and remember why I go so early. I'm actually pretty acclimated to my 55 mile one way commute after doing it for so long (western Fredneck county to Silver Spring).
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 8, 2012, 10:17 AM

Used to go from ashburn to NW DC daily. Either ride in with stillie and birdman on the toll road, or is ride my motorcycle down Georgetown pike etc etc. Sometimes I'd drive to Vienna and take the metro. Any way you sliced it, it sucked .

Now I drive 9 miles down dahlgren road on my bike. Sooooo much less stress in my life as a result

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 8, 2012, 10:43 AM

Don't do it. If you don't mind your current location stay there. Commuting sucks period. The drivers are the worst. Things are not going to get better. For me I like the country side, hate northern virgina period for many reasons. But I pay the price in commuting and can't stand it. Fitz has got it made.
Unread
  (#8)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 8, 2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trireme
Don't do it. If you don't mind your current location stay there. Commuting sucks period. The drivers are the worst. Things are not going to get better. For me I like the country side, hate northern virgina period for many reasons. But I pay the price in commuting and can't stand it. Fitz has got it made.
My company is hiring. Bowheadsupport.com

Pm me for referral info

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#9)
On vacation

April 8, 2012, 11:17 AM

MS. D lives in Fairfax and works in Arlington and she was always complaining about it. I made the trip with her once and I wanted to shoot myself. My 7 min commute to work has me spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

April 8, 2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My company is hiring. Bowheadsupport.com

Pm me for referral info
I have been doing work at your location for two years now. Actually will be there this week wed-thurs. I am looking currently so I will pm you.
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 8, 2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trireme
I have been doing work at your location for two years now. Actually will be there this week wed-thurs. I am looking currently so I will pm you.
Pm me your info and we will link up

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

April 8, 2012, 02:20 PM

Slightly off-topic but when I moved to NoVA we came directly into Woodbridge. After a year here I am so glad that we moved into the 95 corridor instead of the 66 corridor. Commute times might not be that much better but the traffic flows much more smoothly than the 66 area. Both on hgwy and regular streets.

No metro this way which sucks for general public commute, but the VRE is excellent for commute into near-DC business areas.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#13)
2 wheels for life

April 8, 2012, 03:18 PM

Longer the commute, greater the chances of getting a ticket!

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
That-boy-wonder

April 8, 2012, 05:42 PM

Not the area you was talking about, but my commute was from Fredericksburg (17) to Tyson's and that commute was a B! On the bike it was faster because of the HOV but summer months Thursdays and Fridays were always hit or miss with traffic.

We personally moved there because we got more options (house, land, amenities, etc...) for the money. The commute can kick your behind, but I personally love life better being way outside of DC then when I lived in Arlington.

01 GSXR-750 - tracked by "udntno235"
07 GSXR-750 (New hotness!!)

RIP: Angie "A-Boogie" Johnson
12.15.82 - 8.2.10

Metafor Enterprises, LLC
http://www.metafor.com
http://shop.metafor.com

-"I'll cut you too short to shit"-
-"Only God can control my destiny, so I'm rolling on and looking thru the next turn"-
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Chasing the dragon

April 8, 2012, 06:18 PM

My current commute is 70 miles one way (La Plata to Shady Grove) and is about 1.5 hrs on paper. My Friday roll home makes me want to punch babies. I don't know the NoVA area but if you have a short commute, don't give it up unless you gain a sh1tton in something else (i.e. personal hobbies easier to access, better housing, cheaper living, etc.)

Oh and the current gas spike will make that short commute worth more then gold and platinum.